Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Postby Spangler » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:43 pm

Imo, Kanon is one of the most compelling characters in Rebels.

I like the idea of a padawan who was never able to complete his training, but is suddenly in a position to play the role of a Jedi master, when he's nowhere qualified for the job.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:46 pm

Also, this thread needs more Ayala Secura.
A Google Image search here goes sideways a lot faster than you might think.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:47 pm

Also, this thread needs more Ayala Secura.
A Google Image search here goes sideways a lot faster than you might think.
:lol: Noted.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:48 pm

Imo, Kanon is one of the most compelling characters in Rebels.

I like the idea of a padawan who was never able to complete his training, but is suddenly in a position to play the role of a Jedi master, when he's nowhere qualified for the job.
:thumb:

The way his connection to Lothal is unfolding is pretty interesting.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:48 pm

Never really got around to posting my thoughts on The Last Jedi, but they pretty much echo the positive statements made about the movie in this topic. I thought it was a very good movie that really did not go as I expected, which I very much enjoyed. Some general musings:

- I like the idea of "Superman Leia" or whatever you want to call it, but visually it looked weird.
- Finn's story was the weakest part of the movie for me. I generally liked the theme of it (defense contracting/war profiteering) but some of the dialogue between he and Rose just didn't work for me.
- Had no issues with the humor some people ***** about. Star Wars has always been cheesy.
- Mark Hamill was fantastic. Probably the best live action acting of his career.
- Similarly, Adam Driver is great and really makes Kylo Ren work as an unhinged and conflicted villain.
- Daisy Ridley looks better than she acts, but she looks really good.
- I love that the movie took the stance that the force is for everyone while noting that the Jedi have kind of been responsible for screwing **** up.
- ****-stirring puppet Yoda is the best Yoda.
- I hope Phasma is back for IX. I would take great joy from a running gag where she completely sucks but manages to survive everything.
- The light speed collision was amazing. To go along with that, as much as I love the original movies what they can now do for the space and air battles really elevates the action elements of the new movies. Just some incredible stuff.

Probably the weirdest thing about the movie to me is that not only did it take place immediately after TFA, but it only covered what seemed like 48 hours at most. So where the hell do the go from here? Two-thirds of the way through this new trilogy and we've seen like a week pass in the Star Wars universe and the entire resistance fits on the Millennium Falcon. I'd like for this trilogy to go on for at least another two movies.

After rewatching the entire movie series in chronological order leading up to The Last Jedi, my rankings:

Rogue One
Empire
A New Hope
The Last Jedi
Return of the Jedi/The Force Awakens

Revenge of the Sith
The Phanton Menace
Attack of the Clones

I love Rogue One. It expands the universe, enhances A New Hope, shows the resistance devoid of Jedi involvement, has the best Darth Vader scene in the series, and makes it feel like the universe does not actually revolve around the Skywalker family. Empire is Empire. A New Hope is a great introduction to the universe and characters.

Return of the Jedi exists in two forms for me - the version that I grew up with and was my favorite Star Wars movie as a kid and the Special Edition version that inserts that horrific Jedi Rocks nonsense in Jabba's Palace. The original version is an awesome ending to the trilogy with the best space battles of the OT and an awesome light saber duel between hero and the ultimate villain. The Special Edition version reeks of prequel trilogy shenanigans and would be ranked lower on the list. The Force Awakens was an awesome introduction to the new trilogy and new characters while saying goodbye to a beloved hero.

Those six movies are head and shoulder above the prequel trilogy. Even though Revenge of the Sith is the best of the bunch, it still sucks, wraps up a poorly constructed story, and the light saber duel between Anakin and Obi-wan is near unwatchable because of the horrific CGI environment they are in. The Phantom Menace sucks and everyone knows it sucks, but as an overly long kid's movie with an annoying character and an awesome but completely underused villain I can at least sit through it. The Clone Wars is one of the biggest pieces of **** ever put to film. Terrible story, acting, dialogue, plot. Dexter Jettster. Actors pretend walking through an endless stream of CGI environments that don't exist. The Geonosis battle looks like a game at Dave and Buster's that no one wants to play. The entire thing is just ****. Lucas and the prequel trilogy could have recovered from TPM if this movie didn't suck, but it managed to suck even more.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:00 pm

:thumb: well said!

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:02 pm

That hyperdrive collision was super amazeballs.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:02 pm

Probably the weirdest thing about the movie to me is that not only did it take place immediately after TFA, but it only covered what seemed like 48 hours at most.
How much time elapses in the SW universe between Jyn Erso's rescue ("Congratulations!") to the Battle of Yavin? Two, maybe three, days? (Er, 'rotations')

ROTJ is only around six months after ESB.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:07 pm

Loved the Lothcats in the last few episodes of Rebels. Really well done, and not a throwaway episode among them.

Last Jedi potential spoilers:
Could those resistance groups in the outer rim that Leia et al are contacting at the end of Last Jedi be Kanan and/or Ezra? That would be pretty cool.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:25 pm

Probably the weirdest thing about the movie to me is that not only did it take place immediately after TFA, but it only covered what seemed like 48 hours at most.
How much time elapses in the SW universe between Jyn Erso's rescue ("Congratulations!") to the Battle of Yavin? Two, maybe three, days? (Er, 'rotations')

ROTJ is only around six months after ESB.
Star Wars Wikia puts it like this:

32 BBY - The Phantom Menance
22 BBY - Attack of the Clones
19 BBY - Revenge of the Sith
0 BBY - Rogue One
0 ABY - A New Hope
3 ABY - Empire Strikes Back
4 ABY - Return of the Jedi
34 ABY - The Force Awakens
34 ABY - The Last Jedi

So the PT covers a 13 year period and the OT (plus Rogue One) covers a 4 year period. The ST so far has covered like two weeks.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:32 pm

Loved the Lothcats in the last few episodes of Rebels. Really well done, and not a throwaway episode among them.

Last Jedi potential spoilers:
Could those resistance groups in the outer rim that Leia et al are contacting at the end of Last Jedi be Kanan and/or Ezra? That would be pretty cool.
Between Yoda's statement that "there is another" in Ep V (one other), and Luke's parting shot to Bensolo that he will not be the last Jedi ('will not'-future, as opposed to 'is not'-present) seems to suggest that Kanan and Ezra's story lines will resolve within the Rebels timeline. Jarrus already was a Jedi BBY, and surely if they're still trolling the galaxy together Ezra will have completed his training by TLJ.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:35 pm

Also, TIL that BB-8 says "I have a bad feeling about this" during the opening battle, prompting Poe to respond with "Happy beeps here, buddy, come on." Should've been able to figure that out from context, but I didn't, and I feel lesser for it.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:35 pm

I still think about the Last Jedi a lot. This is a great thread on Luke

https://twitter.com/swankmotron/status/ ... 3384807424

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:43 pm

Finally saw it last night. There were some awesome moments for sure, but the "chase" story seemed weak, and took way too long. The problem was just too boring for such a crucial sequel, although it was nice seeing a dumb plan fail miserably, instead of everything working out through luck.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:03 pm

I still think about the Last Jedi a lot. This is a great thread on Luke

https://twitter.com/swankmotron/status/ ... 3384807424
Good read.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:33 pm

Seconded.... what I could read of it, anyway

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:50 pm

Thirded. Guy put more thought into those tweets than I’ve done for anything in my life.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:59 pm

The Last Jedi Isn’t for the Fans
It’s about fandom and how it leads even Star Wars characters astray.
It seems that the author is not really a fan of the movie, but I thought this essay was though-provoking.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:12 pm

Oh, he liked the movie allright. For some of the same reasons I do, it seems.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:14 pm

Oh, he liked the movie allright. For some of the same reasons I do, it seems.
Titty milk? (I didn't read the article)

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:15 pm

That was too silly even for me.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:17 pm

Might have been mentioned in here already, not sure, but if Rey wasn't there, do you think he's drinking straight from the nip?

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:48 pm

I would. For example, when I have the house to myself, you bet your ass I’m drinking straight from the OJ bottle.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:54 pm

Hes been there awhile, who knows what else he was doing with them

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:22 pm

Was that the famous 'blue milk'?