Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:35 pm

The Late Show had a funny take on the Kelly Marie Tran nonsense. They cut together a trailer in which Rose is now the protagonist in SW, and the new movie is subtitled "Shut The Hell Up You Broken Hateful Dweebs".

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:59 pm

The Late Show had a funny take on the Kelly Marie Tran nonsense. They cut together a trailer in which Rose is now the protagonist in SW, and the new movie is subtitled "Shut The Hell Up You Broken Hateful Dweebs".
I had been avoiding all Star Wars news while I was waiting to see Solo so I didn't learn about this until this weekend. The **** is wrong with people?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:02 pm

Rose is the worst character in all of Star Wars.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:05 pm

No she isn't, she's not even in the top (bottom?) 100. Stop saying that. You're wrong, and you should go stand in the corner and wait for Elly Kedward to instruct you further on your wrongness.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:07 pm

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:08 pm

No she isn't, she's not even in the top (bottom?) 100. Stop saying that. You're wrong, and you should go stand in the corner and wait for Elly Kedward to instruct you further on your wrongness.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:10 pm

So because some believe she's the "worst character," they feel that gives them the right to attack the actor and throw racial and sexist slurs at her?

Again I ask: the **** is wrong with people?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:22 pm

No one should attack her for it, that is insane.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:25 pm

I'd **** her. But that's different I guess.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:57 pm

Yeah so the issue with the most extreme reactions doesn't seem to have anything to do with her character's worth. Instead it seems to have everything to do with the fact that she isn't a white male.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:57 pm

I didn't even know this was a thing.

obhave

Postby obhave » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:06 pm

Yeah so the issue with the most extreme reactions doesn't seem to have anything to do with her character's worth. Instead it seems to have everything to do with the fact that she isn't a white male.
^ correct. The leaders of the attack have gone after other female leads in the recent star war movies (such as Rey) because they don't want "political correct" or feminists people taking over the starwars franchise. Because a world filled with many different races and species should obviously only be populated with white males in lead roles or women in bikinis.

^I have not verified if the above post is real, I don't have the energy haha

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:15 pm

I'm more shocked that LBL and FR are basically confirming they have posters of these 2 on their wall at home due to how much they love them

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Yeah what a ridiculous claim.

And that's just from one movie.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:45 pm

I'm more shocked that LBL and FR are basically confirming they have posters of these 2 on their wall at home due to how much they love them

I have the theatrical versions so I don't see these two.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:53 pm

Yeah what a ridiculous claim.

And that's just from one movie.
Dexter Jettster

But Rose is bad because she like horse-dogs.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:08 pm

There's a difference between disliking the character as the examples above show and disliking the particular role a character plays within a particular movie.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:48 pm

There's a difference between disliking the character as the examples above show and disliking the particular role a character plays within a particular movie.
So you’re saying you like the role Jar Jar Binks plays. Sounds good :fist:

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:19 pm

I love Jar Jar Binks. Underrated character.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:06 am

Motion to suspend LBL from this thread for an indefinite period of time.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:10 am

I officially distance myself from such talk.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:31 am

Since seeing Solo, I've read a few reviews and listened to a few podcasts that discuss the movie and there's one common thread throughout that's extremely frustrating to me. Every reviewer says that the worst parts of the movie are the fan service or "member berry" parts.
The origin of his surname, how he got his blaster, the dice, the callback dialogue, etc
and I agree with a lot of that. But then, the same reviews look at some of the more original ideas from Solo
seeing a war that actually feels like a war, high contrast cinematography, Lady Proxima's character design, the train heist, etc.
and complain that they don't feel "Star Wars-y." You can't dodint that Disney/Lucasfilm isn't giving you anything new and then dodint about new ideas or visions that don't feel like Star Wars to you. Not only is that a highly subjective criticism, it's also clearly hypocritical.

I have no idea how a large section of the fan base still holds the Star Wars franchise as this precious magical thing from their youth. The preciousness died in 1999. The prequels effectively killed the franchise. Disney has done a great job bringing it back to a certain level of quality but as long as these fanboys hold on to their idea of what is and isn't "Star Wars-y" we're never going to get anything new.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:50 am

Since seeing Solo, I've read a few reviews and listened to a few podcasts that discuss the movie and there's one common thread throughout that's extremely frustrating to me. Every reviewer says that the worst parts of the movie are the fan service or "member berry" parts.
The origin of his surname, how he got his blaster, the dice, the callback dialogue, etc
and I agree with a lot of that. But then, the same reviews look at some of the more original ideas from Solo
seeing a war that actually feels like a war, high contrast cinematography, Lady Proxima's character design, the train heist, etc.
and complain that they don't feel "Star Wars-y." You can't dodint that Disney/Lucasfilm isn't giving you anything new and then dodint about new ideas or visions that don't feel like Star Wars to you. Not only is that a highly subjective criticism, it's also clearly hypocritical.

I have no idea how a large section of the fan base still holds the Star Wars franchise as this precious magical thing from their youth. The preciousness died in 1999. The prequels effectively killed the franchise. Disney has done a great job bringing it back to a certain level of quality but as long as these fanboys hold on to their idea of what is and isn't "Star Wars-y" we're never going to get anything new.
I remember the RLM review for Rogue One dodinting about the "fan service" shot of the blue milk sitting on the breakfast table in the opening scene. It was established 40 years ago that in this **** universe people drink some kind of blue milk. How is including that "fan service"? If they instead put a pitcher of water or a container of **** Nesquik on the table I'm sure they would have ***** about "WHERE'S THE BLUE MILK!?!?! DISNEY IS RUINING STAR WARS!"

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:43 am

You can't dodint that Disney/Lucasfilm isn't giving you anything new and then dodint about new ideas or visions that don't feel like Star Wars to you. Not only is that a highly subjective criticism, it's also clearly hypocritical.

I feel like this quoted bit sort of sums up all of Freddy's posts re TLJ and Solo, and nearly everyone's responses to them, in a nutshell.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:14 am

Some fans have built up their image of a perfect Star Wars universe over the past 40 years (and more so the last few years) and anything that goes against it, is terrible/awful/social justice/Disney is awful, Star Wars is ruined, etc.