Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:35 am

Enjoyed the new episode. Vader was pretty cool. Show isn't great or good, but it's also not doing any damage to the canon. Last night definitely felt like a Vader appearance from one of the cartoons

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:43 am

Similar to the last time out, while I quite liked Ch 5 story-wise it still managed to have a few beats of comedy bad action.

I am interested to see what Reva finding the holopuck leads to.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:58 pm

I'm a broken record in this thread so I'll save you the in depth critique of part 5. Every negative I've already called out is applicable here as well. The show is simply bad.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:34 pm

There's barely one story to tell. And if season 2 moves forward, it needs to be without Deborah Chow.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:53 pm

We can take him down together. Here's the plan:
I escape and then you take him on one-on-one when he's not even distracted by my escape anymore.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:18 pm

I am high and decided to rewatch Attack if the Clones for the first time in probably a decade for a good laugh. Man what a wonderful train wreck that movie is

Really the only positives are Natalie Portman’s cuteness and John Williams’ score

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:27 pm

They didn't have any TIE Fighters on that Star Destroyer? C'mom man.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:24 pm

S2 better be a buddy comedy with qui gon in that cave

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:15 am

Obi finale was terrific, I'll watch that last episode when going through rewatches of the movies. I think this series would have been killer as a movie. Probably would have cleaned up at box office too.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:42 am

Just started Obi Wan. Got through the first 2 episodes. It's ok so far. Just funny how a 10 year old that runs slower than me gets away from everyone, and the 3rd sister lady doesn't seem to be the best of actors, but it's been decent.

I was thinking, for 20 years, is this the first time the clone troopers were actual people in any star wars show?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:02 pm

Obi finale was terrific, I'll watch that last episode when going through rewatches of the movies. I think this series would have been killer as a movie. Probably would have cleaned up at box office too.
So funny, I had this same thought as the credits rolled. Would've been much better served with this exact story tightened up to no more than 2.5 hours.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:03 pm

...is this the first time the clone troopers were actual people in any star wars show?
I believe so, yes.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:57 pm

The finale is better than the preceding episodes, sure, but the series as a whole still detracts from ANH rather than enhancing it like Rogue One. It also suffers from the same baffling character/story choices as the other chapters.
Obi Wan had a chance to kill Vader and strike a major blow to the Empire and instead he's just like, "welp, see ya later!"
Did it also seem incredibly dark to anyone else? Visually dark, not tonally dark. Like I legit had trouble seeing some of the action. What was the point of this series? It didn't add anything that we didn't already know from the existing films.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:58 pm

This series has been epic......ally frustrating. More or less very meh with a couple lol howler moments, and then there have been a small handful of moments that where amazing.
The second saber battle w Vader..........omfg, that hit hard, so much more powerful than Mustafar imo. Lucas' hallmark as a director is 'at least 25% too much', and Chow rightly dialed the encounter back to bare bones so the spectacle didn't overwhelm the moment. Every fight scene, be it fists or weapons, has its own story to tell. Lucas went with "LOOK AT HOW AMAZING VFX HAVE GOTTEN" as his guiding light. But the reason we care about these characters is because of the 1:1 relationship of these brothers in arms and spirit, and everyone involved here nailed it. To me it was sort of the only real moment in the series that overcame the fact that the audience knows more than the characters.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:09 pm

Agree with tif here. This series reminded me a lot of the animated shows right down to the action. All in all, it took until the last episode to actually feel big and I think that's on the cinematography. That last saber battle was incredible. I got choked up a couple times during the finale as well. Could be wrong here, but during the Luke scenes in the finale, I kept thinking that Luke said something along the lines in ep4 about nothing exciting happens here and then last night.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:58 am

Yeah, involving Luke at all was dumb (I mean, Leia for that matter too).

Also I'm sure this was already brought up, but in Ep 5, when Obi says Luke is their only hope, and then Yoda says no there is another, and it cuts right to Leia, the implication isn't that Obi knew about her but she wasn't force sensitive, it's that he didn't know about her at all. At least, that's the way it's shot.

Granted, the end of ep 3 would kind of ruin that anyway.

And I always interpreted the message at the beginning of Ep 4 was that Leia had heard of Obi through rebel legends, but never actually met him.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:07 pm

Flea was like the third best actor in this series

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:45 am

Just got done watching and I enjoyed it.

@nocera it sounds like you have never seen Rebels. I highly recommend. First season is tough to get through but it pays off. And you meet the second biggest bad guy in all of Star Wars when done.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:06 am

@nocera it sounds like you have never seen Rebels. I highly recommend. First season is tough to get through but it pays off. And you meet the second biggest bad guy in all of Star Wars when done.
Jar Jar?

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:11 am

I can't do the cartoons. I've tried and failed many times. They're just not for me.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:49 pm

That's a shame dude. I get it - different strokes n'at - but the best of the animated shows is as good as anything in the whole of Star Wars imo. Sadly, there are also hyperspace whales.

Honestly......... as I think about it, my top most favoritest characters pretty much all come from the animated stuff. Ahsoka Tano, Sabine Wren, Bo-Katan Kryze, Kanan Jarrus, Dume, Bendu, Thrawn (this is a cheat, he was created in the Timothy Zahn books in the 90s but has so far only appeared in multimedia in Rebels).

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:58 pm

Someone could make an argument that Thrawn (as depicted in Rebels) is a better villain than Vadar and I'd listen.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:12 pm

That's a tall order there, Bev. I think Thrawn is pretty fantastic, but Vader is like a god-tier villain.

In other news.........

Gremlins Creator Is Feuding With Star Wars Over 'Shamelessly Copied' Grogu

As a reminder: The Empire Strikes Back predates Gremlins by like 4 years.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:17 pm

Yeah I get it. Like I said, I've tried. I just can't get past the overly childish feeling of most of the episodes. I even tried the lists that breakdown just the necessary episodes and I couldn't get into that either. If I was a kid, I would've loved these shows the same way I loved Real Ghostbusters. Hell, even though I really enjoyed Mandalorian, I prefer Star Wars to stick to feature films. The other stuff, including series (animated & live action), comics, books, video games, etc., they all feel a bit superfluous.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:06 pm

Saw Boba Fett and Fennic Shand at Galaxy's Edge over the weekend. BF attracted quite the following of kids (and adults), but my one friend and I were the only ones who recognized (or maybe the only ones who cared) about FS. They use Temura Morrison's voice for BF in the same way that it's Adam Driver for Kylo Ren, but the Cast Member who was playing FS was doing a tremendous Ming-Na Wen impression.

#yinzer