Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:44 am

I'm assuming Palpatine will be a force ghost.Or rather, I'm hoping he is. He better not come back with mechanical spider legs.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:46 am

ugh

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:00 am

I'm assuming Palpatine will be a force ghost.Or rather, I'm hoping he is. He better not come back with mechanical spider legs.

In the books he just jumped into a clone body. If they were pushing that Rey is a clone (with those mirror images in the cave, etc)...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:07 am

Interesting.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:08 am

Probably too much so for SW.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:09 pm

The Sith could attain somewhat similar skills and manifest themselves to the physical world post-death, but proper Force ghosting is a power that is generally considered beyond the Dark Side. That is why the ascendant Dark Jedi have historically been so obsessed with immortality.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:23 pm

Right. I did like most of TLJ as a standalone film. As a sequel to TFA and the second chapter of a longer story? It didn't work at all.

Somehow it doesn't seem like Lucasfilm had the full story arc in place when they shot TFA.
The Force Awakens was released within three years of Disney acquiring Lucasfilm, so no, they definitely didn’t have things completed mapped out when they shot TFA.
They 100% had the broad story beats they wanted to hit locked in prior to casting TFA much less shooting it. The route they took to get to each waypoint was left to the individual writers and directors for the three Saga films, but the pitstops have been set for five or six years.

I mean people - even Mark Hamill, to an extent - freaked out a bit over Luke's final arc as a living character, but honestly if you sat through TFA and bought into the first four words of the opening crawl, this was kind of the ride you should've been expecting. From the day Harrison Ford signed on for the new films, you should've known Han Solo dying (early) was probably a condition precedent of his participation. The saga started 40+ years ago with two robots arguing over whose fault it is, so a fighter pilot making a crank phone call is not 'too much comedy for Star Wars'.

Social media is dominated by dopey dopes with their videos on YouTube - "THe Last Jedi: How Did This Happen?!?!@!" - who honestly present as people 1) who have never seen a Star War before; and 2) never seen an adventure movie with more than 1 named girl character getting any significant dialogue.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:06 pm

spoilery new skywalker clip has apparently hit the internet if you are looking at avoiding anything

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:08 pm

Right. I did like most of TLJ as a standalone film. As a sequel to TFA and the second chapter of a longer story? It didn't work at all.

Somehow it doesn't seem like Lucasfilm had the full story arc in place when they shot TFA.
The Force Awakens was released within three years of Disney acquiring Lucasfilm, so no, they definitely didn’t have things completed mapped out when they shot TFA.
They 100% had the broad story beats they wanted to hit locked in prior to casting TFA much less shooting it. The route they took to get to each waypoint was left to the individual writers and directors for the three Saga films, but the pitstops have been set for five or six years.

I mean people - even Mark Hamill, to an extent - freaked out a bit over Luke's final arc as a living character, but honestly if you sat through TFA and bought into the first four words of the opening crawl, this was kind of the ride you should've been expecting. From the day Harrison Ford signed on for the new films, you should've known Han Solo dying (early) was probably a condition precedent of his participation. The saga started 40+ years ago with two robots arguing over whose fault it is, so a fighter pilot making a crank phone call is not 'too much comedy for Star Wars'.

Social media is dominated by dopey dopes with their videos on YouTube - "THe Last Jedi: How Did This Happen?!?!@!" - who honestly present as people 1) who have never seen a Star War before; and 2) never seen an adventure movie with more than 1 named girl character getting any significant dialogue.
#AllDislikeofLastJediisSexist

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:17 pm

Not all of it. Just yours and Shaf's. :wink:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:18 pm

spoilery new skywalker clip has apparently hit the internet if you are looking at avoiding anything
There's apparently a new featurette on Amazon that you access by telling Alexa "The Force will be with you, always." Is this the same clip you're talking about?

I'm staying spoiler free for the duration and have largely checked out on all media sites that track the series.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:20 pm

There's apparently a new featurette on Amazon that you access by telling Alexa "The Force will be with you, always." Is this the same clip you're talking about?

I'm staying spoiler free for the duration and have largely checked out on all media sites that track the series.
Yes, I think that's it. I started reading about it and realized what was happening and threw my mouse like that would help.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:21 pm

lol

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:54 am

Mando chapter 6
Meh

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:24 am

Has star wars movies/shows ever explored a planet farther away than Tatooine?

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:42 am

Aren't they all far far away?

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:47 am

I think Ryloth is further out that Tatooine.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:10 am

What about Porg Island?

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:16 am

Good call. Ach-To is way out there in the Unknown Regions.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:18 am

I don't know, the recent talk from Mando about Tatooine and that being furthest on the outer rim had me wondering...

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:41 am

Nerds always have your questions already answered...

Tatooine is in the bottom right, 4:30-ish. It's nearly the farthest in that direction, but other places seem further from the center, just in other directions. Mon Calamari for example, 1:30-ish.

http://www.swgalaxymap.com/

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:49 am

wow, that's detailed. Have they really talked about that many places in star wars?

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:17 pm

wow, that's detailed. Have they really talked about that many places in star wars?

When you don't have a girlfriend wasting all of your time and money... you can get things done...

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:15 pm

Yeah how much of this is now part of the non-canon "Legends?"

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:28 pm

Yeah how much of this is now part of the non-canon "Legends?"

It has colors for canon and non-canon.