Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:41 pm

I'm trying to watch the Clone Wars again, using this list: https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/10/the-e ... uld-watch/

I'm facing the same problem I have every time I try to make it through these episodes: I don't buy it. I don't buy that these characters existed but were somehow excluded from Episodes 2 and 3. And Anakin has a padawan when he's not even a master? Dooku had an apprentice? Okay, why wasn't she around in the movies? Or even mentioned? It works as a stand alone show, but when I try to put it into the same world as the films, it just doesn't work for me. Obviously the Disney Star Wars is trying their best to merge the two so I'm assuming those connections work better. But for the Lucas era, not so much...

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:59 pm

The addition of these Clone Wars or whatever characters into Mando has finalized my decision to not continue watching (I was on episode 6 I think of season 1). I don't want to take the time to watch 2 entire other series to fully get whats going on in Mando.

Yeah yeah yeah I'm sure its "You dont need to" or whatever but why cant we just have a Star Wars spin off that stands alone? Why do we have to connect everything in this franchise?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:41 pm

Because Ahsoka Tano is a badass. You just must fear strong women ;)

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:56 pm

Don't know how much of the show you've been able to watch, but here's a spoilered explanation as I understand things.
The Clone War takes place almost entirely between Eps II and III. So the only film in which characters introduced in that show would have a chance to appear is Ep III. And when you consider how those characters' stories are resolved, there really isn't much discontinuity.

Sometime after the Battle of Geonosis, Anakin was Knighted and made a general to command forces in the Clone War, so him having a Padawan (Ahsoka) isn't that big of a big deal imo. And she was excommunicated from the Jedi order and had gone into hiding some time before the events of Ep III, so her not appearing there is understandable. She does return in Rebels, which temporally takes place in the couple years immediately before the Battle of Yavin, and that she and Sabine Wren joined forces to seek out Padawan Ezra Bridger (which would also mean finding Grand Admiral Thrawn) in the aftermath of the Battle of Endor and the fall of the Epmire, and we know she's also about to return in The Mandalorian, the typing of which has caused me to have a mild nerdgasm.

Dooku is a complicated figure. Before becoming disillusioned with the Jedi Order, one of Dooku's first apprentices was Qui-Gon Jinn, and he also trained General Grievous how to do lightsaber s**t. But if you're talking about the animated world, I'm guessing you're talking about Asajj Ventress as the apprentice? She wasn't in Ep II because Dooku's story was pretty siloed and wouldn't require her appearance, and she's killed off before the events of Ep III.

Some of it is complex simply because none of the animated characters existed in Lucas' brain mush in 1977, and so literally every piece of storytelling that's come out since is sort of some level of retconning. But I think the stuff that Dave Filoni has been involved with does as good a job as possible at making square pegs fit round holes. Woooo.

In retrospect, the general arc of Clone Wars and Rebels makes for a much more compelling prequel story than the actual prequels imo. I'd rather cast Eps I-III onto the same scrap heap as Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull and just watch the animated stories. You get very nearly all of the same character information that leads you Rogue One/Ep IV; no one wants to see Anakin in 4th grade or having a masturbatory fever dream about his mom.
All of which is a long-winded way of reminding you that he's not 'eating' the eggs. :wink:

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:08 pm

Don't know how much of the show you've been able to watch, but here's a spoilered explanation as I understand things.
The Clone War takes place almost entirely between Eps II and III. So the only film in which characters introduced in that show would have a chance to appear is Ep III. And when you consider how those characters' stories are resolved, there really isn't much discontinuity.

Sometime after the Battle of Geonosis, Anakin was Knighted and made a general to command forces in the Clone War, so him having a Padawan (Ahsoka) isn't that big of a big deal imo. And she was excommunicated from the Jedi order and had gone into hiding some time before the events of Ep III, so her not appearing there is understandable. She does return in Rebels, which temporally takes place in the couple years immediately before the Battle of Yavin, and that she and Sabine Wren joined forces to seek out Padawan Ezra Bridger (which would also mean finding Grand Admiral Thrawn) in the aftermath of the Battle of Endor and the fall of the Epmire, and we know she's also about to return in The Mandalorian, the typing of which has caused me to have a mild nerdgasm.

Dooku is a complicated figure. Before becoming disillusioned with the Jedi Order, one of Dooku's first apprentices was Qui-Gon Jinn, and he also trained General Grievous how to do lightsaber s**t. But if you're talking about the animated world, I'm guessing you're talking about Asajj Ventress as the apprentice? She wasn't in Ep II because Dooku's story was pretty siloed and wouldn't require her appearance, and she's killed off before the events of Ep III.

Some of it is complex simply because none of the animated characters existed in Lucas' brain mush in 1977, and so literally every piece of storytelling that's come out since is sort of some level of retconning. But I think the stuff that Dave Filoni has been involved with does as good a job as possible at making square pegs fit round holes. Woooo.

In retrospect, the general arc of Clone Wars and Rebels makes for a much more compelling prequel story than the actual prequels imo. I'd rather cast Eps I-III onto the same scrap heap as Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull and just watch the animated stories. You get very nearly all of the same character information that leads you Rogue One/Ep IV; no one wants to see Anakin in 4th grade or having a masturbatory fever dream about his mom.
All of which is a long-winded way of reminding you that he's not 'eating' the eggs. :wink:
Dammit tif, I'm starting to think you are right. Especially the long game he played with Sackhoff voicing and then playing Katan

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:30 pm

There have been some grumblings that given the live-action casting of a 40-year old as Bo-Katan, she would've been like 10 years old if she fought in the Purge. I just like to think she has a really solid skin care regimen.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:12 pm

The mandalorian is the first non-movie star wars thing I've seen, and I must say:

1. Everyone calling him mando is annoying
2. Bill burr is a terrible actor
3. Hes eating the eggs. And why not? Yoda getting breakfast seems more important than this moron getting her eggs fertilized. It's like if kirstie alley from look who's talking jumped in a cab, and it's john mcclane and samaritan jackson from Die Hard 3. Sure we'll stop doing things that matter to fix your dumbass problems, f*** jedi and terrorism.

Other than that it's pretty good

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:49 am

I don't like it, but I'm with Tif.

They made too big of a deal with The Child and the eggs with the focus of it. From using the force at first interaction, to eating the spider egg in a different fashion. That's going to play out more than 'he was hungry".

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:55 am

I really don't think the lizard amphibian family comes back. I think it was a joke that the creators thought was funny and didn't expect the audience to react the way we did.

Phil Szostak, creative art manager at Lucasfilm tweeted this (and since deleted it):

"For the record, Chapter 10 of #TheMandalorian makes it clear that the Frog Lady's eggs are unfertilized, like the chicken eggs many of us enjoy. But obviously, chickens aren't sentient beings and the Child eating the eggs is intentionally disturbing, for comedic effect."

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:51 pm

Bev summed it up. They spent waaaaay too much time lingering on the Child with the eggs for there to be no larger significance. Sure, they played it for laughs, as they had previously established that kiddo was pretty ravenous. But his interaction with Frogger's eggs was simply different, in terms of the visual storytelling, the music, the amount of screen time devoted to it. He may be 'eating' them, in the sense that he's ingesting them, but there's a greater significance.

I mean, they even have a Funko Pop! of him looking at the egg canister.
All the other licensed articles I'm aware of that show the Child eating actually depict him in the process of eating. (Frog legs sticking out of his mouth, bowl of bone broth up to his face, etc) If the takeaway from that scene was him eating the eggs, the toy would reflect that imo.

This is going to be fun to watch play out. :lol:

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:03 pm

Care to make it interesting?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:04 pm

Like in a hat eating context?

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:07 pm

:lol: If the eggs come back and the significance is revealed by the end of this season, you win. If not, I win. As for stakes... I don't know. Bragging rights? I'm too poor to actually bet.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:11 pm

Sure :lol:

To be clear, I'm not that invested in it in the sense that I'll be mad if it turns out he was just eating them. I'm just really confident that, given all the storytelling furniture, it's more likely that the eggs are a MacGuffin for the Child than for Mando, if that makes sense.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:23 pm

Nope. You have to be super invested and care beyond what is healthy. We're dug in now.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:23 pm

I'm back to him just eating them

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:10 pm

Baby Yoda is a dick.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:18 pm

Baby Yoda is a dick.
A small green dick. I'm with you

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:33 pm

Let’s just all calm down and wait for baby yoda to poop them out.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:55 am

The empire incompetence is an old trope, but it works well in this episode as we learned more about why they wanted the Asset.

Looking forward to the Coruscant dude's arc. Like him.

Hopefully in Mando we'll learn more about where the First Order came from because we never learned how the three parties in the sequels came to be.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:51 pm

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:24 pm

Best episode so far

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:13 pm

Green Dick used the force on those Oreos, so there must be more to them. ;)

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:26 pm

They're macaroons, you boob

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:43 pm

Ah yes, macarons.