Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:56 am

About episode length, my 13 year old reminded me that Rebels and Clone Wars episodes were only about 22 minutes or so. He’s not wrong. :lol:

Yeah, episode 2 was great.
Always good to see our little scavenger friends again. I do wonder if Minionese was copied from Jawas.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:12 pm

Yeah that was a great episode and I have absolutely no idea where this story is heading. Also how amazing is it that we’re getting brand new live action Star Wars content every week?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:16 pm

Mandalorian was so amazing.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:19 pm

Source of the post fairly epic takedown of butthurt SW fanbois by Freddie Prinze Jr
What's this now?
Lots of exuberant cursing here, so very NSFW if you are minus headphones/earbuds.

Source of the post though the music came dangerously close to being too much.
Disagree. The music was one of the best parts and perfectly fit the tone. It wouldn't have been as good if it were the typical orchestral Star Wars music.

I actually agree with both of you here. The music was an absolute highlight; it sounded like what Ennio Morricone would've written for The Good, The Bad & The Ugly if he had a Roland Jupiter available to him instead of an ocarina to make the coyote hoot noise. But it was very much skirting the line of being too on the nose.
The music is fantastic. The Mandalorian is very much man with no name.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:43 pm

Mandalorian was so amazing.
We are Star Wars bros again!!! :fist:

*hug*

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:50 pm

I rewatched both episodes tonight and they were even better the second time.
The Jawa stuff was the best. And when Yoda Junior tried to force heal the Mandalorian it got dusty in my house.

Also. Love the fact neither he nor Nick Nolte know about the force.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:10 am

I rewatched both episodes tonight and they were even better the second time.
The Jawa stuff was the best. And when Yoda Junior tried to force heal the Mandalorian it got dusty in my house.

Also. Love the fact neither he nor Nick Nolte know about the force.
Yep, on everything you said. Also enjoying how Mando isn't just an unstoppable force.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:02 am

watched ep 3 and the prequels are out of the way. Revenge of the Sith was the easiest to watch compared to the first 2, but I'm not sure I did the right thing revisiting all 3. GL really did a number on the myth of Vader with these backstories. 4K HDR through D+ was pretty damn impressive.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:56 am

watched ep 3 and the prequels are out of the way. Revenge of the Sith was the easiest to watch compared to the first 2, but I'm not sure I did the right thing revisiting all 3. GL really did a number on the myth of Vader with these backstories. 4K HDR through D+ was pretty damn impressive.
I had the Original Trilogy on over the weekend as a distraction/background noise while we worked on some home projects and it's stunning just how terrible the overall narrative is if you watch in chronological order from TPM to ROTJ. All mystery of Vader is destroyed, the reveal to Luke in ESB remains meaningful to the character but is nothing to the viewer, etc. Lucas then went and doubled down on his stupidity by changing the Emperor's dialogue in ESB to directly reference Luke as the son of Anakin Skywalker.

Even with disasters that arethe prequel trilogy, Lucas could have maintained some of the Vader mystic by not having Anakin dubbed Darth Vader by Sidious in ROTS and ending Anakin's story with him wounded, dying, and abandoned on Mustafar. I honestly don't think he ever stepped back and considered the story over it's six movie arc.

Other random musings:
- I really don't get the apparent hate that Lucas has for A New Hope. It is just sooooooo **** good and far and away the best movie he's ever directed.
- It drives me insane that with all the changes Lucas made over the years, continually tweaking and changing ****, that he never added the word "Sith" into any of the OT. The PT never shuts up about Siths and then we never hear the word again.
- I still love ROTJ. Fight me.
- The picture quality on Disney+ is the best it's ever been. No more pink light sabers or any of the other stuff Lucas previously screwed up.

Also, episode 2 of The Mandalorian was great. Big fan of Nick Nolte's creature.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:21 am

I haven't watched the Special Editions ever since I bought the Limited Edition DVDs back in 2006. While I'm looking forward to the convenience of watching via D+, I'm also not looking forward to the changes at all. I have a feeling I'll still pop the DVD in instead.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:58 am

I honestly don't think he ever stepped back and considered the story over it's six movie arc.
That is nakedly evident. Aside from the obvious tinkering, there are so many things he has inadvertently retconned through the years, particularly as regards Obi-wan's story, just out of sheer laziness and lack of attention to detail.

- The history of the Old Republic went from "1,000 generations" in Ep IV to "a thousand years" in Ep II;
- "That boy was our last hope"...."No, there is another" implies Obi-wan had no idea about Leia;
- Leia has a memory of her mother, who died in childbirth (unless this is a Force vision, which I seriously doubt GL considered in 1982);
- "Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough. He told me so as he was burning to near death in a sea of lava after I traumatically amputated all of his limbs."
- "I do not recognize either of these droids, despite the audience now knowing that Anakin built the tall one and we shared many adventures 20 years ago."
- Anakin Skywalker is the galactic Big Bad, so let's take one of his offspring and.......... hide him on his own home planet, pretty near to where he grew up, and not change this kid's surname or anything? Really? No one's going to think to look there, or put 2 and 2 together?;
- "Hi there! I am New Force Ghost Anakin! But you would have no way of knowing that unless I told you, because I am appearing as my youthful self, who you had never met and would not otherwise recognize."
- "My name is Chewbacca. I fought in the Clone Wars under the command of Jedi generals. But my buddy here is a space pirate who is a Force atheist, so I will laugh when he makes fun of this senior Jedi charter guy here."

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:45 pm

haha. so bad. do you think they will remake the prequels before the original trilogy? If we can't erase them from history, I'd actually like a redo on them.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:37 pm

Damn it.
Last edited by Dickie Dunn on Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:41 pm

Ummm.......

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:13 pm

haha. so bad. do you think they will remake the prequels before the original trilogy? If we can't erase them from history, I'd actually like a redo on them.
I would like a redo on them as well, but I don't think it ever happens. If you ever make the mistake of venturing over to r/StarWars you'll find a large contingent of clowns who love the prequels and consider them to be significantly better than the Disney movies.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:15 pm

I would like a redo on them as well, but I don't think it ever happens. If you ever make the mistake of venturing over to r/StarWars you'll find a large contingent of clowns who love the prequels and consider them to be significantly better than the Disney movies.
It's already been hard enough week with my 8 year old trolling the rest of the family pretending how much he loves jar jar and anakin, but thanks!

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:17 pm

It's already been hard enough week with my 8 year old trolling the rest of the family pretending how much he loves jar jar and anakin, but thanks!
And you've let him continue to live?

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:20 pm

And you've let him continue to live?
to be honest, I was incredibly impressed with this decision to get under his brother, sister and mothers skin

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:20 pm

It depends on your age. If you grew up with the OT, you're not going to like the prequels. There is an entire generation of Star Wars fans who grew up with the prequels and watching the series in chronological order.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:21 pm

Yes, and they're bad people.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:22 pm

I honestly don't think he ever stepped back and considered the story over it's six movie arc.
That is nakedly evident. Aside from the obvious tinkering, there are so many things he has inadvertently retconned through the years, particularly as regards Obi-wan's story, just out of sheer laziness and lack of attention to detail.

- The history of the Old Republic went from "1,000 generations" in Ep IV to "a thousand years" in Ep II;
- "That boy was our last hope"...."No, there is another" implies Obi-wan had no idea about Leia;
- Leia has a memory of her mother, who died in childbirth (unless this is a Force vision, which I seriously doubt GL considered in 1982);
- "Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough. He told me so as he was burning to near death in a sea of lava after I traumatically amputated all of his limbs."
- "I do not recognize either of these droids, despite the audience now knowing that Anakin built the tall one and we shared many adventures 20 years ago."
- Anakin Skywalker is the galactic Big Bad, so let's take one of his offspring and.......... hide him on his own home planet, pretty near to where he grew up, and not change this kid's surname or anything? Really? No one's going to think to look there, or put 2 and 2 together?;
- "Hi there! I am New Force Ghost Anakin! But you would have no way of knowing that unless I told you, because I am appearing as my youthful self, who you had never met and would not otherwise recognize."
- "My name is Chewbacca. I fought in the Clone Wars under the command of Jedi generals. But my buddy here is a space pirate who is a Force atheist, so I will laugh when he makes fun of this senior Jedi charter guy here."
This is why I bust a gut laughing when people talk about what's canon. There are so many logical fallacies in the just the first 6 movies that make it obvious "canon" was never a focal point. From there you add in cartoon series and such and its no use trying to adhere to some strict interpretation of the universe.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:45 pm

Kane

Postby Kane » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:48 pm

**** that thing is cute.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:08 pm

I just wanna know the name of the species...

Jim

Postby Jim » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:40 pm

This is why I bust a gut laughing when people talk about what's canon. There are so many logical fallacies in the just the first 6 movies that make it obvious "canon" was never a focal point. From there you add in cartoon series and such and its no use trying to adhere to some strict interpretation of the universe.

Star Wars fans have NOTHING on Trek fans when it comes to fanboy wig outs about canon.