Movie Thread

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:44 am

Source of the post
Hereditary (2018): Holy ****. This movie **** me up. My fiancé made me check every room in the house afterwards to make sure we were alone.
I haven't watched any trailers or know anything about this movie. I've heard it's good. I see it's on prime and I've been wanting to watch it and have purposely been kept in the dark, but haven't been able to get the wife to come around yet. I'm not even sure how to ask this without spoilers, but is there a general premise you could give me without giving anything away? Trying to find a way to get her to watch it without ruining it for myself but I have no idea how to tell her it will be fine, haha
Man that's tough. We watched the trailer beforehand and honestly I wish I hadn't seen that. It doesn't give away the plot at all, but it does give away some pretty important moments early on. I've typed out a few brief premises and have deleted them because I worry that I'm giving too much away. It's about a family dealing with the death of their grandmother. That's incredibly vague, right?
thanks, I think the concern was if it dealt with the death of kids, that's a tough watch for us, but her grandfather just passed away a few days ago too, so this may not be the best viewing right now. Maybe we'll just jump to Midsommar.
Yeah don't watch Hereditary.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:44 am

I have to watch this movie now and I think I can sell her on psychological horror

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:45 am

I have to watch this movie now and I think I can sell her on psychological horror
Honestly, I would wait.

genoscoif

Movie Thread

Postby genoscoif » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:45 am

Source of the post
Hereditary (2018): Holy ****. This movie **** me up. My fiancé made me check every room in the house afterwards to make sure we were alone.
I haven't watched any trailers or know anything about this movie. I've heard it's good. I see it's on prime and I've been wanting to watch it and have purposely been kept in the dark, but haven't been able to get the wife to come around yet. I'm not even sure how to ask this without spoilers, but is there a general premise you could give me without giving anything away? Trying to find a way to get her to watch it without ruining it for myself but I have no idea how to tell her it will be fine, haha
Man that's tough. We watched the trailer beforehand and honestly I wish I hadn't seen that. It doesn't give away the plot at all, but it does give away some pretty important moments early on. I've typed out a few brief premises and have deleted them because I worry that I'm giving too much away. It's about a family dealing with the death of their grandmother. That's incredibly vague, right?
thanks, I think the concern was if it dealt with the death of kids, that's a tough watch for us, but her grandfather just passed away a few days ago too, so this may not be the best viewing right now. Maybe we'll just jump to Midsommar.
Yeah don't watch Hereditary.
Um...yeah. Midsommar sounds good.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:46 am

haha, OK.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:50 am

Because of the first Final Destination, when I see a character cross a street or parking lot in a film or TV show, I always anticipate them getting hit by a bus or car. Is that weird?

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:51 am

If you guys haven't seen The Endless yet, it's streaming on Netflix and I really dug it, good putting everything together movie.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:52 am

Because of the first Final Destination, when I see a character cross a street or parking lot in a film or TV show, I always anticipate them getting hit by a bus or car. Is that weird?
not at all. I'm the same way in real life with logging trucks because of The Descent

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:54 am

not at all. I'm the same way in real life with logging trucks because of The Descent
And also Final Destination 2.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:00 am

And also Final Destination 2.
Yeah maybe that's what I was thinking of, descent was metal poles I think

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:35 am

Oh, man, forgot that about The Descent.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:43 am

I am not a fan of the horror genre, broadly. But I remember seeing Final Destination, and the scene with the chaperone/teacher lady in the kitchen was just absolutely funny/terrifying/bonkers. If that scene had been anything other than......... let's call it 'all in'..... on the gag, it wouldn't have been nearly as great of a payoff. I mean, the conceit of the film is already kinda silly, so you really need to double down on a gag like that. And boy howdy......... :lol:

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:15 pm

I had never heard of Steven Soderbergh's newest film The Laundromat, based on a book about the Panama Papers. It's on Netflix of all places, and it has a ridiculous cast - Meryl Streep, Gary Oldman, Antonio Banderas, Jeffrey Wright, the dude that Khaleesi locked in a vault, and a host of other familiar faces. It has a real Big Shortesque vibe, where certain characters speak directly to the camera and explain things to the viewers.

Evidently, the law firm depicted tried to block the film's release on Netflix a couple of weeks ago, but it didn't work.

It's not bad, but probably would've worked better as a limited series. Lots of disjointed stories that could've used fleshing out.

IMdB has a lower viewer rating (bots?), but metacritic is a little better. Worth checking out.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:28 pm

Source of the post Steven Soderbergh's newest film The Laundromat,
I thought the preview on Netflix looked great. Saw the poor reviews online, but look forward to it regardless.

Gaucho

Movie Thread

Postby Gaucho » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:27 pm

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:56 pm

Honestly, I would wait.
Hard pass for me. I don't mind the unrealistic horror stuff (Aliens, Nightmare on Elm Street, Poltergeist, etc). The psychological horror stuff that hits too close to home I'm not a fan of.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:45 am

Source of the post I love Murder Party. It and Blue Ruin are still my favorite Saulnier films. If you watch MP let me know what you think. Apparently it's rather divisive.
I watched Murder Party last night. Well, that was something. I thought it was pretty great. I laughed a lot, I mean, how couldn't you when dealing with a bunch of pretentious art students in that situation. The 1hr20min run time is perfect for movies like this, I wish we got that more. Thanks for the recommendation!

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:10 am

I'm guessing if I enjoyed the first John Wick and have not seen the others, that blind buying the trilogy on 4k was a smart move?

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:15 am

Yeah, if you liked the first, the other two are just as good or better.

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:00 am

I watched Murder Party last night. Well, that was something. I thought it was pretty great. I laughed a lot, I mean, how couldn't you when dealing with a bunch of pretentious art students in that situation. The 1hr20min run time is perfect for movies like this, I wish we got that more. Thanks for the recommendation!
I'm glad you liked it. It's one of my favorites but lots of people just don't get it. I thought it might be up your alley though.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:15 am

I'm glad you liked it. It's one of my favorites but lots of people just don't get it. I thought it might be up your alley though.
:fist: Usually when the wife says 20 minutes into a movie "I hate it", I know I'll probably like it! Although, she did laugh pretty good when he came out of the closet and just threw his stuff about 2 feet and ran past everyone. I'll be honest, I had no idea where the movie was going at first, when he was in that little room with nowhere to go, I thought he was going to come out turned into some weaponized knight built with all the stuff in there.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:40 am

Dolemite is my name is out on netflix today

Gaucho

Movie Thread

Postby Gaucho » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:21 pm

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:31 pm

Such a weird looking dude.

Gaucho

Movie Thread

Postby Gaucho » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:42 pm

The expression jolie laide was new to me.