Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:26 pm

Random pedantic Star Wars peeve: A sabre(er), by definition, is a sword with a curved blade. Lightsabers have straight blades. They are all misnamed.
Well the dude who created all this calls them laser swords.
duh

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:28 pm

The lady who played Elsbeth is a famous stunt lady herself.
She's actually got a pretty great personal story. Her dad was a student of Bruce Lee's, and Lee was actually her godfather; that's the coolest thing I've learned in 2020. :lol:

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:30 pm

It may please you to learn that in the German dubbed version a light sabre(er) is called Lichtschwert (lightsword) instead of Lichtsäbel (lightsabre(er)). Although sometimes it is called Laserschwert (lasersword) for some reason.

It does please me.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:46 pm

So my question would be how would Elsbeth know where thrawn is if he hadn't already come back. Last we knew he and Ezra were with the space whales, Elsbeth wouldn't know where that was, right?
Any thoughts to this? Wife said I'm thinking way too much about Mando, so here I am asking again, haha
There was one video - of the 100 or so I've watched lol - that supposed it's possible that final scene of Rebels is actually post-Mandalorian. But that doesn't really ring true to me. It really disconnects the storytelling of Rebels imo. Plus, I don't know when development work on Mando started, but I think Rebels would've been wrapped up before they got that deep into plotting the full arc of Mando. Could be wrong, of course. I just don't really buy that theory.

I tend to agree with you, though.
Filoni being involved in both projects and him leaving it open as a possibility in that interview I posted, definitely makes me believe it is possible. Ahsoka looks older in Rebels than she did in the last episode too. Perhaps it took her some time to find Ezra, before going to Sabine.

Ahsoka mentions that Elsbeth's people were slaughtered during the Clone Wars. I've seen a couple of suggestions about this today.
One is that she's from the Ming Po people from - *consults Wookieepedia* - a world called Carlac, who were massacred by the Death Watch during the Clone Wars, and the marking at the top of her forehead is vaguely reminiscent of the facial markings common to those people. But if that's the case, I'm not too sure how keen she'd be on teaming up with a Mandalorian; the Clone Wars ended roughly 20 years prior to the events of Mando, so if Elsbeth is about the same age as Diana Lee Inosanto (the actress) then she would've been pretty much a grown up at the time of the slaughter and would carry a memory of that.

Another backstory (put forth by one of the actress's makeup artists) was that Elsbeth is from Dathomir, which is the same homeworld as the Zabrak (Maul's people). But there was no further context provided as to her race or tribe. Then again, it's a makeup artist.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:19 pm

I like the Dathomir story. That's where Sabine got the darksaber in rebels. I thought all the stories that dealt with Dathomir were great and Filoni seems to really be on point when dealing with that planet.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:28 pm

Just realized jedi fallen order goes through dathomir as well. All the nightsisters are from Dathomir, right? Would be cool if Elsbeth is one of them

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:34 pm

Were there human Nightsisters?

Also, that's a good point about the Darksaber. Forgot about that.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:53 pm

I guess they were near human in canon...

Also interesting to think that snoke died about 25 years after where we are in Mando and himself being a strandcast of which we get to see is the focus of Gideon and Pershing experiment

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:57 pm

I take that back, I think they were human. They enslaved the zabrak males for mating

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:04 pm

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:11 pm

Most Nightsisters were full-blooded Humans,[22] but some of their covens consisted entirely of Dathomirians, the result of hybridization between Human witches and male Zabrak from Rattatak.[13] However, the Dathomirian racial group was drawn to near-extinction during the Clone Wars, when the General Grievous attacked Dathomir.[18] When heroes of the New Republic visited the planet in 8 ABY, all the Force witches they encountered were Human.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Nightsisters/Legends

Would love to see it get weird in live action with this stuff

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:20 pm

Could also be this based in the picture here?

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Singing_Mountain_Clan

I gotta get out of this rabbit hole...

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:59 pm

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:19 pm

Tython..... Jedha....... Ahch-To.......

One thing I believe they've done well in the Disney era is to focus on the Force as a spiritual thing, even if they talked about The Child's Thetans/M-count in The Siege episode.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:53 am

Also:

:lol:

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:14 am

Is Boston canon?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:27 am

Dunkies certainly is :lol:

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:37 am

Man that episode today.
Outside of the lame stormtroopers are untrained dumb dumb people usual stuff it was really good. The end scene with baby Yoda using the dark side was great. Pretty nice quiet aside that Moff Gideon is aware of baby Yoda's previous training

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:41 am

I just assumed that all things Star Wars would be shot on the Volume now. Or maybe they're just moving the Volume to a studio in Boston?

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:23 am

I just assumed that all things Star Wars would be shot on the Volume now. Or maybe they're just moving the Volume to a studio in Boston?
How much is it to set up a "Volume" as opposed to setting up a larger studio and adding all of the physicals etc? With the first on (R&D) out of the way, I suppose that a Volume would be a big initial investment (but not excessive) and then relatively flat to run. These could probably be set up rather quickly nearly anywhere in any city.

You could probably even just put up a large or medium sized one of those metal barn/garages for a more temporary location if they wanted to.

Not even just owning multiple Volumes, I would suppose moving them would be like moving a concert stage from city to city. You just would not be doing it every night.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:23 pm

The great thing about the Volume is that you can put it anywhere you want. And you can have more than one at a time.

Honestly, watching the BTS stuff for this show is fascinating. Watching real-time VFX rendering from a frickin' video game graphics engine is super cool.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:54 pm

Random pedantic Star Wars peeve: A sabre(er), by definition, is a sword with a curved blade. Lightsabers have straight blades. They are all misnamed.
>assuming Star Wars universe developed everything the same as ours.
>further assuming to know how weapons were named a long time ago in a galaxy far far away

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:01 pm

A more properly pedantic gripe about lightsabers would be why people fighting with them act like the hits have weight behind them. It's light photons, there's no weight.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:40 pm

not the best episode so far

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:17 pm