Movie Thread

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:05 pm

Hereditary:

I dunno...man. Interesting watch. I think I took the wrong approach to it and undercut a lot of what it was trying to do, but, still. Hmmm.
They were sooooo heavy handed with the mental illness stuff that I never bought into any of the paranormal aspect at all, thought it was going to be more of a Shutter Island thing. Except nobody snaps out of it at the end. Hmph.

The foreshadowing was laid on pretty thick, undercuttting the 'twists'. Were they trying to be M. Night Shyamalan?

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:22 am

Came out of parasite last night thinking that I’ve never seen anything like it. I thought it was quite an illustration of what happens to people when they feel like they have nothing to lose.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:54 am

Came out of parasite last night thinking that I’ve never seen anything like it. I thought it was quite an illustration of what happens to people when they feel like they have nothing to lose.
:thumb: really looking forward to this, sadly I don't think I'll be able to get around to seeing it in the theater.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:57 am

I’ve been going to the movies less and less each year because I don’t want to spend $50 and gamble on the movie being ****. I miss the $5 movie ticket days.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:01 am

I’ve been going to the movies less and less each year because I don’t want to spend $50 and gamble on the movie being ****. I miss the $5 movie ticket days.
That's why I'm pretty strictly a Saturday morning Monroeville Cinemark customer. They just raised it to $4.25 for adults, but kids are still $4. Will spend the IMAX prices for the big blockbusters

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:26 am

They just raised the matinee price at it our theater to 7.50. So for two tickets, then a drink each, it’s a 30 dollar date.

Nuge

Movie Thread

Postby Nuge » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:28 am

That's one of the perks of living in a small town. $5.50 per adult ticket. I have know idea how our theater stays in business. It also always gets movies the first weekend they're released.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:40 am

$11.75/adult and $10.75/child for a standard movie around here. IMAX adds another $8.25.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:58 am

It’s not the cost that keeps me away, it’s the experience.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:23 am

It’s not the cost that keeps me away, it’s the experience.
This guy, he knows.

We used ti do the matinee thing but the crowd it brought in didn't seem to care that they were in a movie. Constant talking and getting up and wandering around. Happened two straight times so we stopped going.

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:34 am

I’d suggest sitting as close as you can stand. Not having people in front or to your side helps, you can avoid noticing that anyone else is there.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Movie Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:39 am

Do they still have the discounted shows at the theater at Northway Mall? I remember my mom dragging me there when I was a kid to watch Little Mermaid with my sister and being the only ones there.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:40 am

For the most part, I've had good luck with the times that I go see a movie, so it's still the cost that's the issue for me. I don't really want to even go to the movies unless it's in IMAX, which makes it even worse. Standard movie at the theater? I'd rather watch it on my big screen at home.

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:44 am

I like the theater cause it forces you to watch. Otherwise home distractions invade.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:42 pm

I’d suggest sitting as close as you can stand. Not having people in front or to your side helps, you can avoid noticing that anyone else is there.
Avoid seeing other people vs straining your neck to look up at the screen? I’ll pass on both and wait til I can watch it at home. I only go see movies that I don’t want spoiled before home release.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:46 am

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Movie Thread

Postby LITT » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:48 am

Do they still have the discounted shows at the theater at Northway Mall? I remember my mom dragging me there when I was a kid to watch Little Mermaid with my sister and being the only ones there.
nice blast from the past. its been gone for at least 15 years

MrKennethTKangaroo

Movie Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:51 am

The 5af crew touched on this in the star wars thread re: Rogue One. I wonder what Scorsese would think of that movie because many many 5af people said it was refreshing due to the uncertainty

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:08 am

The 5af crew touched on this in the star wars thread re: Rogue One. I wonder what Scorsese would think of that movie because many many 5af people said it was refreshing due to the uncertainty
good question. From that article, I get the feeling that Scorsese hasn't really watched that many Marvel movies in regards to characters. I agree with his opinion a lot in that article. I wasn't a big Marvel movie guy until my kids starting getting into it and opened up an entirely new experience for me and while I generally agree with his comments about there being nothing at risk with these movies, I don't really have a problem with them being theme park rides. I think he hits the nail on the head when it comes to this:
They are sequels in name but they are remakes in spirit, and everything in them is officially sanctioned because it can’t really be any other way. That’s the nature of modern film franchises: market-researched, audience-tested, vetted, modified, revetted and remodified until they’re ready for consumption.

So, you might ask, what’s my problem? Why not just let superhero films and other franchise films be? The reason is simple. In many places around this country and around the world, franchise films are now your primary choice if you want to see something on the big screen. It’s a perilous time in film exhibition, and there are fewer independent theaters than ever. The equation has flipped and streaming has become the primary delivery system. Still, I don’t know a single filmmaker who doesn’t want to design films for the big screen, to be projected before audiences in theaters.
I can't find it right now, but I read an interesting article where it's saying streaming is now giving a lot of the independent film makers a louder voice in the game and in effect, a lot of the smaller independent movie theaters are thriving that get those releases.

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:34 am

Yeah streaming services allow Scorsese the creative freedom to offer an Italian mob movie featuring DeNiro, Pesci and Pacino. Way to stretch your wings Marty.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:38 am

Yeah streaming services allow Scorsese the creative freedom to offer an Italian mob movie featuring DeNiro, Pesci and Pacino. Way to stretch your wings Marty.
All the big studios passed on what is sounding like his next masterpiece

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:45 am

And the big franchise films generate revenue making smaller boutique productions possible. That and tax incentives. :lol:

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:59 am

Nobody "passed" on it. Paramount backed out after their financing agreement fell apart due to the budget continually increasing. Netflix outbid everyone else at $105MM and there was a bidding war for international distribution. All things considered, Netflix spent over $260MM for a movie that is going to have little positive impact on their bottom line.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:09 am

Nobody "passed" on it. Paramount backed out after their financing agreement fell apart due to the budget continually increasing. Netflix outbid everyone else at $105MM and there was a bidding war for international distribution. All things considered, Netflix spent over $260MM for a movie that is going to have little positive impact on their bottom line.
And that is what I like about Netflix and streaming. For the time being they are throwing money at directors allowing them do what they want. I want to watch good movies and not have to give a **** if it made a billion dollars at the box office.
Today, that tension is gone, and there are some in the business with absolute indifference to the very question of art and an attitude toward the history of cinema that is both dismissive and proprietary — a lethal combination. The situation, sadly, is that we now have two separate fields: There’s worldwide audiovisual entertainment, and there’s cinema. They still overlap from time to time, but that’s becoming increasingly rare. And I fear that the financial dominance of one is being used to marginalize and even belittle the existence of the other.

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:10 am

I will definitely see the Irishman in the theater.