Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:22 pm

Well Anakin having a padawan wasn’t important enough to be mentioned in the prequels so anything is possible.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:25 pm

If you watched the cartoons you would know why.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:30 pm

It just occurred to me that she’s also alive during the OT. So yeah, again, anything is possible. Maybe the Rebels crew was just off screen during the sequel trilogy. Im sure there will be a comic book explaining how they’re actually super important.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:31 pm

None of these characters exist by the time of the Sequel Trilogy, so their stories have to wrap up at some point without their exploits being noteworthy to the existing cast.
Is that fact? Or they just didn't make it to the sequels?
Wasn't Ghost in return of palpatine or whatever the last one was called?

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:35 pm

Yeah in the same way ET is in Phantom Menace.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:38 pm

Yeah in the same way ET is in Phantom Menace.
Ha, Arguably some of the better parts of those movies.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:08 pm

"The universe feels small"

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:33 am

Thrawn doing some excellent Thrawn-ing.

Baylan Skoll wears wrist vambraces with Aurebesh writing.
LUKE.......LEIA
HAN
CHEWIE
R2D2.......C3PO
BEN

Probably an Easter egg (I can't imagine he'd be referring to Chewbacca by his nickname)...... but if Ben means Kylo Ren instead of Obi-Wan, all of them would be around in this timeline (which was confirmed in Ep to be sometime after the events of Mando Se3), even if Ben is only a pre-schooler).

I find it hard to believe that somehow the Legends character Abeloth, or Asajj Ventress will show up. But I'm blissfully in a space where I have no clue what's coming next. More, please.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:44 am

Yeah, it would be a shame if there wasn't a reunion of the Ghost crew. But we don't yet know how many/if any of them will be available for such a reunion.

The thing they've got to deal with is the same as the original Ahsoka problem. None of these characters exist by the time of the Sequel Trilogy, so their stories have to wrap up at some point without their exploits being noteworthy to the existing cast.
I honestly wouldn't expect anything too satisfying. I don't know the exact timeline, but these characters all seem like they could factor into anything that happens post-trilogy if they wanted in terms of age. They just have to come up with some sort of "somehow" justification that keeps them from factoring into the events.

It's nice that Filoni wants to provide some sort of unifying direction, especially after the mapping trainwreck that was the sequels, but I don't think there is yet some grand storyboard timeline already in place. They're still kinda flying by the seat of their pants if I had to guess.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:10 am

I think Filoni had (at least) a sketch of this story in the works since the Rebels finale. I mean he said at the time that Ezra and Thrawn survived the purgill jump.

For better or worse, Filoni is Lucas' padawan. It wouldn't surprise me if he's got 5 years of stories already roughed out.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:12 am

And I forgot to mention it when he first appeared this season, but Hayden Christensen circa 2023 looks and talks very much like he's doing a Brad Pitt impression.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:27 am

Rebels also ended with Sabine's vow to find Ezra.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:38 am

Cool episode, but I kinda felt like this was a bit of a repeat of last week's episode with Sabine reuniting with Ezra and now Ashoka doing the same. I think this has been my biggest issue with the show so far.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:53 am

Thrawn learning Anakin was Ashoka master was pretty great. He's like oh **** (pretty sure he's one of the few, maybe only who figured out Anakin is Vader on his own)

Threepio/Leia cameo was well done

Ezra looks and feels the part, he's terrific

Shin really got left out to dry this episode, I thought she was great

Baylan and Ashoka fight was sweet, I'm really excited to find out what is going on with him and with an episode left and his death in real life, I'm also worried we won't get closure on what appears to be a seasons worth of mystery

I thought this show got progressively better as it went along, but it definitely had multiple episodes that could have been one and expanded the story better

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:53 am

I think Filoni had (at least) a sketch of this story in the works since the Rebels finale. I mean he said at the time that Ezra and Thrawn survived the purgill jump.

For better or worse, Filoni is Lucas' padawan. It wouldn't surprise me if he's got 5 years of stories already roughed out.
This was circulating a bit last week on Twitter and it ties into exactly this. For full context, this is a clip-out from an on-stage interview Filoni did with Andi Gutierrez during the Star Wars Show's livestream during Celebration 2022 in Anaheim. The title of E6 of Ahsoka was "Far, Far Away":

https://x.com/WaysOfTheSith/status/1704 ... 31847?s=20

(Hopefully that link works)

Either way, yeah, I think he's had a good chunk of this entire series and what he eventually plans for the movie in his head for a long time. I'm really excited to see what this all eventually means for the upcoming film.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:24 am

That son of a dodint, cool stuff stoosh

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:50 am

Thrawn learning Anakin was Ashoka master was pretty great. He's like oh **** (pretty sure he's one of the few, maybe only who figured out Anakin is Vader on his own)
That was such a great character detail about Thrawn. At the time of the rebellion against the Empire, the number of people who knew Anakin became Vader was an exceedingly small group. If you remove Anakin himself and the Emperor from the reckoning (because that's cheating otherwise), it was basically: Obi-Wan (who learned it years after the fact); Tarkin (who only had his suspicions confirmed when Vader told him he sensed his old master's presence aboard DS1); Ahsoka (who learned it directly in her fight with Vader on Malachor); Yoda; I'm not certain but I think Bail Organa knew; it is intimated that Maul at least suspected that his successor as Sidious's apprentice became Lord Vader (although, oddly, I don't think he ever knew that Kenobi (!!!!!!!!!) was the one who maimed Skywalker on Mustafar); I don't know if all the Inquisitors knew, but at least two of them did.

So everyone who knew either had the information sort of direct from the source/was told it by someone who knew, or gained the knowledge through the Force. Except for Thrawn. He just intuited it because he's a smarty pants.

They are now saying that Baylan Skoll knew, but I'm not totally certain of that. Here's what he says:
Everyone in the Order knew Anakin Skywalker. Few would live to see what he became. Surely that must leave a mark. Is that why you walked away? Abandoned him?
Ahsoka left Anakin and the Order before Order 66 and Skywalker's fall to the Dark Side. It doesn't make sense that he'd be conflating the two events if he knew Anakin = Vader. I think everyone knew Anakin was behind the Temple massacre (it was captured in glorious holo-vision), but as far as most of the galaxy was concerned, Kenobi and Skywalker both just disappeared after that. So when Skoll says to Ahsoka that her legacy is like her master's, he might just be referring to Order 66 and Skywalker's general buggery as a war general, not specifically that he knew he became Vader. Or..... or.............. here's a thought........ I could just be needlessly overthinking it.

I'm sort of resisting the point, because I think the knowledge of Anakin = Vader was a major secret that was held in confidence through the entire civil war. And it was only many years after the fact, during the age of the New Republic, that the information became widespread and was ultimately used as a cudgel to end Leia Organa's political career.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:15 pm

Sorry if discussed before, here's what will happen: the Rebels crew and Thrawn will be stuck in this new galaxy, which, obviously, was created for the purpose of explaining why these characters never appeared in the OT (well, they couldn't because they were created later, but you know what I mean). Needless to say, neither Feloni nor Disney had the heart to kill these beloved characters, which is fine, and I'm sure they will eventually return to their home galaxy after 6 to 9 seasons of their merry adventures in the new galaxy ... where they may or may not have to deal with Thrawn some more, if he isn't killed next week. Or next season. Ahsoka Season 2.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:27 pm

So long as it doesn't turn into Land Of The Lost meets Battlestar Galactica.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:30 pm

Nah, Thrawn will make it back next episode. Not sure which of the rebels will make it back with him, but I'm guessing Thrawn comes back and that's the cliffhanger for the season. His "cargo" was just about finished up and I'm very curious to see what he is bringing with him, but that's my guess on how this season ends. Wouldn't be surprised to see Baylan stay back to start his new Jedi order with a rebel or two.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:36 pm

They've built Thrawn up too much between other shows to leave him back again, he'll be back and the new baddie going forward for shows/movies planned.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:25 pm

Watched the episode again, I am definitely feeling they nailed Ezra casting perfectly. Wish we got more of him earlier, because the actor gets him. I was laughing when he asked the troopers to take them as prisoners! Those little touches are what makes this show good.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:16 pm

They didn't really do a lot of build up for Skoll, and he's turned out to be a hugely compelling character. Which is sadly a shame.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:03 pm

I wish I had read what order to watch what shows in, because I finished S03 of The Mandalorian the other day, and am in the middle of The Book of Boba Fett, which I clearly should have watched first given some scenes.

Are the other shows worth a watch? I was thinking of Ahsoka next.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:13 pm

Andor first (it takes place before Rogue One) and then Ahsoka.