Movie Thread

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:26 am

Seems like this might be the year a foreign film gets best picture.

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:30 am

I watched the lighthouse and phantom thread

Both were enjoyable specifically for tremendous acting. I was a little disappointed by phantom thread as i realized about halfway through that i wasn't likely to watch it multiple times like other PTA films. It was maybe too meticulously well done.

I think the lighthouse was better than expected but by the end i felt it had more potential.

I struggled with using subtitles or not eventually leaving them on. The dialogue was a literary blast but the performances were a shame to glance away from.

Has anyone seen waiting for the barbarians?
Was lighthouse funny? Even in an unintentional way?
More intentionally than unintentionally funny, IMO.

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:31 am

Seems like this might be the year a foreign film gets best picture.
This is definitely as good a chance as any for it. Still, there are many who think it having its own category is recognition enough.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:17 am

I got Joker on 4k the other day. Want to sit down and watch it, but feel I have to be in the mood to do so.

LeopardLetang

Movie Thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:34 am

Both were enjoyable specifically for tremendous acting. I was a little disappointed by phantom thread as i realized about halfway through that i wasn't likely to watch it multiple times like other PTA films. It was maybe too meticulously well done.

I think the lighthouse was better than expected but by the end i felt it had more potential.

I struggled with using subtitles or not eventually leaving them on. The dialogue was a literary blast but the performances were a shame to glance away from.

the dialogue could be seen as written funny but defoe delivered his retorts with such vigor that i'll give him the credit. the physical 'jokes' were intentional but not funny maybe. but certainly added a change in tone.

i like thinking about that movie and want to see it again. i think, eddy, you read Annihilation. so it does have that weird/horror aspect to it. but i don't think i liked how he handled that. i would have preferred a more straight up psychological movie or wish the metaphysical stuff played a bigger role - especially the lighthouse itself. it's like the movie isn't quite done. a great short film stretched out and you almost don't notice because you want more of both actors and the black and white is gorgeous.

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:21 am

the dialogue could be seen as written funny but defoe delivered his retorts with such vigor that i'll give him the credit. the physical 'jokes' were intentional but not funny maybe. but certainly added a change in tone.
Oh for sure, he elevated what was already there.
I guess it's not really a spoiler, but his epic monologue in response to Pattinson telling him he doesn't like his cooking is one of the most bizarrely funny things I've seen in a film in quite some time. And then after all that gravitas, Patz caps it with "w/e fine then, you're good at cooking." Just absolutely ridiculous.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:22 am

I got Joker on 4k the other day. Want to sit down and watch it, but feel I have to be in the mood to do so.
They did an incredible job with the 4k disc, reference quality.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:23 am

Didn't get a chance to see lighthouse, but I see it got a cinematography Oscar nom. Sounds right up my alley from what everyone is saying

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:27 am

Is the mood "wanting to watch an average movie that's just sort of 'there'"?

Sass aside, the fact that Phillips got a director nom for that is truly baffling. I thought the over-direction was one of it's biggest flaws.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:44 am

They did an incredible job with the 4k disc, reference quality.
I have like 50 4k discs and have only watched a handful of them. I need to watch more. I wanted to see Joker in the theaters, but just didn't get around to it. So looking forward to the 4k.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:45 am

Is the mood "wanting to watch an average movie that's just sort of 'there'"?

Sass aside, the fact that Phillips got a director nom for that is truly baffling. I thought the over-direction was one of it's biggest flaws.
Only going by what I've heard as far as being in the "mood" to watch it.

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:48 am

Oh for sure -- hey, I hope you enjoy it!

MR25

Movie Thread

Postby MR25 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:00 pm

I concur with meecro's assessment. Saw it in theaters. I don't know if it was just because things felt disjointed as part of the character development, but it was just kinda... there? I don't think I've ever felt that weird after seeing a movie in theaters. Generally I can form an opinion but it was just like "... ok?"

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:06 pm

Yeah, I was pretty uncomfortable watching Joker. Weird thing is I actually got more comfortable with the movie when he became Joker.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:08 pm

I enjoy movies sometimes that make you uncomfortable, but I have to be in a mood to watch something like that. I know it's probably a film I will watch once and never again, but I'm ok with that.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:14 pm

I enjoy movies sometimes that make you uncomfortable, but I have to be in a mood to watch something like that. I know it's probably a film I will watch once and never again, but I'm ok with that.
This. No desire to see it again, although if done right, I'd like to see this Joker with a good version of batman go against each other.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:22 pm

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:09 pm

The only good part of that trailer was seeing Michael Keaton.

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:20 pm

This. No desire to see it again, although if done right, I'd like to see this Joker with a good version of batman go against each other.
Echoing the mediocrity of Joker. It’s like The Revenant in terms of, okay yeah I saw it... I’ll never watch it again but it was okay and worth seeing once I guess.

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:23 pm

I watched the Irishman a second time right away.

I would watch once upon a time in Hollywood again, I’m not sure I’m ready to see parasite again yet, but I know I will sometime.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:44 am

watched JoJo Rabbit. What a ridiculously funny and heartbreaking anti-war movie. I thought it was fantastic.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:33 am

Echoing the mediocrity of Joker. It’s like The Revenant in terms of, okay yeah I saw it... I’ll never watch it again but it was okay and worth seeing once I guess.
I thought it was a good movie, just one I don't care to watch again. Please don't get me started on The Revenant. That book was so good and they did that, ARRRGGGGGGG

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:44 am

Watched American Factory yesterday, about the closing of a Toledo GM plant that was turned into a Chinese automotive glass factory. Interesting stuff, believe it or not. It's Oscar nominated, and on Netflix.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:50 am

Watched American Factory yesterday, about the closing of a Toledo GM plant that was turned into a Chinese automotive glass factory. Interesting stuff, believe it or not. It's Oscar nominated, and on Netflix.
:thumb: I really enjoyed this. Very interesting stuff.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:38 am

Only semi-related: I was in Flint Michigan a few months back interviewing automotive engineering students. I mentioned that the only thing I knew about Flint was from Michael Moore and Roger & Me. They had no idea what Roger & Me was and had no clue about any GM factory closing. In fact, they seemed to take offense that I would say a GM factory closed up the local shop and moved to Mexico. I finally said "maybe I'm not remembering the film correctly" just so I could end the conversation. I'm definitely going to check out American Factory.