2019-2020 Pitt Super Panther Sports Thread (With a New Logo)

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:11 am

Kenneth Shane Pickett played a gutsy game and made nice passes when it mattered most. But i am not prepared to anoint him as “good”

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:17 am

Congrats Pitt Bros. That's the kind of win that turns a season around. Your team is so weird.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:51 am

It's now a little more than 12 hours since I left the parking lot and I still cannot believe Pitt won that game. I'm going to try to rewatch it at some point (they're replaying it on Tuesday afternoon on one of the ESPN channels...I forget which), but here are some thoughts...

1. I was in the home side corner of the open end of the endzone, so the winning TD happened at the other end of the field from us. From our vantage point, it looked like a busted play. I had no idea what happened until everyone went nuts. Unbelievable call. Just an unbelievable call.

2. This Pitt team has got guts. They lost Pinnock late in the first half, then lost Mathis very early in the third. They gave up a TD not long after that because while replacing Pinnock/Mathis, Marquis Williams lined up over the wrong guy. They lost Kylan Johnson for a while. They lost Pickett for a while. After UCF scored to go up by 10, you could feel the inevitability of some sort of 51-28 final score or something like that. PItt's players never wavered, and that's a huge testament to those players and coaches.

3. I cannot say enough about how much fun this defense is to watch. They play with an edge and at a speed I don't remember really seeing by a Pitt defense before. That was supposed to be the best offensive line UCF has had in recent memory and Pitt's front seven just dominated them. KIllins (he's really good) got loose for one run of 36 yards; take that away and UCF's backs averaged 3.7 yards per carry. You could tell UCF was a team that hadn't really been hit in the mouth. Pitt's defense did it over and over to them.

4. Pitt's front seven on defense:
Phil Campbell - 2 solo, 5 assists, 1 INT
Deslin Alexandre - 1 solo, 6 assists, 1.5 sacks
Cam Bright - 4 solo, 2 assists, 1 tackle for loss
Kylan Johnson - 2 solo, 2 assists, 2 tackles for loss, 1 sack
Patrick Jones III - 2 solo, 2 assists, 1.5 sacks
Habakkuk Baldonado - 2 solo, 1 assist, 2 tackles for loss, 1 sack
John Morgan - 2 solo, 2 tackles for loss
Jaylen Twyman - 2 solo,1 sack

Watts, Danielson, Bentley, and David Green apparently didn't post stats but all four saw time at DT as well.

Cam Bright had an outstanding game, including a huge stop on 4th and short in the 4th quarter. He's going to be a hell of a player. Habakkuk Baldonado is also going to be a star.

5. The new uniforms and colors look beautiful in person.

6. UCF is a really good team that probably deserved to be ranked higher than 15th. That said, they're undisciplined - Pitt's drive to get the fourth TD was aided by three dumb penalties - and their defense would get exploited by some of the playoff-caliber teams this year.

7. The officiating was "D-league hockey at 11:30pm on a Tuesday" levels of bad. There were three blocks in the back that were missed on UCF's punt return for the TD. There was a "Saints-Rams" level PI call missed against Pitt. The "roughing the passer" call against Pitt on Gabriel was an outright embarrassment.

8. Seeing what Whipple has done with this offense and with Pickett makes me angry that this program wasted two years with Shawn Watson. Pickett was good...not great, but good. If he keeps improving and the defense keeps playing like this, I'm really excited to see what they'll do once the conference schedule gets going.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:30 am

It is pretty crazy to think about the amount of change in the past few years in terms of the quality of the front 7. the linebackers are good, it seems like every single defensive end that gets snaps is really productive. baldonado and deslin alexandre have done more noticeable things in four games this season than james folston and Dwayne Hendrix did in their entire careers

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:49 am

That was a fun game to be at. To echo Stoosh, you could just feel that Pitt was going to let that 21-0 lead go after UCF came back and end up losing 51-28 or something. Everyone just kept waiting for something to happen. And when Kessman missed that field goal with like 5 minutes left, people started to leave.

I was down the open end of the field too and couldn't see that they scored. It was the student section reaction that made me realize they just scored.

Fun game. Hopefully they can go out and have an easy game against Delware and then head into ACC play.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:50 am

Also, shoutout to the volleyball team. Swept PSU at PSU and then lost a heartbreaker 16-14 in the 5th set, but it was an extremely fun match to watch. Good showing as well. We'll be at the Field house on Sunday to watch them against VT.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:08 am

That's your "Narduzzi wins one game to get the goodwill back" moment.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:10 am

Pitt wins like this are like Pirates winning 12 of 15. You want to get excited, and do get excited and then they become the Pirates (Pitt) again.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:11 am

6 votes this week

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:12 am

Also, I do not care about the size of the crowds at home games, but I will say that during UCF's last possession, the crowd was as loud as any crowd ive heard at a home game in a long time. Though I will say that the loudest ive ever hear Heinz was during Revis' punt return for a TD against WVU w/ derrick kinders awesome block.

Best pitt home games in the Heinz era:

1. Pitt UPS
2. Pitt VT - louie polite game
3. Pitt UCF

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:27 am

The atmosphere has been good this year. I missed the OU game, but UVA and UCF had engaged crowds and were into it. It's been a little fun

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:27 am

Also, I do not care about the size of the crowds at home games, but I will say that during UCF's last possession, the crowd was as loud as any crowd ive heard at a home game in a long time. Though I will say that the loudest ive ever hear Heinz was during Revis' punt return for a TD against WVU w/ derrick kinders awesome block.

Best pitt home games in the Heinz era:

1. Pitt UPS
2. Pitt VT - louie polite game
3. Pitt UCF
Yeah, the crowd was into it. It was pretty loud.

The students have brought it all season too. Lyke moving them down to surround that endzone instead of having a small sliver in the corner and sticking the rest in the upper deck is a simple, but smart change.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:11 am

Slappy... we still in fire nard dog mode?
This post, from the night of the UPS game, was not in jest:
Somehow Mike Tomlin has not made the most sackless, cowardly, embarrassing, laughable coaching decision by a Pittsburgh based HC on 4th and goal this week.

Fire both of them into the goddamn sun, Narduzzi first.
:shock:
Did you watch this sht man. I’m done
ive already gone to their 2020 schedule and talked myself into them being 6-0 and in the top 15 when Notre Dame comes to Heinz in mid-October so everything is pretty normal over here

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:14 am

@MrKennethTKangaroo

My hot take is that they should finish the season 6-2 or better or I will be disappointed. If they went 5-3 and finally win a damn bowl game, I can maybe live with it given how the team and schedule set up for next year.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:46 am

I would settle for 5-3 IF the bowl win is over a power 5 team.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:50 am

Hell of a win.

Offense
- I'll echo the marsupial's sentiment that KSP is a gutsy competitor, but I'm not ready to label him as "good". Has too much trouble on long routes and hitting receivers in step, pretty much killing YAC.
- Aaron Mathews. What a legend.
- Pitt's second TD was all Ffrench. Terrible play design that UCF would have blown up for a big loss is Ffrench wasn't Ffrench.
- Need to get better on third down. Struggled mightly in this area once again.
- I'm about done with the V'Lique Carter Experience. Did nothing last year after his surprise appearance against Duke and that has continued to this season. Not fast, agile, or quick enough to make up for his lack of size.

Defense
- Despite the second half points conceded and the yardage numbers from UCF, I thought this was once again a hell of a performance from this group.
- One of the LBs (Johnson or Campbell) took a terrible angle on UCF's first TD. That should have been blown up in the backfield.
- Saleem Brightwell is too slow to man ILB and Cam Bright has quickly turned into their best LB. I'd like to see more of Bright-Reynolds/Pine-Johnson as the LB trio.
- Gutsy display by the DBs, battling through injuries and a lot of guys running in and out of the lineup. Paris Ford is a difference maker at SS.
- This defensive line is straight up **** good. Twyman is probably playing his way into the NFL next season.

Special Teams
- Aaron Mathews. What a legend.
- UCF's punt return was bullshit with multiple uncalled penalties, but Pitt still had numerous opportunities to tackle that MFer.
- Open tryouts for PK tomorrow? Kessman is a disaster.

Based on the participation chart, freshman DB Brandon Hill made his first appearance, LB Leslie Smith made his first, LB Brandon George made his second, LB SirVocea Dennis made his third, and WR Jared Wayne made his second.

I also just saw that always injured WR Tre Tipton is out for the season with a knee injury. This sadly makes sense.

DEPTH CHART!

WR: Butler-Jenkins, Wayne or Shocky

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:57 am

the defense is noticeably crappier when Brightwell is on the field.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:08 pm

This and next year's schedule have me pretty pumped about what could happen next year. The life of a Pitt fan

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:20 pm

Pinnock and Mathis expected to play Saturday. I know it's Delaware but that is good news.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:43 pm

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:47 pm

Pitt going for it on fourth down for the rest of the season confirmed.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:43 am

the defense is noticeably crappier when Brightwell is on the field.
the marsupial's hard-hitting analysis is borne out by the raw numbers:
- Saturday was Brightwell’s first start at middle linebacker since the end of the 2017 season, and while he played 73 snaps - the second-most on the team behind Jackson - he recorded just one tackle assist.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:45 am

Sagarin has Pitt favored in every game except @ Cuse from here on out

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:56 am

Brightwell's career peaked against Clemson in his freshman year. He's short for the position, was never particularly fast, the work to bulk him up from 195 to 230 has made him noticeably slower, and he was coming out of camp with an injury. **** happens; luckily, Pitt has plenty of LB depth to make up for it. Hopefully Elias Reynolds will be healthy moving forward, but I still can't believe how little traction Chas Pine has gotten at ILB.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:03 am

pine got banged up (for real, not fake) against UCF from what I saw. as in he got off the field and was legit hurt, not fake hurt like a lot of guys