2019-2020 Pitt Super Panther Sports Thread (With a New Logo)

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:14 am

Source of the post I still have a very hard time understanding how we're in the middle of 2 big-time schools, and we can't recruit our area well to the point of even getting the higher tier guys not good enough to go to either program.
They can start by having their own stadium

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:17 pm

I don't think I'm saying that I want 8-10 wins every year, Benz called it out, that this is another coach in the long line of coaches that are just there, coaching to the middle of the pack. I still have a very hard time understanding how we're in the middle of 2 big-time schools, and we can't recruit our area well to the point of even getting the higher tier guys not good enough to go to either program.

You'd figure they would even get lucky and get a big-time recruit (that shows it on the field), but that hasn't happened really either, with Narduzzi.
I think this is a two-way street when it comes to local recruiting.

Wannstedt and his coaches did a ton of work to mend some of the relationships Walt damaged during the final years of his tenure but even Wanny lost his fair share of local recruits. He never really had a shot at Terrelle Pryor. And I remember some Pitt fans losing their minds every time guys like Nick Sukay (PSU), Jordan Hall (OSU) and Will Clarke and Pat Eger (each WVU) emerged at their respective schools. And it happened even as his teams were winning more. Wanny's last full class was the 2010 class, and in that class, he lost four Rivals four-star WPIAL players to Penn State alone - Pitt legacy Tom Ricketts, Miles Dieffenbach, Paul Jones, and Mike Hull.

I remember hearing that some local coaches & parents were put off by the way Chryst recruited, which I was always thought was somewhat ironic because his understated no-BS style probably served the interests of the kid better than just about anyone. The one most people remember there was Dravon Henry's recruitment, because his family told anyone who would listen that Pitt was late offering him and then Pitt was late following up with him.

The same sort of thing happened last year with MJ Devonshire. When Devonshire was a sophomore and Ohio State was showing interest in him, his father complained - in what was either a Beaver County Times article or an interview with Vuk's website - that Pitt/Narduzzi hadn't offered him. Then after Narduzzi finally did and took several steps to try to repair that relationship (he was a frequent guest at Pitt practices), Devonshire and his family did just about everything they could to delay committing to Pitt. In the end, after it became apparent that he wasn't completely in Ohio State's long-term plans, Kentucky not-so-coincidentally swooped in and secured his commitment.

And this is where I wonder about the two-way street, because I've heard enough dating back to Wanny's tenure that some local coaches and/or parents seem to hold Pitt to some sort of higher standard when it comes to recruiting their kids than they do other regional programs. This sort of thing may have cost Pitt a lineman from Pine-Richland last year.

I'm not defending Narduzzi here. I think it will always help Pitt to keep as much of the good talent home as they can. I also wouldn't have time for that kind of BS if I were the head coach of a P5 program - especially one that has a history of putting players in the pro ranks as well as the value of a respected academic institution behind it. It's a great big world that's made smaller by the internet. It's a lot easier for coaches to find the talent they think they need elsewhere than it was 20-25 years ago.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:29 pm

That's some awesome insight Stoosh. As always, just such an interesting scenario.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:06 pm

Given the frustration generated by Saturday’s shitshow, I decided to use my immediate loss of optimism to prove once and for all that Kenneth Shane Pickett is the worst Pitt QB of my lifetime. I was wrong, but not by much. Utilizing the barely useful statistics from Sports-Reference.com, I created a proprietary formula that leveraged Completion %, Games Played, Yards Per Game, Yards Per Attempt, TD Per Game, Interceptions Per Game, QB Rating, TD Rate, Interception Rate, TD to Interception Ratio, Rushing Yards, Rushing TDs, and existence of an NFL career. Per Game ratios were used to create some form of standardization and other statistics were further normalized on a 10-point scale to prevent the over influence of specific statistics.

Though my original claim was “Worst Pitt QB if my Lifetime”, I decided to focus on the time period since my first Pitt memory, which was Pistol Pete Gonzalez leading the Mighty Panthers to a come from behind victory in Double Overtime over WVU in the 1997 Backyard Brawl. This means that obvious Pitt GOAT Alex Van Pelt is absent from the rankings. Furthermore, I required a minimum of 100 attempts for inclusion, meaning that scrubs like Ricky Town, Joe Flacco, Jeff George Jr., Mark Myers, Trey Anderson, and Matt O’Connor (don’t even remember this guy) will be reserved for a list of truly terrible Pitt players, while true Pitt Hero Kevan Smith will now receive recognition for his 266/314/364/678 career slash line in 653 plate attempts as a backup catcher. What a beast.

These requirements left us with a list of 15 largely depressing QBs. Without further delay, the absolute unquestionable definitive ranking of Pitt QB misery:

15. Matt Lytle
I don’t remember this guy at all, probably because Pitt went 2-9 in 1998. The stats he sucked at the stats don’t lie.

14. Ben DiNucci
The first example of Pat Narduzzi’s continual grasping for straws to find a QB that doesn’t suck. DiNucci throws weird but is pretty athletic and is finally at some D-1AA nerd school like he belonged at in the first place.

13. Pat Bostick
Pat is an excellent color commentator and a great ambassador for the university and the football program, but god damn did he suck as a QB. Thrust into action before he was ready and then plagued with the realization that he was never any good to begin with, Bostick met life in the press box before his senior season even began. He is this list’s leader (loser) in Interception Rate, throwing a pick on 6.25% of his drop backs and he got sacked a ton. His existence feels like the perfect representation of the Wannstedt Era: should have been better. His flaccid stats actually resulted in him being the lowest ranked QB on this list, but **** if I’m not giving bonuses points for 13-9.

12. Kenneth Shane Pickett
Kid sucks. Can’t complete a pass more than 5 yards downfield, can’t read a defense to save his life, thinks knees have hands, and has been living on the Miami victory for almost two years. If it wasn’t for his legs he would probably be further down this list.

11. Max Browne
Sometimes I find myself blissfully wanting the Max Browne Era to return. Sure he sucked, sure he made Tom Savage look like an Olympic Sprinter, sure the WRs had to run 5 yard routes because he would be dead before they made it another yard downfield. He actually completed those passes though. Thanks to the benefit of the smallest sample size on the list (fewest pass attempts, only QB below 1000 yards), Browne is the list’s leader with a 71.1% completion percentage and has the lowest interception rate at 1.48%. He wasn’t good, but I do wonder what he could have accomplished with an offensive line that wasn’t horrific.

10. David Priestly
My dad hated Priestly because he was left-handed. That and losing the starting job to Turman are my most prominent memories of the Priestly era. He put together a pretty solid senior season that was highlighted with a Tangerine Bowl victory over NC State. Antonio Bryant went off for MVP and Priestly outperformed that Canaan Philip Rivers.

9. John Turman
It’s fitting that Turman barely edge out Priestly because he was basically the right-handed version of Priestly. Largely unremarkable and incredibly average (just how Pitt likes their QBs), I remember him going through a training camp with the Steelers before losing the 3rd QB job to the legendary Tee Martin.

8. Bill Stull
I remember everyone on the Pitt interwebs wanting Bill Stull to start, then once he started everyone wanted him benched in favor of Pat Bostick, Kevan Smith, or Tino. It’s hard being a QB in Pittsburgh. Classic Wannstedt QB in that his purpose was to hand the ball off and limit mistakes, except for he really liked to get sacked and threw a decent amount of picks. Won a Belk Bowl but also QB’d Pitt to the legendary 3-0 loss at the Sun Bowl. Wanny’s shining moment.

7. Chad Voytik
After his Little Caesar’s Bowl appearance and pretty stellar sophomore campaign, I really thought Pitt had something with Voytik. Pretty accurate, decent arm, and 2nd on this list with 529 rushing yards despite the limited appearances, Voytik seemed like the perfect QB to run a modern era college football gimmick offense. Probably wasn’t given a fair shake to keep his job once new offensive coordinator Jim Chaney recruited his guy to the program.

6. Tino Sunseri
The most hated guy on this list. He was a ****** bag, wasn’t good, Todd Graham really hated him, and he took like a thousand sacks in his junior and senior seasons. He also leads this list in games started, completions, attempts, passing yards, and is 2nd to Max Browne in interception rate. There’s a universe out there where Tino’s career is considered successful and he is remembered fondly. This isn’t it.

5. Pete Gonzalez
What a legend. Dude played in another era where QBs weren’t expected to do much, but he had an excellent senior season in Walt Harris’ first year while throwing to WRs that no one remembers. Spent two years with the Steelers.

4. Tom Savage
Savage felt like the first QB since forever who could do more than just manage the game. Takes a big hit for being the most sackable QB since Brett Favre laid down for Michael Strahan. Was nice to finally have a QB with a big arm who could actually get the ball downfield to Boyd and Street. Fourth most passing yards in a single season in school history.

3. Rod Rutherford
Knew that the best option on offense was to throw it somewhere near Larry Fitzgerald. Hampered by the most interceptions on the list with 30, but also has the most rushing yards (880) and rushing TDs (14). Probably played the college game about a decade too early given the offensive transformation that has occurred.

2. Tyler Palko
Barely edged out for the number one spot, largely due to his disastrous junior season at the hands of Dave Wannstedt and Co. Leads the list with 66 TDs but only compiled 86 rushing yards despite his athleticism due to the aforementioned junior season where Cavanaugh had no idea what to do with him. Local legend, great QB, collected NFL paychecks of some form for five seasons, said **** on national TV after beating Notre Dame, trucked a BC linebacker on ESPN. I loved watching Tyler Palko.

1. Nathan Peterman
The greatness of his senior season increases in magnitude with each passing mediocre campaign. 2016 seems like forever ago. List leader in yards per attempt, QB rating, TD rate, and TD to INT ratio. Extremely good, smart QB, whose senior season should have been a sign of things to come instead of the modern high point of Pitt existence. Also very mobile with a list leading 3.3 rushing yards per attempt. NFL record holder.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:15 pm

dickie, i love you man, but peterman over Palko and Rutherford is a borderline crime

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:19 pm

dickie, i love you man, but peterman over Palko and Rutherford is a borderline crime
THE NUMBERS DON’T LIE

I would personally put Peterman between Palko and Rutherford. I just got tired of screwing around with the equation to make it work.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:32 pm

**** Tino Sunseri.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:37 pm

priestly was a bajillion times better than voytik and tino

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:46 pm

He was trash, just like all of them.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:49 pm

My unofficial no-stats ranking of guys I remember (shmucks like Max Browne that I already forgot about until DD's list are excluded)

Palko
Rutherford
Peterman
Savage
Priestly
Stull (most underrated imo)
Voytik
Pickett
Nucc

Tino
Last edited by willeyeam on Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:50 pm

Dinucci ranked higher than Tino due to 2+ less seasons of inflicting emotional pain to us as a starter

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:52 pm

Max Browne is the worst Pitt QB I have ever seen.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:23 pm

Thank you.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:20 am

Source of the post 5. Pete Gonzalez
throwing to WRs that no one remembers.
My oil stained Terry Murphy jersey weeps

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:29 am

Jake hoffart is also offended

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:57 am

TIL that robbiestoupe is probably Terry Murphy.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:57 am

Definitely is Terry Murphy's mom

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:07 am

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... /1997.html

i remember most of those tomato cans.

tho to be fair, super bowl champion hank poteat was no tomato can

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:15 am

Pistol Pete, Kevan Barlow, Darnell Dinkins, and Hank Poteat are the only guys I remember from the 97 team.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:15 am

a 6-6 Pitt team that can't be

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:16 am

56th out of 112

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:16 am

I remember West.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:24 am

i went to the same high school as chris Schneider and thought he was the greatest thing ever, so I remember him.

you obviously remember eric kasperowicz

I had a dewayne schulters jersey

my mom liked john Jenkins because he went to the same high school as my mom

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:18 am

Pro Football Focus tweeted out that on Saturday night, Keyshon Camp generated 6 QB pressures and 1 defensive stop in 19 snaps played. That's pretty ridiculous production, and it's going to sting even more if this ACL injury turns out to be true.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:21 am

not Terry Murphy's mom, just a super pitt fan