2019-2020 Pitt Super Panther Sports Thread (With a New Logo)

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:27 pm

It doesn’t matter what he says. Whether he admitted he was wrong or spun some BS like this, there’s no excuse, no explanation, nothing that can ever excuse doing that, let alone in a game against ups.

Can’t wait for him to kick a FG in Morgantown down 4 with 4 minutes left from the 2 yard line and take another year off my life.
This.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:32 pm

Also UCF is gonna be a tougher game next week. Good chance to start 1-3 even if they play well again next week.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:29 pm

Thoughts as I've finally started to calm down.

1. On the road in a hostile environment against a hated rival in what will be the final game of the rivalry for the foreseeable future and down one score and with the ball first and goal on the opponent's one yard line, every single player on that team deserved much, much better than the gutless, heartless, spineless, cowardly effort the coaches gave them.

2. I don't care what kind of math Narduzzi is using to justify his call. It's a one-score game. You score a touchdown, you go for the two-point conversion, you hold them off for five more minutes and you f'ing win the game. It's a one score game. Not two. It was a one-possession, one-score game. Moron.

3. Don't shut down media access to your players so you can listen to yourself talk all week about hoping the players recognize the idea that this may be the last game played in this series for a long time and THEN REFUSE TO TAKE YOUR OWN ADVICE AND KICK A FIELD GOAL ON 4TH AND GOAL FROM THE ONE DOWN A TOUCHDOWN IN THE FOURTH QUARTER. That was Wannstedt-ian, Tomlin-ian old-school NFL conservative garbage. Beyond that, it was strategically stupid because if you go for seven and don't get it, they get the ball inside their own five. Instead, you hand it to them at the twenty. Garbage.

In the last game of the rivalry for the foreseeable future, you pull out all the stops. On the fourth down, go for the TD. If they would have scored a TD and missed the two-point conversion, I could have stomached that.

I'm not calm anymore.

DESPITE EVERYTHING...

4. I'm stupidly, ridiculously somehow walking away from that game still somewhat encouraged by Pitt's prospects in the Coastal Division because everyone else in the ACC not named Clemson may be hot garbage to some degree or another.

5. I love the defense. I realize next week is going to be a whole different type of problem and I'm sure UCF is going to get their yards and points, but I love the way this defense gets after it. I thought they played a terrific game today.

6. The offensive line's inability to generate a push in the running game is as big an issue this year as their inability to pass-block was last year.

7. I thought Pickett played a really good game. That is not a very easy defense to play against and I thought he did a great job taking what they gave him. That throw on the fourth down to Griffin-Stewart was gorgeous. I'm looking forward to seeing how he continues to develop with Whipple.

I'll echo the thoughts above...I've never been as gutted for the guys on the roster than I am today.
Last edited by Stoosh on Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:37 pm

Yeah... Georgia Tech lost to The Citadel today lol

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:38 pm

I feel better about this team than I did 7 hours ago. Just stinks we may be looking at 1-3 again. Sht gets old. Even if they still could realistically end up with 7 or 8 wins come December

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:43 pm

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:00 pm

These running backs suck.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:13 pm

These running backs suck.
AJ Davis has 114 yards on 21 carries and one TD, which would be great if these were his one-game totals rather than his three-game totals. Sibley is allegedly one of the fastest straight-line runners on the team but he's done nothing with the opportunities he's been given. V'Lique Carter has a whopping seven carries on the year, though he at least can say he missed half the Ohio game because he was hurt.

I haven't been this underwhelmed by the running game since the pre-Shady days of Ray Kirkley and Tim Murphy. I don't think the line is doing them any favors but only Vincent Davis looks to have the vision, instincts, and quickness to be any sort of game-changer at this level.

I think the best two run defenses they play from here out will be Syracuse and Miami, so maybe they can get this straightened out the next three games.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:20 am

It just really blows my mind that these three RBs resulted in the mutual parting with Salahuddin, but this coaching staff thought it was a good idea
to put Paris Ford at CB last season, continually played Idowu, etc. so I guess the pattern of stupidity fits.

The playing on the goal line disaster was pathetic and Narduzzi’s decision is an embarrassment. I don’t know how he shows his face to his players after he bailed on them and showed zero faith in them. Seeing former Pitt players rip him on Twitter for the decision covers pretty much all that needs to be said. Expect an egg to be laid against UCF because why the **** would anyone want to go out and lay themselves on the line for a coach who wasn’t willing to do the same.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:20 am

does this game change anyone's predictions for total wins on the season? I say no. They have to go 4-3 in the rest of the conference schedule to finish at 6-6. I feel better about beating the 'cuse in the dome, and bc stinks. but until they actually score points, there is minimal room for optimism. I just don't see this team going 5-2 against the cuse, the u, bc, duke, UNC, VT, and GT.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:37 am

I echo Stoosh.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:39 am

Fire Narduzzi.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:48 am

This will end up being another average season. It will mean nothing in the long run. No progress will be made. It is what it is. They will get one big win at some point, and blow some other game. Such is the life of being a Pitt fan.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:56 am

I think I'm firmly on the side of Narduzzi is all talk, has brought nothing tangible to the program, and those wins he's had against big programs mean nothing, as he hasn't been able to really get traction to do much of anything.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:02 am

does this game change anyone's predictions for total wins on the season? I say no. They have to go 4-3 in the rest of the conference schedule to finish at 6-6. I feel better about beating the 'cuse in the dome, and bc stinks. but until they actually score points, there is minimal room for optimism. I just don't see this team going 5-2 against the cuse, the u, bc, duke, UNC, VT, and GT.
I think they have a better chance at beating UCF than I thought before the UPS game.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:20 am

I think I'm firmly on the side of Narduzzi is all talk, has brought nothing tangible to the program, and those wins he's had against big programs mean nothing, as he hasn't been able to really get traction to do much of anything.
This is correct.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:22 am

I think they have a better chance at beating UCF than I thought before the UPS game.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:30 am

This is correct.
I think it is underselling some of the progress over the past few years. This is the best defense of the post wanny era and this team probably has the most depth of the post wanny era. There are obviously some bigtime problems, but to say that he has brought nothing tangible to the program probably isn't true.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:47 am

7-7, Bowl Loss
5-7
8-5, Bowl Loss
8-5, Bowl Loss
6-7, Bowl Loss
7-6, Bowl Win
6-7, Bowl Loss
6-7, Bowl Loss
8-5, Bowl Win
10-3, Bowl Win
9-4, Bowl Loss
5-7
6-6
5-6
8-4, Bowl Loss
8-5, Bowl Loss
9-4, Bowl Win
7-5, Bowl Win
7-5, Bowl Loss

Other than the complete outlier of 2009, Pitt has been the same middling 5-7 to 8-5 program for the past two decades. Haven't finished a season ranked since 2009, haven't been ranked higher than 22nd since 2010, etc, etc, etc. There's no progress, it's just the same **** it's always been. The best defense or the best depth or best whatever doesn't mean a damn thing if you ultimately achieve nothing with it.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:49 am

better doesn't mean I think they will. It went from about 2% chance to 5% imo

Ted

Postby Ted » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:18 am

Puff, puff, give.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:35 am

[shows Pitt's consistent incompetence]
Don't you think this may be something more than just the coaching at this point? There have been how many coaches in this 20 year span? Even if you ignore the coaching carousel from 2010-2011, I'm inclined to believe it isn't the coaches.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:37 am

Don't you think this may be something more than just the coaching at this point? There have been how many coaches in this 20 year span? Even if you ignore the coaching carousel from 2010-2011, I'm inclined to believe it isn't the coaches.
Honestly, I believe it's been the entire AD's shortcomings to make the focus of Pitt, it's basketball program. I feel like Lyke is changing that, but the football program has felt second-rate, for 20 years or so.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:40 am

I believe that an extremely good coach could change the decades of incompetence, otherwise this is what Pitt will always be. My hope for the Narduzzi era was that he could turn Pitt into a consistent 8-4 team with a 10-2 outlier season every recruiting cycle that puts them in the national spotlight, but it seems like it's just going to be another run of 500ish seasons where 8-4 is the outlier. Maybe there's something to be said for keeping the program at that level and away from the depths of the pre-Walt days, but for now I'm going to continue to think and hope that Pitt football should be something more.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:56 am

I believe that an extremely good coach could change the decades of incompetence, otherwise this is what Pitt will always be. My hope for the Narduzzi era was that he could turn Pitt into a consistent 8-4 team with a 10-2 outlier season every recruiting cycle that puts them in the national spotlight, but it seems like it's just going to be another run of 500ish seasons where 8-4 is the outlier. Maybe there's something to be said for keeping the program at that level and away from the depths of the pre-Walt days, but for now I'm going to continue to think and hope that Pitt football should be something more.
I don't disagree that an extremely good coach could change the program around, but that shouldn't be the focus, imo. Chryst and Narduzzi were supposed "steals" from major programs as young, up-and-coming head coaches. Look at what Chryst has done at Wisconsin since he left Pitt. Did he suddenly learn how to coach? Or is Wisconsin a better run program?

On the other hand, look at some of the Nitters and their disdain for Franklin. Would you take UPS's record the past 5 years with a supposed lame coach?

Pitt needs to build its pedigree, and until then nothing will happen. Not to get all NAN here, but they need a new, football only facility. now. That's where this will all start if they truly want to turn the program around.