2019-2020 Pitt Super Panther Sports Thread (With a New Logo)

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:10 pm

UVA - Win
Ohio - Win
PSU - Win
UCF - Loss
Del - Win
Duke - Win
Syr - Win
Miami - Loss
Ga Tech - Win
UNC - Loss
VT - Win
BC - Win

I think they'll go 1-1 vs UPS and UCF. The UVA game is really key both for the division and just the rest of the season. Start off with a W and things look great. Lose that one and you're looking at a possible 1-3 start

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:23 pm

Well, that's coming off of UNC. That's usually an auto-loss, and depending on season placement, could be a death blow to the actual team. Momentum wise, I could see them losing there because of carry-over.

Also, it's just Pitt of them to lose dumb games.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:33 pm

I don't think they beat PSU, Duke, Miami, Ga Tech or VT.
GT is gonna suck.. Why not vs VT? Demolished them last year, and I don't think they're adding a ton of talent..
GT is trying to run a pro-style offense with Triple-Option recruits. Their own coach said they'll be terribad.

VT is grossly overrated by the media for some unknown reason.

Miami is a dumpster-fire teach chemistry wise.

I'll be at the Duke game so Pitt will win.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:29 pm

I'll parse some stuff in here that I've read on PL. Keep in mind that this is based on the very limited window that the media seems to be given for practices and from some things I've read, they've seen very little, if any, actual play from scrimmage.

1. RB - It seems like AJ Davis and Sibley are the top two backs. Narduzzi has says Salahuddin is healthy but that they're bringing him along slowly, especially since they started full contact. (Takes large grain of salt) Narduzzi also talked up Vincent Davis, saying he had a terrific scrimmage this past Saturday and he's someone that could certainly get the four-game allowable look. For whatever it's worth, too, Daniel Carter and Salahuddin both pass the look-the-part test.

Reading between the lines, I get the sense that the coaches think Salahuddin has the best of the bunch right now and they're doing everything they can to make sure he gets reps while also minimizing any risk of injury. I think Davis and Sibley will be fine as well (Sibley reportedly has shown some really good speed), but it sounds to me like Salahuddin is their favorite to win the job.

2. DE - The top two right now are Jones and Alexandre. Peak reported yesterday that Narduzzi (grain of salt) was very complimentary of Alexandre's play in the scrimmage Saturday. The race for the backups appear to be led by John Morgan, Habakkuk Baldonado and Kaymar Mimes (whose last name is pronounced MIMS, as I learned today).

I think Alexandre will be OK. He won't be Weaver, but I think he'll be better than Hendrix was last year. In the No. 3 role last year, Jones very nearly outplayed No. 2 Hendirx despite getting significantly fewer snaps so if Jones builds on that, it would go a long way toward stabilizing this position in the wake of Weaver's injury.

3. Morgan potentially contributing as the No. 3 DE would intrigue me because he's supposedly the quickest of the DEs.

4. The DT rotation is Watts, Camp and Twyman in a variety of combinations. Danielson is also working in as expected, and Tyler Bentley and David Green are in the mix there. If these four play to their potential this year, it will lighten the load considerably on the DEs.

5. Other things I've heard from the scrimmage (grain of salt):

a. Paris Ford looks like a significantly better player. Again, grain of salt. But again, maybe the 5-star safety prospect should have been playing safety all along.
b. Pinnock and Dane Jackson both look the part and play the part as potential NFL-caliber corners. For what it's worth, Pinnock looks noticeably bigger and stronger. Mathis looks like be the leader at the No. 3 corner. That could be a really good group.
c. Twyman has been a beast. At times on Saturday, he was supposedly loudly daring Whipple to run the ball up the middle.
d. The o-line pass blocking was not as bad as last year, but not great either. Whether that's more a testament to their quality or the quality of the DL remains to be seen. Some have said it's the latter.
e. There is a passing game that 1) uses the middle of the field and 2) actually uses the TEs. Pitt Football's twitter account posted a minute-long video of highlights and I believe I saw Carrigan, Gragg and Girffin-Stewart catching passes.

6. POTENTIAL CAMP DARLING/LARGE GRAIN OF SALT ALERT: Brandon George seems to be getting a lot of talk as a true freshman that could make an impact beyond just four games this year and it's gone on long enough now that it may be legitimate. He's not in the top six LB rotation at this point, but Peak and some others that have seen practices have said he looks like he's ahead of some of the other underclassmen both physically and in terms of the way he sees the field. If either Reynolds or Brightwell fall off or get hurt, he may be in the mix.

7. OL - If they had to play tomorrow, it looks like the first unit would be Warren at LT, Hargove at LG, Morrissey at C, Houy at RG and Ulizio at RT. Warren and Houy have been getting good reviews. Borbley also said Hargrove has looked better than last year. The second unit has mostly been Van Lynn at LT, Chase Brown at LG, Kradel at C, Ford at RG and Jerry Drake at RT. It sounds like Houy & Ulizio are interchangeable at their spots. This is all still subject to change and they may be mixing more in during live plays. Much of what the media has seen is restricted to drills.
Last edited by Stoosh on Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:43 pm

I was wondering how Ulizio would fit in.

Good stuff and I changed my mind.

15-0.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:26 pm

Thanks Stoosh!

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:43 am

picked up my seasons tickets yesterday. I was very disappointed by the selection in the super panther team store.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:33 pm

Kenneth,

Hello. IMO the UVA opener is one of the most critical games of Narduzzi's tenure. Not because it is a guarantee that winning means they will finish with X record or that losing means they will miss a bowl game, but because every time that Narduzzi has been in a high leverage situation that would have changed perception in truly meaningful ways, they haven't come through (if you squint at last year you can maybe sell me on it).

2015 -- Pitt is 6-1 in his first season (!) after three years of Coach Mayo's love of 6-6 records due to the number six's shape reminding him of the shape of pork chops. They are ranked for the second straight week and come into a home Thursday night game on ESPN against UNC at #23. 26-19 loss. They finish 8-4. They play a #21 ranked Navy team, with a win getting them to 9-4 and a spot in the top 25 for the year that you can sell all summer as evidence that you immediately have made them relevant. They lose.

2016 -- Not as bad a missed opportunity as 15, but they are at 5-2 with a win over UPS, and two losses to ranked teams by a total of 8 points (losses at OKST and at UNC). VaTech is ranked and comes to Heinz Field, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand 3 point loss 39-36. They lose the next week to Miami, and while this team does demonstrate resiliency (even Dickie has to admit that these guys buy into Narduzzi and never give up on him, even when they went 5-7 in 2017), and beat Clemson and close out at 8-4, they lose their bowl game to Northwestern. They were ranked #23 going into that bowl game and likely finish in top 20 if they win. So basically, they were within two home losses of finishing the first two seasons of his tenure here in the top 20!

2017 -- wjkhiuwhfihfkneklnjeklrvnklenvl

2018 -- This didn't really have the same high leverage scenarios as 16/17, but laying an egg against Miami 24-3 the week after clinching the Coastal and -- yet again -- finding themselves ranked in the AP poll was a real letdown. That was worse than the OK ST blowout or the UPS loss to be honest. Just a real stinker.

2019 -- UVA is a bit of a preseason darling and is just outside the top 25. Home game. Night game. Likely a strong crowd for Labor Day weekend and a full day of tailgating. Win and maybe you are ranked. WARNING SIGNS ARE FLASHING KENNETH.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:29 pm

Very nice state of the union/retrospective from @slappybrown

After reading that post, i took a trip down memory lane and reread the super panther 2018-2019 season thread. Iroinically enough, your truly made a post that said this:
so pitt is playing in a bowl game today @ 2:00

this game is probably more important to the program than the first few bowl games on the nard dog era. actually, this game might be more important to the program than any bowl since the fiesta bowl. and really, the outcome of this game is more important than the outcome of the fiesta bowl. you have to be happy with how the conference schedule played out, and no one should diminish a coastal championship. but 7-7 with a lot of blowout losses is not a good look and will probably result in a lot of people looking past the progress the program has made.

I hope pickett doesn't stink.
Well we all know how the most important bowl game of the nard dog era unfolded. Any momentum went kaboom.

But S. Brown is right...this game is important. This pitt team isnt talented enough to make noise nationally (especially without Weaver). So the only way to generate any sort of momentum is to a. Win the coastal and earn the right to be embarassed in front of a bunch of clemson fans in charlotte or b. Win 8 or 9 games. Beating a somewhat good (32nd in the AP, 44th or something in the USA Today poll) UVA team would get momentum going in the right direction.

Speaking of that USA Today poll, they have pitt 65th out of 130. I’m not sure if they were trying to be cute, but if that was itentional....kudos.

Also, i dont think we appreciate how shitty the offense was by the end of the season.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:47 pm

No one would give two shts if we went 8-6 and won that instead of finishing 7-7

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:34 pm

Former Pitt pitcher TJ Zeuch, who was a first round pick by the Blue Jays and is currently in AAA, tossed a no-hitter for the Buffalo Bison.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:16 am

#h2p

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:45 am

Former Nitter (like until last night) is transferring to Pitt. Immediate eligibility and has two years left.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:29 pm

Petrishen was one of those guys that Chryst missed out on and resulted in a lot of hand wringing for pitt fans back in 2015. hopefully he can contribute in some shape and some form.

Joegap

Postby Joegap » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:41 pm

PantherLair thread on Petrishen is just as reasonable and level headed as I thought it would be.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:02 pm

PantherLair thread on Petrishen is just as reasonable and level headed as I thought it would be.
Yep. That thread is a big reason why I mostly just read the boards there and not post as much. It's impossible to have a rational discussion with some of those guys. Like someone in that thread said, if we landed a grad transfer with two immediate years of eligibility from literally any other school, it doesn't create a negative ripple in the fan base. But because he was at UPS, it somehow makes Pitt look smaller...I guess?

I'm glad Pitt got him. I have no idea how much he'll actually help but the only way this really goes badly for Pitt if he ends up playing a lot and he absolutely stinks. Outside of that, Pitt's getting either a depth player or a potential contributor for no hit to their scholarship count.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:13 pm

Morrissey, Jackson, and Ffffffffffffrench named captains.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:32 pm

8 days

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:36 am

4 star tackle was down to Pitt and UWV

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:00 am

Good get need more offensive line guys.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:15 pm

DEPTH CHART!

QB: Kenneth Shane Pickett, Nick Patti OR Jeff George Jr.
RB: AJ Davis OR Todd Sibley
WR: Taysir Mack, Aaron Mathews
WR: Tre Tipton, Dontavius Butler-Jenkins
WR: Maurice Ffrench, John Vardzel
TE: Will Gragg, Nakia Griffin-Stewart, Grant Carrigan
LT: Carter Warren, Carson Van Lynn
LG: Bryce Hargrove, Brandon Ford
C: Jimmy Morrissey, Owen Drexel
RG: Gabe Houy, Jake Kradel OR Chase Brown
RT: Nolan Ulizio, Jerry Drake Jr.

DE: Patrick Jones, John Morgan OR Kaymar Mimes
DT: Jaylen Twyman, David Green OR Tyler Bentley
DT: Keyshon Camp OR Amir Watts, Devin Danielson
DE: Deslin Alexandre, Habakkuk Baldonado
Money: Kylan Johnson, Chase Pine
Mike: Elias Reynolds OR Saleem Brightwell
Star: Cam Bright OR Phil Campbell
SS: Paris Ford, Jazzee Stocker
FS: Damar Hamlin, Therran Coleman
CB: Dane Jackson, Erick Hallett
CB: Jason Pinnock OR Damarri Mathis

Holder is now Christodoulou followed by KSP.

Thoughts!:
- Still think that by the end of the season Carter and Salahuddin will be the primary RBs.
- Who the **** is John Vardzel and where is Shocky and/or V'Lique? All these WRs they've recruited and some 5'10 walk-on from NA is getting run on the two-deep.
- Offensive line shaking down pretty much as I expected once Ulizio was added to the mix. However, Wheeler moving from DL to OL to not even get on the two-deep sucks for him.
- WHAT THE **** IS THIS **** NARDUZZI!?!?! I ACTUALLY GAVE YOU CREDIT FOR FINALLY PUTTING CAMP AND WATTS AT TWO DIFFERENT POSITIONS AND THEN TWO MONTHS LATER YOU'VE GONE BACK TO THIS BULLSHIT!?!?! FIRE NARDUZZI.
- Nice to see Green, Bentley, and Danielson get on the two-deep. Same for Habakkuk.
- So after the entire camp it looks like the only thing they've decided with the linebackers is that Kylan Johnson is better than Chase Pine.
- Who the **** is Erick Hallett?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:19 pm

I think the Camp/Watts thing boils down to Twyman crushing it at camp which is fine with me

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:25 pm

Probably

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:28 pm

I was a little shocked to not see Shocky. But tbh he didn't impress me a whole lot last season.. Forgot about V'Lique, that's strange. Habakkuk intrigues me and by all reports he had a great camp so here's hoping he can pitch in a little to help absorb the Weaver loss. Man I'm still bummed about that

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:32 pm

Losing Weaver is a major bummer. Alexandre, Morgan, Mimes, and Habakkuk got a lot of work to do to make up for his loss.