Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:01 pm

I was surprised by some questionable, even poor, effects when the stormtroopers attacked. Even to the end where the last trooper "jumps" onto the transport, and the 2D look of the transports going up.

14th episode. I'd say one of the bottom 3, if not possibly #14.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:24 pm

yup

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:13 pm

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:33 pm

By the way have we ever figured out what was going to happen with the eggs that are still in his belly

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:44 pm

By the way have we ever figured out what was going to happen with the eggs that are still in his belly

Maybe he is still protecting them from lightspeed...

:slug:

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:57 pm

I’m going to win that bet.

Re: this week’s episode.
I found that entirely underwhelming and I wish Boba Fett stayed dead. And I won’t stand for people pretending like Attack of the Clones is a decent movie and deserving of any sort of reference.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:53 am

yup

eddy

Postby eddy » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:27 am

Bunch of downers in here, but of course I thought it was awesome. I basically felt like Newman opening the shaving cream container in jurassic park the whole time. Definitely some wonky effects, but that doesn't bother me at all. They certainly aren't wasting any time and it's been terrific fun.

eddy

Postby eddy » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:37 am

Grogu
did anyone seem to notice it looked like he aged, almost looking like yoda when he was meditating?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:41 am

Grogu
did anyone seem to notice it looked like he aged, almost looking like yoda when he was meditating?
Yeah, whenever we see hardcore force usage out of people there is always a physical toil, see Luke in TLJ, Yoda in ESB, even Vader and Palpatine.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:42 am

Bunch of downers in here, but of course I thought it was awesome. I basically felt like Newman opening the shaving cream container in jurassic park the whole time. Definitely some wonky effects, but that doesn't bother me at all. They certainly aren't wasting any time and it's been terrific fun.
Yeah, I being a debbie downer is usually my role, but I enjoyed the episode all things considered and was glad they didn't have a side quest episode while we waited to go to the Jedi Wifi temple the last chapter.

eddy

Postby eddy » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:05 am

Yeah, I being a debbie downer is usually my role, but I enjoyed the episode all things considered and was glad they didn't have a side quest episode while we waited to go to the Jedi Wifi temple the last chapter.
The only thing I questioned to myself was why does Mando need bill burr to find Gideon? That seems weird, but I guess we'll see. I would also like to see a list of who all was on the screen as they were flipping through all the criminals.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:31 am

Bill Burr's character was fomally with the Empire I believe. Maybe he has some secret intel?

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:52 am

I didn’t not enjoy it. A bad Mando episode is still better than most current TV shows.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:58 am

yup

eddy

Postby eddy » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:07 am

:D

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:46 am

I’m going to win that bet.
You mean like how they continually double down on Grogu's fascination with the egg-like orb from the Crest? And how it's the only bit of the ship that survived, preserving it as a story MacGuffin? :wink:

RIP Razor Crest. Did NOT see that coming, btw.

It 100% felt like a Robert Rodriguez episode, and I mean that in a bad way. I really enjoy his movies, but he's not a good fit for SW storytelling imo, and it showed; I get that all of the little extra weapons Boba employed are part of his armor and have been for decades, but I honestly was sort of surprised we didn't see a moment where Boba used a suitcase or weapon case or something as a gun Mariachi-style. The shot of Fennec Shand jumping off the rock, legs folded, shooting at troopers, was just...... dumb. The editing during the fight scenes with frames quite obviously removed to make Boba look faster were super jank. In fact, most of the visuals in this Chapter was super jank, generally; I'm glad this was a short Chapter.

That said, the opening scene where Djarin was just playing with Grogu - saying his name, laughing when he responds - was really moving.

I'm happy with how they're presenting Boba Fett as a redemption story (I think I mentioned that earlier itt that it would be the only interesting way to bring him into this world). But having Jango be a Mando is a bit odd. Not only does it contradict Lucas' intentions re the characters, it contradicts Filoni himself. In an early episode of Clone Wars Jango is referred to by the Prime Minister of Mandalore as nothing more than a common bounty hunter, and he had no idea how he acquired Beskar armor. So he's retconning himself now. There may be something more going on that will be revealed later, but I find the way it was presented in the show to be vague and unconvincing.

The Tragedy imo will prove to be Grogu learning of Order 66 and/or that there are no Jedi left to answer his call, or something of that nature imo. He's roughly the same age as Anakin/Vader, so he was about half the age he is now when Order 66 was executed; given the species' prolonged development, it's possible it wasn't explained to him what was happening and why he was being taken away from the Temple.

Ahsoka referenced that Grogu's memory became 'dark' and that she senses 'fear' in him..... now we see him exhibiting 'anger' and Force choking Stormtroopers for sport. These are all Dark Side traits; Grogu is in a bad way.

Also, f**k Gideon in the butt with a Darksaber.
Last edited by tifosi77 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:50 am

I'm 100% on the train that we will see a major darkside character from the sequels before the season is over.

Odds on favorite is of course Snoke, but maybe Exegol makes an appearance.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:56 am

I would also like to see a list of who all was on the screen as they were flipping through all the criminals.

eddy

Postby eddy » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:57 pm

I'm 100% on the train that we will see a major darkside character from the sequels before the season is over.

Grogu is going to be used to create snoke and bring back the emperor and people won't be happy

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:04 pm

They don't really go into it in the material I'm familiar with, but how are strandcasts....... born? Hatched? Whatever. Are they full-grown, like Saruman's Uruk-hai? Not contradicting you, but I ask that because Snoke was created after Palpatine's demise at the Battle of Endor. So at most he's only like 3-4 years old during this timeline.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:06 pm

Also,
the blue butterfly will prove significant.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:13 pm

Did he eat it?

eddy

Postby eddy » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:14 pm

They don't really go into it in the material I'm familiar with, but how are strandcasts....... born? Hatched? Whatever. Are they full-grown, like Saruman's Uruk-hai? Not contradicting you, but I ask that because Snoke was created after Palpatine's demise at the Battle of Endor. So at most he's only like 3-4 years old during this timeline.
Wife said she read something that said snoke wasn't created until a little after current Mando timeline

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:20 pm

Did he eat it?
:lol: