2019-2020 Pitt Super Panther Sports Thread (With a New Logo)

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:38 am

I have the final round of my club championship tomorrow AM so I will sadly be missing this barnburner

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:54 am

Who else will be in attendance with me
I've decided to go to my niece's tball game tomorrow morning instead. I feel I've made the right decision.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:18 am

I have the final round of my club championship tomorrow AM so I will sadly be missing this barnburner
if the ulfster is skipping out on #maction, why should any of us go?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:40 am

I'll be at the game. I expect a loss.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:50 am

if the ulfster is skipping out on #maction, why should any of us go?
The last MACtion game for me was vs Akron and what a weird game. 5 (?) years later and I still don't know who I was rooting for.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:11 am

I fully expect Pitt to blow the doors off Ohio, after which I get waaaaay too confident that they'll beat Penn State and then go back to sullen Pitt fan status afterwards. #PittRollerCoaster

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:32 am

Max Browne is on my tv on a channel called Stadium. He has meth mouth.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:47 pm

how many INTs has he thrown

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:34 pm

how many INTs has he thrown
Not many.
11. Max Browne
Sometimes I find myself blissfully wanting the Max Browne Era to return. Sure he sucked, sure he made Tom Savage look like an Olympic Sprinter, sure the WRs had to run 5 yard routes because he would be dead before they made it another yard downfield. He actually completed those passes though. Thanks to the benefit of the smallest sample size on the list (fewest pass attempts, only QB below 1000 yards), Browne is the list’s leader with a 71.1% completion percentage and has the lowest interception rate at 1.48%. He wasn’t good, but I do wonder what he could have accomplished with an offensive line that wasn’t horrific.
Keep up Slappy!

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:03 pm

imo dunn's conclusion re: max power is wrong because all of his stats are severely skewed by the rice owls game:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/b ... =400937486

his game log as a super panther explains a lot:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/p ... max-browne

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:28 pm

Oh, he was completely terrible. The offensive line was also completely terrible at pass protection and severely hindered the one positive attribute Browne might have had, a strong arm. After the UPS disaster he was limited to quick drop backs and short routes to prevent him from getting sacked to death. I would have liked to seen him play behind a more competent line, but the results would likely have been the same since he sucked at USC as well.

Even without the Rice game his completion percentage is 66% and his interception rate is extremely low, though all of his TD production goes away except for YSU. He's also not the only Pitt QB in history to pad their stats against **** opponents. His placement on my nonsense list based on a half-assed formula benefits from a small sample size and this program having some truly awful QBs over the past two decades. Anyone outside the top five of that list can piss off.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:59 pm

Browne's arm sucked imo. Those floaters against UPS were trash and made his limitations plain. Maybe he can throw it far, but in terms of zip, Pickett has him beat by a country mile imo. He remains the worst Pitt QB I have ever watched, and he did it in such a short time period that I am truly impressed. I would rather have watched DA NOOCH scramble around aimlessly.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:46 am

Pitt

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:58 am

#h2p

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:31 pm

Betting the Pitt line today was as easy as it gets.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:59 pm

Not getting a yard there...yeesh.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:26 pm

Pitt

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:15 pm

Winning is better than losing.

#h2p

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:19 pm

H2P

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:40 pm

Impressive win..
Congrats gents

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:55 pm

How did Kenneth Shane look today?

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:12 pm

Long post incoming. Some thoughts...

1. Pickett was better. He finished 26 for 37 with 321 yards passing, with 1 TD and 0 INTs. There were a few bad reads here and there, but he looked noticeably better than last week. He spread the ball around to six different receivers and two backs. What I liked seeing was that of his 26 completions, 24 went to WRs or TEs. Yes, we can throw to the TEs, Shawn Watson.

2. The running game had a really hard time getting going in the first half. It picked up quite a bit in the second half and especially the fourth quarter. Pitt got the ball back with 7:00 left and never gave it back. They killed the last seven minutes almost entirely with the running game when Ohio knew it was coming.

3. Pitt may really have something with Vincent Davis and AJ Davis. I'm not sure I've ever seen a back as small as Vincent Davis that takes contact as well as he does. Showed terrific vision, gets up the field, and seems to cut laterally without losing any speed. AJ Davis still hesitates a little too much to get to the line, but when he gets there and into the second level, you can see why he was a four-star RB. He looked better today.

4. I'm actually trying to think of the last time I saw an FBS-level RB as small as Vincent Davis. Maybe Dion Lewis when he was a freshman? Troy Davis at Iowa State was small but he was stocky.

5. BAD: V'Lique Carter appeared to suffer a concussion and FB Rashad Wheeler did something to his ankle or leg. Neither returned. Hopefully both are OK.

6. I thought the defensive front seven looked really good. According to the broadcast booth, Rourke was playing sick so he wasn't really 100% but I'm not sure it would have made a huge difference. His ability to run was a central point of their offense and the front seven kept him pretty well bottled up.

7. Jaylen Twyman was a beast today. 3 solo tackles, 3 sacks. Habakkuk Baldonado (4 tackles), Patrick Jones (4 tackles) and Deslin Alexandre (2 tackles) were all very visible and active today. Also, Kylan Johnson has been a terrific upgrade at LB.

8. SOMEWHAT BAD: It still was a game that was a little too sloppy for Pitt. A few too many self-inflicted wounds. Ffrench played a great game but also dropped two punts that he thankfully got back. Pitt had a surefire pick-six negated because Cam Bright and Dane Jackson didn't realize they were both going for the same ball. 10 penalties is too many. The first drive sputtered because they open the game with a false start, then take a sack. Second drive, they have 2nd & 10 on Ohio's 11 and Ulizio false-starts, which puts them at 2nd and 15 on the 16. The drive still resulted in a FG, but not after Pickett almost threw the pass on 3rd down directly to Ohio MLB Jared Dorsa. Dorsa, thankfully, had hands like feet on that play.

2nd quarter, Ohio kicks a FG to make it 17-3. On the ensuing drive, Pickett completes two straight long passes to get Pitt to the Ohio 29. On the next play, Houy false-starts so now it's 1st and 15 on the Ohio 34. Pitt can't convert, Kessman gets too much turf on FG attempt and misses.

9. NARDUZZI BIZARRE DECISION OF THE DAY: After holding Ohio on their opening possession of the second half, Pitt gets the ball early in the third quarter. On 3rd and 10, Pickett hits Ffrench for 9 yards but Ohio was offsides. Faced with either 3rd and 5 or 4th and 1 at the Ohio 49, Narduzzi declines the penalty, goes for it on 4th down and Vincent Davis gets stuffed. Ohio takes over at the Pitt 45 early in the third down only two TDs. Thankfully, Wendell Davis and Kylan Johnson come up with sacks on the ensuing possession.

Some other quick observations I made:
- Baldonado looks huge for a redshirt freshman. He played really well.
- Ffrench's TD was near-perfect execution. Great O-line protection. Great job by Pickett looking off the defense. Great job by Ffrench to get open.
- Ohio's long pass to set up their TD came with most of Pitt's second-tier guys in the lineup. It looked like they fooled Stocker into playing too far to the middle and and his guy got behind them. True freshman Sirvocea Dennis saved the TD, at least temporarily.
- Pitt's TEs today: 7 receptions, 60 yards. Pitt TEs all last year: 10 receptions, 69 yards.

All in all, it was a good win. Pickett needed this one, the offense looks like it may have some things to work with, and the defense had a game worth of good work to tune up for next week. They left some points on the board due to some correctable dumb mistakes, and I have no idea if anything I saw today will translate to next week, but I'll take it.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:46 pm

@stoosh is a gentleman and a scholar.

Thoughts:

-This team managed to score 20 points on 460 yards of offsense and no turnovers. How?

-Pickett had time and made throws. Making throws is reason for optimism. There is no reason to assume that pickett will have any time next week or any other game, for that matter.

-We watched some of the clemson v aTm game after the pitt game (plenty of time to watch those 330 games due to the asinine 11 am start). I’m pretty sure the only two guy on pitt’s Roster that would see any time for clemson would be Twyman and Ffrench. Maybe Dane Jackson in sub packages.

-This is a self loathing pitt fan statement, but it is too bad that Fffffffrench couldn’t/didn’t have the opportunity to grad transfer. He would be an awesome addition to a spread offsense. Is he the most underrated player in the ACC? Perhaps.

-i dont like grad transfers but johnson is definitely an upgrade and a legit ACC level player

-i have no hope for this season or frankly any season in which Kenneth Shane Pickett plays QB. That being said, i’m Always looking towards the future and i do think Vincent davis can contribute to a good team in the future.

-if that game actually meant anything, people would be calling for Narduzzi’s head for that outrageous offsides/4th down decision in the second half. There is no publishable would to describe how bad that call was.

-good turnout by the students IMO

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:48 pm

I also had the “privilege” of hearing the Wendy bell pregame show. Cringeworthy in its horribleness.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:40 pm

I don't have much to add on anything. I think KSP looked good, probably because he's a MAC-level QB. Not impressed with either of the upper classmen RBs. Nice to see TEs be involved. I think the offensive line has been a mix of good and bad, but can definitely see the potential. Ffrench is too good to be stuck with KSP. Defense looks really good. Twyman is a monster. Jones, Alexandre, and especially Baldonado look impactful. Secondary looked good, but I still don't trust Hamlin.

DEPTH CHART SHENNANIGANS!

RB: Davis OR Sibley OR Davis
DT: Watts OR Danielson
Mike: Pine OR Reynolds OR Brightwell

- Shocky and Smith played on Saturday, yet no changes to the WR depth chart that still has Vardzel backing up the slot.
- Vincent Davis is their best RB and I think it's only a matter of time before he gets the bulk of the carries.
- I like Watts, but I question how much he's improved as a player since his freshman year. Danielson getting the OR (and the start against Ohio), is probably a bit of a motivator for Watts and a bone thrown to Danielson for working his tail off.
- LB situation is now weirder. Pine is still listed as Johnson's backup at Money but is the defacto starter at Mike, where the injured Brightwell now finds himself third on the depth chart at a position where he often started as a freshman.

SirVocea Dennis and Jared Wayne made their debuts against Ohio.