Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:48 am

The throne room fight is fun to watch from a stunt choreography perspective. It works as a whole piece, but if you watch the stunties in the background, they just........ they don't really do anything. There's also a guy who magically loses one of his weapons mid-fight.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:23 pm

The throne room fight is fun to watch from a stunt choreography perspective. It works as a whole piece, but if you watch the stunties in the background, they just........ they don't really do anything. There's also a guy who magically loses one of his weapons mid-fight.
Yeah anytime you have a big fight sequence like that and focus on one background stunt performer you’ll have that. That whole sequence is great though including the force tug of war over Vader’s saber.

Jim

Postby Jim » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:04 pm

There is a lot of the stuntmen spinning their weapons and stepping back and forth waiting for their queue. The fight looks nice to the the set, but it is not well choreographed.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:34 am

Interesting look at the path forward for Star Wars, at least for publishing:

Claudia Gray is a good writer - I've read a few of her SW novels. I hope Wendig and Zahn were in that room as well.

I can't tell if the films are going back to this era, but it makes sense if they did.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:41 am

That's pretty cool. I don't know much about Star Wars outside of the films, what time period if KOTOR? Is it now called the High Republic or is this a totally new unexplored era?'

One thing I hope they keep in mind going forward is that the Jedi are on one level while Anakin and the rest of the Skywalkers should be on another level entirely as far as raw skill goes. They need to find a way to show the Jedi as competent and talented (unlike the prequels) while still maintaining Anakin as the chosen one.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:06 am

KOTOR is about 4000 years before the Galactic Republic, High Republic is a couple hundred years before the Skywalker Saga takes place.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:20 am

KOTOR is about 4000 years before the Galactic Republic, High Republic is a couple hundred years before the Skywalker Saga takes place.
Got it. I see it's 200 years before TPM. The only reason I can see to set it so close to the Skywalker Saga is so Yoda can be involved.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:55 pm

Today we drive to Anaheim for The Struts at House of Blues. Tomorrow, Disneyland/Galaxy's Edge.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:21 pm

A good 24 hours for the Tifosis.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:21 pm

Surprise bonus! Ballast Point has a taproom at Downtown Disney. Happy times.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:20 pm

Best of luck with the boarding pass process

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:29 pm

It is impossible to oversell how awesome Black Spire Outpost is. The attention to detail in the world building is off the charts, even for Disney.

I mean, this is a Diet Coke, and Coke allowed Disney to put the logo in Aurebesh. Oh, and Mrs Tif didn't quite catch that it was just a screwcap, and the attendant was like, "They're pressurized to resist the vacuum of space if the cargo is dropped."

The signage is not all in Aurebesh, but they use a font/typeset that looks very much like Aurebesh. The only other part of the park you can see from anywhere in BSO is the main spire of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad on one part of the Queue for Smuggler's Run, and it just looks like all the scenery from BSO anyway. (In fact, when you enter BSO from BTMR, you walk through a tunnel and there is literally a moment where it's like they turn off the Disney stuff and you realize you are in a goddamn Star War.

By the time we got to the park, they had already filled up on their daily capacity for Rise Of The Resistance, so we didn't get to do that. Nor did we do the lightsaber shop (I think you have to commit to buying one ahead of time to get in). But we did go through the droid shop, and saw Chewie and Rey walking around. Didn't see any First Order scum.
But the vehicles..... oh, the vehicles.........!

And then............
Image]

I took a few pics inside the cockpit (I was right gunner), but there's nothing interesting outside the canopy so it's just a dark image. But goddamn did my heart jump into gear as you step through the cockpit doors and see that view..... and the hyperspace jumps, my god. I squealed.

And it ended, honestly, almost exactly as it began. 42 years ago.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:35 pm

Also, they have coopted the audio synch system used in the nighttime live shows/fireworks. So every ten or fifteen minutes, a frickin' TIE Fighter will - loudly - buzz the Outpost and the sound will track across all 14 acres. But the track doesn't conflict with the two ingress/egress points, so there's no sound bleed out into the rest of the park.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:40 pm

Really cool. I think we are going to DW's version in 2021.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:53 pm

I have plans right now to go to WDW for the end of April since I have a work conference in Orlando. Really hoping coronavirus doesn't interefere.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:10 am

Emperor Palpatine was a clone in The Rise of Skywalker?

https://winteriscoming.net/2020/03/02/w ... skywalker/

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:29 am

Emperor Palpatine was a clone in The Rise of Skywalker?

https://winteriscoming.net/2020/03/02/w ... skywalker/
Hmm. That’s weird. I don’t hate it and the movie could have benefited from that revelation instead of leaving it completely vague.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:57 am

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:00 am

Also, they have coopted the audio synch system used in the nighttime live shows/fireworks. So every ten or fifteen minutes, a frickin' TIE Fighter will - loudly - buzz the Outpost and the sound will track across all 14 acres. But the track doesn't conflict with the two ingress/egress points, so there's no sound bleed out into the rest of the park.
:thumb: :thumb: Glad you had a good time. What job did you have in the Falcon? We'll be there in early July. Any tips/tricks?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:13 pm

:thumb: :thumb: Glad you had a good time. What job did you have in the Falcon? We'll be there in early July. Any tips/tricks?
I was the Right Gunner, and Mrs Tif was the Right Engineer. So we were in positions 2 and 3 on the right side of the cockpit. There is apparently some sort of 'Konami Code' situation that the two pilots can enter prior to the Cast Member 'pre-flight safety briefing' that changes the experience somehow; they have to hit switches and move controls in a certain combo and it activates something called "Chewie Mode". I have no idea what that means, and internetting it proved fairly confusing. Don't know if it's at both locations or just Anaheim (it would be weird if it was just CA, but who knows). And I guess you're supposed to be able to hang out in the cabin area a bit longer than we did, go to the Han and Leia kiss area for a selfie or sit at the Dejarik table, but we were sort of ushered through that bit pretty quick.

Best tip I can give: Just enjoy it. There are parts of the ride where you have to activate certain switches at certain times, and it's super immersive... but the whole thing is set up as what we call in the video game industry a 'fail state', which means that even if you don't do what you're supposed to do, the ride still goes on. So really, just soak it all in. You're in the motherf**king Millennium Falcon. When the cockpit door slid open and I had my first view out of that B-29 canopy*......... honestly, it just took my breath away. The first lightspeed jump made me raise my hands up and chirp out loud. Take in the world building and attention to detail on display in the queue. Take many selfies outside the ship. There's not one single thing about it that is less than amazing. (Except some of the food options, as I've read.) Seriously, it was the most entertaining 45 minutes of my life, and only around 5 of it was spent actually in the attraction.

* It seems the video display is based on the Stagecraft/Unreal Engine tech used in making Solo and The Mandalorian. Which as a how-was-the-sausage-made nerd was really cool.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:28 pm

The Kylo Rey kiss did not feel romantic to me, and I mean that by design. I don't think it was a "hey, you're hot; I'm hot; let's kiss!" kind of thing. It felt more like a moment of giving in to exuberance.
8-)

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:45 pm

It was VJ Day

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:34 am

Jesus. This movie man.
If you left Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker wondering who in the wide world of sports would have had sex with Palpatine, we now have your answer: nobody! Indeed, the latest in a string of reveals from the novelization of the third and final film in this new Star Wars trilogy sheds additional light on Rey’s (Daisy Ridley) parentage, specifically how her father is related to Palpatine.

The novelization by author Rae Carlson confirms that the Palpatine that appears in Rise of Skywalker is indeed a clone of the real Palpatine, who did in fact die at the end of Return of the Jedi. Through Dark Side magic or something or other, he was brought back by his loyal followers—but not without some trial and error.

Indeed, elsewhere in the novelization (via SR), it describes one attempt to clone Palpatine as “a useless, powerless failure” who was a “not-quite-identical clone.” That clone still lived, however, and eventually became… Rey’s father.

Yep! So it’s more accurate to say that Palpatine is Rey’s half-dad rather than her grandpa. How all of this works, exactly, is unclear, as is whether it was intended to be a part of the film version of Rise of Skywalker. We know that J.J. Abrams worked pretty extensively on the edit, removing portions of Palpatine’s backstory, so it’s possible this reveal was intended to occur within the context of the movie and then was removed for creative reasons. In which case, we can’t really say that this is actually true canon for the movie—yes it’s in the novelization, but Abrams removed it from the film for a reason. But this is a peek inside the creative process of coming up with that reveal in the first place, and a potential path from which Abrams backed away.
https://collider.com/rise-of-skywalker- ... explained/

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:39 am

For ****'s sake. Everything could have been so much better if they just had Snoke be some dark sider from the unknown regions that took control of the 1st. Could even have left it open as to what else could be out there.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:33 am

Or introduce Thrawn as the leader.