Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:12 pm

That's horse poop.

Bad decision making in the writing process can't be just ignored and written off as bigots being bigots.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:13 pm

I liked Solo, btw.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:31 am

To all the hates of The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, things could have been much MUCH worse:
The internet has been abuzz recently thanks to a few very intriguing quotes from George Lucas, addressing where the director would’ve taken the Star Wars saga if he had not sold Lucasfilm to Disney in 2012. But while on the surface Lucas’ ideas sound wild, in some ways they’re just a different spin on ideas we’re getting in the current movies.

The commentary comes from Insight Editions’ tie-in book for the AMC series James Cameron’s Story of Science Fiction—which has seen the director interview a multitude of scifi legends (including Lucas) about the evolution of the genre. Lucas’ remarks were brought to wider attention thanks to a tweet from illustrator Livio Ramondelli:

The image reads:

GL: [The next three Star Wars films] were going to get into a microbiotic world. But there’s this world of creatures that operate differently than we do. I call them the Whills. And the Whills are the ones who actually control the universe. They feed off the Force.

GL: If I’d held onto the company I could have done it, and then it would have been done. Of course, a lot of the fans would have hated it, just like they did Phantom Menace and everything, but at least the whole story from beginning to end would be told.
Another quote:
Back in the day, I used to say ultimately what this means is we were just cars, vehicles, for the Whills to travel around … We’re vessels for them. And the conduit is the midi-chlorians. The midi-chlorians are the ones that communicate with the Whills. The Whills, in a general sense, they are the force.
Three movies about microscopic organisms controlling the force! Give me Canto Bight on a continuous loop before watching that ****.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/george-lucas-id ... 1826798496

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:40 am

Where there's a Whill, there's a way.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:48 am

You have to be square with the fact that the original trilogy is one great popcorn movie followed by four hours of retconning itself. So to come out in 2018 and say the beings he initially intended to be the 'narrators' of the SW universe are really just microbiological taxi drivers is perfectly in keeping with his habits.

I'd pay actual money to see a Whills movie with Chirrut and Baze guardianing the sht out of them.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:53 am

I've seen and heard plenty of people saying they wish Lucas made the sequel trilogy and I'm just baffled by that. Why are people forgetting about how **** shitty the prequels are? Do you think he suddenly became a competent filmmaker again? Lucas has directed exactly one good Star Wars film.

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:13 pm

He could do Whills films... since they have nothing to do with the SW universe as we know it. Go do it George, since the people are just taxi's and basically meaningless to your bigger picket, just change their names and do what you gotta do.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:51 pm

TIL (well, technically YIL but I forgot to post about it until today) that apparently Dryden Voss has a Sith holocron in his chambers.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:54 pm

George Lucas did in fact rape my childhood, as the song says.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:59 pm

Also, actually TIL, one of the Corellian hounds was played by a real dog that plays the role of something called a 'direwolf' on GOT.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:50 am

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:58 am

All dogs are good dogs, and if anyone challenges that assertion I will gladly stab them in the face with a serving spoon until their opinion improves.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:05 am

I had a dog growing up that was a real piece of sht. He would get stuff out of the garbage and guard it for hours on a chair and would bite you if you went near it. All dogs are not good dogs.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:17 am

All dogs are good dogs, and if anyone challenges that assertion I will gladly stab them in the face with a serving spoon until their opinion improves.
Example of a good dog: https://twitter.com/HaroldRKuntz3/statu ... 8444959744

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:25 am

I had a dog growing up that was a real piece of sht. He would get stuff out of the garbage and guard it for hours on a chair and would bite you if you went near it. All dogs are not good dogs.
Seems like all you had to do was secure the garbage like a good dog owner.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:41 am

Seems like all you had to do was secure the garbage like a good dog owner.
Cool so then he'd grab a piece of clothing in a hamper, or literally anything else and guard it.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:33 am

Finally saw it, enjoyed it mightily.

Han shot first. Maul is awesome.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:52 am

Fox accepts Disney's $71 billion bid.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... to-comcast

Does this mean we can finally get a blu-ray release of the theatrical editions!?

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:07 am

Source of the post Does this mean we can finally get a blu-ray release of the theatrical editions!?
and a good X men movie?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:09 am

The rights to Eps V and VI would have reverted to Lucasfilm in a couple years, regardless. Ep IV would have been owned by Fox in perpetuity, but there had always been a gentleman's agreement that they would not dick around with the movie, and respect Lucas' artistic vision. To which I say, "**** that noise," fix the glitch and make the movies right again by undoing all the asshattery of the 90s.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:12 am

Yes, please.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:58 am

The rights to Eps V and VI would have reverted to Lucasfilm in a couple years, regardless. Ep IV would have been owned by Fox in perpetuity, but there had always been a gentleman's agreement that they would not dick around with the movie, and respect Lucas' artistic vision. To which I say, "**** that noise," fix the glitch and make the movies right again by undoing all the asshattery of the 90s.
If the "artistic vision" results in the cinematic equivalent of smearing dogshit on Van Gogh's "Starry Night" well then it should be disrespected.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:15 pm

They also told Lucas that they would use his treatment for the sequel trilogy and that went out the window almost immediately. There's money in the theatrical versions being available on home video, and Disney loves money. They don't have to go back and say the special editions are no longer canon. Keep those as the definitive canon editions. I couldn't care less. Just give me the ability to watch the movies that I loved.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:26 pm

I would have love the seen their reaction to reading his treatments for a trilogy of movies about microscopic force controlling organisms for the first time. Probably saw the bottom of waste bin in record time.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:28 pm

Yeah the microscopic organisms bit might have made me turn in my fan card.