2019-2020 Pitt Super Panther Sports Thread (With a New Logo)

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:19 am

after not having any ill will towards Syracuse fans, I have now downgraded them to d-bag status.

also, what can pitt do to, you know, score points in the second half?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:36 am

after not having any ill will towards Syracuse fans, I have now downgraded them to d-bag status.

also, what can pitt do to, you know, score points in the second half?
Welcome.

I think the answer is to stay aggressive. They build up big leads and go conservative. But the issue is that they aren't good enough at pounding the ball to be that conservative. The other issue is when they got aggressive at Duke, they turned it over a few times. Be aggressive and protect the ball.. easier said than done obviously.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:53 am

Great weekend for the Pitt athletic department:

- Pitt FB beat Cuse
- Pitt mens soccer beat #1 UVA
- Pitt VS sweeps UNC and NC State
- Pitt women soccer beat NC State
- Pitt MBB got a top 100 recruit
- Pitt swimming and diving beat MSU

Good stuff!

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:19 am

Most Sacks Allowed FBS
1. Syracuse 35
2. Akron 32
3. Old Dominion 32
4. Miami 31
5. Cal 30

Like Syracuse, this seems to set up nicely for us.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:24 am

Oh wow. If it goes anything like the Syracuse game, Tate Martell might finally get his shot at QB.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:26 am

Can we not bring up Akron football this year

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:31 pm

Most Sacks Allowed FBS
1. Syracuse 35
2. Akron 32
3. Old Dominion 32
4. Miami 31
5. Cal 30

Screw you slappy.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:53 pm

Most Sacks Allowed FBS
1. Syracuse 35
2. Akron 32
3. Old Dominion 32
4. Miami 31
5. Cal 30

Screw you slappy.
hi nan

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:09 pm

brown what are the odds that you give a lengthy, enjoyable mid season rant/state of the program post?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:35 am

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:08 am

The look on all the cheerleaders' faces :lol:

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:25 am

Showing their O face(s). :pop:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:53 am

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:32 pm

brown what are the odds that you give a lengthy, enjoyable mid season rant/state of the program post?
Coaching: B. Narduzzi made a very good hire in Whipple to make up for his all-time worst hire, and deserves some credit for that. The second-half offensive Operation Shutdowns have got to stop. The defense is killing it. Overall, players are actually progressing and developing, which hadn't really been the case in the last couple of years. This grade gets marked down from a B+ because of (1) the FG decision at the one at UPS with four mins left down 7; (2) the fact that Nards has to lead the NCAA in defensive timeouts year after year taken because he absolutely cannot help himself and has to be the defensive genius; and (3) the menagerie of mangled clock management and penalty decisions. His players seem to love him, though. Kylan Johnson was a great grad transfer, and Ulizio seems average at best but he appears to be their best option at that tackle spot, so good work there by the coaches to identify and get those two in.

QB: B. Kenneth Shane Pickett has earned his full name.

RB: D. Bad Davis is now upgraded to Vaguely Mediocre Davis. I remain unconvinced. Vincent Davis looks like a player but needs a year or two of strength and conditioning to hit his apex and he's not going to be an every down back in any event. Sibley is the back that looks the best to me. V'Lique Carter is fine but they gotta stop giving him the ball in between the tackles.

WR: A-. Critical drops at times by all of these guys has been the only downside for the WR corps. Mack coming back for his senior season would be huge for 2020, but the young guys have shined from time to time.

OL: B-. Good pass blocking and below average run blocking. Its a young line and they appear to have some young talent like Kradel on the come up so that bodes well.

TE: C-. They exist this year, which is a huge improvement. Had some big plays, but some big drops from Griffin-Stewart against UPS and one from Gragg last week against Cuse that would have likely iced the game if he holds onto it.

DL: A+. Consider they lose almost nothing next year and have a bunch of RS FR and RS SO destroying QBs. Watts is the only guy gone for sure after this year (though Pat Jones may be playing himself into the Draft as a RS JR). Big time yikes for the ACC over the next couple of years. Narduzzi's entire genius rep rests on the front four causing havoc and its finally back to 2015 levels.

LB: A. Also very fun to watch. Will also be a very strong group going into next year.

DB: A-. Probably an unpopular opinion, but Hamlin is too up and down for my liking. He is certainly violent, which I enjoy. Paris Ford is absolutely wonderful. The CBs have been very good as well.

Special Teams: D. Punting Christ has been good overall. Kessman has been bad (8-14 for 57%, gross) and every time he goes out there its an adventure. Kick/Punt coverage has been good. Ffrench hasn't been as explosive in the kick game as the last two years, and I am really bummed out that Ford fumbled away his chance when Narduzzi put him back there against UCF.

Overall Season Grade right now: B. UPS loss is particularly disheartening because they played a top 10 team to a standstill on the road and the coach took the chance to win that game out of their hands. The UVA loss is even worse because it was a conference game, and if Mack doesn't drop that pass the play immediately before the INT when Pitt is up 16-14 Pitt wins that game 100% imo.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:49 pm

if Mack doesn't drop that pass the play immediately before the INT when Pitt is up 16-14 Pitt wins that game 100% imo.
thank you for your service slappy but this is all I thought of when I read WR - A-. They've been very good but that drop is enough to downgrade out of A territory for me.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:00 pm

Coaching: B. Narduzzi made a very good hire in Whipple to make up for his all-time worst hire, and deserves some credit for that. The second-half offensive Operation Shutdowns have got to stop. The defense is killing it. Overall, players are actually progressing and developing, which hadn't really been the case in the last couple of years. This grade gets marked down from a B+ because of (1) the FG decision at the one at UPS with four mins left down 7; (2) the fact that Nards has to lead the NCAA in defensive timeouts year after year taken because he absolutely cannot help himself and has to be the defensive genius; and (3) the menagerie of mangled clock management and penalty decisions. His players seem to love him, though. Kylan Johnson was a great grad transfer, and Ulizio seems average at best but he appears to be their best option at that tackle spot, so good work there by the coaches to identify and get those two in.

QB: B. Kenneth Shane Pickett has earned his full name.

RB: D. Bad Davis is now upgraded to Vaguely Mediocre Davis. I remain unconvinced. Vincent Davis looks like a player but needs a year or two of strength and conditioning to hit his apex and he's not going to be an every down back in any event. Sibley is the back that looks the best to me. V'Lique Carter is fine but they gotta stop giving him the ball in between the tackles.

WR: A-. Critical drops at times by all of these guys has been the only downside for the WR corps. Mack coming back for his senior season would be huge for 2020, but the young guys have shined from time to time.

OL: B-. Good pass blocking and below average run blocking. Its a young line and they appear to have some young talent like Kradel on the come up so that bodes well.

TE: C-. They exist this year, which is a huge improvement. Had some big plays, but some big drops from Griffin-Stewart against UPS and one from Gragg last week against Cuse that would have likely iced the game if he holds onto it.

DL: A+. Consider they lose almost nothing next year and have a bunch of RS FR and RS SO destroying QBs. Watts is the only guy gone for sure after this year (though Pat Jones may be playing himself into the Draft as a RS JR). Big time yikes for the ACC over the next couple of years. Narduzzi's entire genius rep rests on the front four causing havoc and its finally back to 2015 levels.

LB: A. Also very fun to watch. Will also be a very strong group going into next year.

DB: A-. Probably an unpopular opinion, but Hamlin is too up and down for my liking. He is certainly violent, which I enjoy. Paris Ford is absolutely wonderful. The CBs have been very good as well.

Special Teams: D. Punting Christ has been good overall. Kessman has been bad (8-14 for 57%, gross) and every time he goes out there its an adventure. Kick/Punt coverage has been good. Ffrench hasn't been as explosive in the kick game as the last two years, and I am really bummed out that Ford fumbled away his chance when Narduzzi put him back there against UCF.

Overall Season Grade right now: B. UPS loss is particularly disheartening because they played a top 10 team to a standstill on the road and the coach took the chance to win that game out of their hands. The UVA loss is even worse because it was a conference game, and if Mack doesn't drop that pass the play immediately before the INT when Pitt is up 16-14 Pitt wins that game 100% imo.
Respectable grading, though I would give the OL lower. Some other thoughts:

- VMD has earned the name upgrade... for now.
- The extremely nice thing about the DL is that Twyman and PJ2 could be playing themselves into the draft and would end up being replaced by Keyshon Camp and Rashad Weaver.
- There's a ton of depth at LB and I love it. Also, Brightwell will graduate, which I also love.
- Hamlin's tackling and physical play is much improved since his first two seasons, but the kid still has issues in coverage.
-I have no idea what inspired the coaching staff to ever put Ford at CB because the dude is just a natural at SS and should have been playing over that jamoke Dennis Briggs last year.
- Of their three most used CBs, I think Jackson is the least good and has the most issue playing Narduzzi's tight press/physical style. Also a position with a lot of depth.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:05 pm

during the Syracuse game I must have asked the rhetorical question "why the hell didn't ford play last year" like 800 times

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:59 pm

I'd like to post an observation. Our front 7 can not only get to the QB, they can tackle. They get to the QB and then they finish. I can't recall really any missed tackles in the backfield

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:06 pm

I'd like to post an observation. Our front 7 can not only get to the QB, they can tackle. They get to the QB and then they finish. I can't recall really any missed tackles in the backfield
The missed sack against UPS where they scored on that drive is the only one I can think of and unfortunately it was one of the most high leverage plays of the season. Think it was Garner

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:11 pm

The missed sack against UPS where they scored on that drive is the only one I can think of and unfortunately it was one of the most high leverage plays of the season. Think it was Garner

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:12 pm

The secondary is almost extraordinarily bad at tackling when they blitz

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:08 pm

Great content. It has been a lot of fun watching both Pittsburgh football teams pressure the quarterback without the blitz and their college quarterbacks put up some decent play.

Pitt football is must see at the moment. So i sense the danger

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:41 pm

Great content. It has been a lot of fun watching both Pittsburgh football teams pressure the quarterback without the blitz and their college quarterbacks put up some decent play.

Pitt football is must see at the moment. So i sense the danger
The danger is real....I mean, we all see that pitt *can* win the rest of its game. There isnt a team that has a distinct talent advantage on the schedule. They haven’t farted away any winnable games this year and for the most part last year. That being said, it is a tough ask for this team, which does still have some limitations, to run the table. I think 9 wins at this juncture is more than reasonable to expect. A win against the U should go a long way to attaining that goal. Really, if they beat the U, i actually think they will beat UNC.

Whipple should be in the conversation for the coordinator of the year award.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:48 pm

I don't know if this is a Nan or shad jinx but I'll be satisfied with being ranked before the bowl game..

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:49 pm

I said it before the Cuse game, but Pitt is better than every team left on the schedule. But only by a handful of points. It would be somewhat miraculous to win out and end the season with 9 straight. It's just not very likely when you're not that much better than anyone. If Pitt drops one, it will be seen as somewhat of a bad loss.. but 9-3 is 9-3 after a 1-2 start and I'd still be thrilled with it