Movie Thread

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:38 pm

What's your take on where 22 ended up once she got her Earth chip? The sequence seemed to imply that she was dropping into China, or thereabouts.

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:39 pm

Just got my second vaccine
Greatest makeup effects sequence in film history. Change my mind.
Challenge accepted

So the reason this isn't my #1 is that I consider this to be special effects more than make-up. But you are correct, as far as practical effects go, John Carpenter's The Thing is and easy #1

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:40 pm

And, if anyone is looking for good practical effects, check out The Void

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:50 pm

Recent non-Pixar movie dump:

Hunt For The Wilderpeople: Excellent. Well-crafted film with mass appeal. Has pretty much everything you want from a movie of its ilk. Currently on Netflix, and I recommend subtitles or else you'll miss out copious amounts of New Zealand slang (as well as lyrics to an original song late in the movie). Taika does it again (and his cameo is hilarious). Great performances from the leads, which often isn't the case when you've got kids/teens carrying a heavy load.

Mother: No, not that one. The 2009 Bong-Joon Ho movie where a mother attempts to prove the innocence of her "slow" son who is convicted of a murder after police bully him into signing a confession. Unsurprisingly a lot of similarities to Parasite here, in that the plot and characters always keep you on your toes, and big laughs can be found at some of the most unsuspecting places. The attention to detail and amount of layering done by the director is very impressive. Certainly recommended.

Bill and Ted Face the Music: Enjoyable and very funny. This one definitely exceeded expectations. Nice to see the dudes still being excellent to each other.

Another Round: Danish movie. This doesn't quite reach the levels of director Thomas Vinterberg and lead Mads Mikkelsen's previous collab "The Hunt," which is excellent, but this one is still pretty good. Essentially, 4 high school teachers decide to test the theory of Norwegian philosopher and psychiatrist Finn Skårderud, who posits man is born with a blood-alcohol deficiency of 0.05% (and as such, maintaining that level will put one in the ideal state of looseness and boldness required to be most successful in life), and things go from there. On the whole the movie takes a completely unbiased position on drinking -- many scenes will either be funny or tragic depending on your own views of drinking, which I think is a pretty impressive accomplishment.

On The Rocks The new one from Sofia Coppola starring Rashida Jones and Bill Murray. Woof. What a dud.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:56 pm

On The Rocks looked bad. Do they bang at the end? That's kind of how the trailer felt.

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:58 pm

What's your take on where 22 ended up once she got her Earth chip? The sequence seemed to imply that she was dropping into China, or thereabouts.
Yeah, that seemed to look like the general area. Hopefully it was somewhere in there where she can enjoy her zest for life completely uninhibited. :lol:

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:58 pm

On The Rocks looked bad. Do they bang at the end? That's kind of how the trailer felt.
No, but it probably would've made for a more interesting movie.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:01 pm

Hunt for wilderpeople is so good. Ricky's birthday song scene is one of the best 1 minute scenes in a movie. That entire movie is just incredible.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:18 am

Soul was weird as hell. I dug it. Soundtrack was terrific. Fun fact on the jazz side of things: the drummer's brother for Bastiste is my kids band teacher in school and their dad was my band teacher in school. Funny how the teacher/musician part of their family parallels the movie.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:39 pm

Rad bluray on sale

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:14 pm

Rad bluray on sale

@eddy My man.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:22 am

Many Saints of Newark’ Delayed to Fall 2021
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/sopr ... 234878777/

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:33 am

I started writing CLERKS III on December 28th and just finished the 101 page first draft last night! But the writing doesn’t begin when you start tapping the keys: I’ve been stirring this stew in my brain pan for awhile now. So when I sat down to put years of daydreaming into actual words, the typing part of the writing process was pretty brisk. Fake New Jersey (or what I’ve long called the View Askewniverse) has been so much more preferable to visit than the real world lately - but I’ve told the tale I wanted to tell, so it’s time to step back, hand the script off to a trusted few, and then tinker further based on the feedback. For those keeping score anymore, this is actually Clerks III v.2. I had written a different version of Clerks III about 6 years back - one which I’m now very happy we never made (although I used the opening scene for @jayandsilentbob Reboot). This is a much more personal story than the previous incarnation, drawing directly on the heart attack that nearly killed me (3 years ago next month). It was oddly triggering writing those scenes, as it was the first time in awhile I contemplated how close I came to shuffling lose this mortal coil. But far more than make me mindful of my own mortality, this script to Clerks III makes me laugh out loud. Dante, Randal, Elias, Becky, Jay and Silent Bob are all back, and the premise of the flick allows anyone who was in Clerks or Clerks II to return in some capacity. After a bummer of a 2020, this is how I want to spend some of 2021: at @quickstopgroceries in New Jersey where it all began, with friends and family. And when we finally roll cameras on Clerks III, I will know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I *am* supposed to be there that day! #KevinSmith #clerks3 #clerks #clerks2

-Kevin Smith

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:39 am

Kevin Smith loves to prematurely announce his next film on social media. Did Jeff Anderson agree to do this? That was what sank the original Clerks 3. I'm assuming he has the rights to this? That's what sank Mallrats 2. Does he have funding? That's what nearly sank J&SB Reboot.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:44 am

I would love a Clerks 3 but only if Jeff Anderson is in, without him... no go. I enjoyed Clerks II for what it was, and the original Clerks is still my favorite of his movies probably in no small part to me working in a video store as one of my first jobs.

LeopardLetang

Movie Thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:54 pm

Man i just really can't stand Kevin Smith

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:00 pm

I like his story about writing Superman Lives better than any of this movies.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:03 pm

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:07 pm

I used to really like Kevin Smith. I was big into the View Askewniverse, even visiting Quick Stop/RST and the Secret Stash. I saw him speak at one of his early college tours and it was great. He's a better storyteller than a filmmaker, especially these days. Since leaving the Askewniverse, he's really struggled to make a decent movie. Clerks 2 is probably the best of the bunch but some are ridiculously bad. I'm looking at you, Tusk and Yoga Hosers. I understand that he just wants to make movies with his daughter and that would be fine if his daughter even a slightly decent actor. And I'm glad Mewes is sober and healthy, but I have a hard time watching him nowadays with his new teeth.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:10 pm

He is definitely a better storyteller than filmmaker.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:11 pm

Interesting. There’s a lot of ways they could go with this, but I hope it’s not something that undoes the intended emotional impact of Old Man Cap showing up at the end of Endgame.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:14 pm

They need to be careful. Cap's story wrapped up perfectly.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:14 pm

Yeah I could listen to him tell stories all day. As nocera said his recent movies have been not good.

Clerks and Mallrats though....still can watch those movies anytime. Chasing Amy is really good too and Dogma is not bad (parts of it being filmed in my hometown in 8th grade and getting to meet Jay make me a bit biased).

Anything after that outside of Clerks 2 ranges from bad to holy **** bad.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:18 pm

I never wanted Mackie as Cap, so I'll remain excited.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:26 pm

I like his story about writing Superman Lives better than any of this movies.
First time I watched that, when he got to the part about the producer insisting on the giant spider.............. :lol: