Movie Thread

robbiestoupe

Movie Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:13 pm

Hot (possibly bad) take: Hamilton was a great show, but Lin-Manuel's acting wasn't on par with the other actors. If you were to MIB mind swipe and see him as you see all the other no-name actors in the play, you'd be asking why he was the lead.

I get it, he's a freaking genius writing/directing/songwriting the whole thing, but that's why he's Hamilton - because he's the boss. Yes, he's acted in other roles other than his own, but I still wouldn't cast him as a lead without the name recognition.

CBear3

Movie Thread

Postby CBear3 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:14 pm

CoSigned, and that's not a bad thing.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Movie Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:15 pm

pretty sure that was discussed in this thread like 2 pages ago KEEP UP TOUPE

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:16 pm

Labyrinth is a weekly watch in my house. It's definitely NOT a musical.

For fans of the movie, have you heard the theory that Jareth has been taking Sarahs for a long time trying to find his lost love. That's why when she tells Hoggle her name is Sarah he says "of course you are."
That's pretty cool, I like it. Also hoggle is my specialty when it comes to attempting a voice. It's probably terrible, but kids love it. Thems my rightful property, it's not fair.

I'm very curious about the sequel. I feel like it's in good hands, but how they address Jareth is a concern (unless they have Tilda Swinton play him as if nothing has changed).
My vote is for Lady Gaga

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:52 pm

Hot (possibly bad) take: Hamilton was a great show, but Lin-Manuel's acting wasn't on par with the other actors. If you were to MIB mind swipe and see him as you see all the other no-name actors in the play, you'd be asking why he was the lead.

I get it, he's a freaking genius writing/directing/songwriting the whole thing, but that's why he's Hamilton - because he's the boss. Yes, he's acted in other roles other than his own, but I still wouldn't cast him as a lead without the name recognition.
I don't disagree with this at all. It's actually kinda funny that the mad scientist/genius behind it all on the creative front is the clear weakest link on the performance front. Although I would disagree that it's his acting that's behind everyone else so much as it is his voice; if you notice, A. Ham doesn't have a lot of singing duets with other characters. There's Dear Theodosia and..........? which is a super basic melody, and it's Leslie Odom that does the harmonizing.

If he had to audition for the role, he wouldn't get a call back. That's why he writes his shows - he knows he'll get the gig. lol

That said, on the other end of the spectrum I'm desperately hoping there's a video out there of Christopher Jackson in his G Dub wardrobe singing "consider the coconut/consider its treeeeee".

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:55 pm

I'd agree with that. On a related note, I'm listening to You'll Be Back right now, and it's still amazing.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:59 pm

Also, to underscore that point..... Leslie Odom beat LMM to the Tony award for Best Lead Actor-Musical, and I'm 100% convinced that's because Carnegie-Mellon's finest has a way better singing voice.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:48 pm

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:52 pm

Psssh, that's not even the hat he wears in the first JP. Pretty sure that one was straw

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:55 pm

JP is playing at my drive in this weekend, that would be pretty cool to see

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:59 am

Mulan getting released September 4th on Disney+. $29.99 to “rent” in perpetuity until the movie is available for free on Disney+.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:18 am

Watched hunt for wilderpeople which causes many tears of laughter and sadness. Also watched the documentary Spaceship Earth which was pretty fascinating. I don't really remember much from biosphere 2 except for bio dome came from it, so that was a plus. The before story here is actually pretty amazing in what they did. It's on Hulu now.

robbiestoupe

Movie Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:50 am

I don't disagree with this at all. It's actually kinda funny that the mad scientist/genius behind it all on the creative front is the clear weakest link on the performance front. Although I would disagree that it's his acting that's behind everyone else so much as it is his voice; if you notice, A. Ham doesn't have a lot of singing duets with other characters. There's Dear Theodosia and..........? which is a super basic melody, and it's Leslie Odom that does the harmonizing.

If he had to audition for the role, he wouldn't get a call back. That's why he writes his shows - he knows he'll get the gig. lol

That said, on the other end of the spectrum I'm desperately hoping there's a video out there of Christopher Jackson in his G Dub wardrobe singing "consider the coconut/consider its treeeeee".
Yes, I agree. I remember thinking at the end of the show that Lin-Man wasn't the right person for the lead. After re-listening to the soundtrack, it was his singing, not his acting that was off.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:09 pm

Yes, I agree. I remember thinking at the end of the show that Lin-Man wasn't the right person for the lead. After re-listening to the soundtrack, it was his singing, not his acting that was off.
I don't disagree with a lot of this, but at the same time, I also think he's perfect for the role he plays. While he may not be the "best" out there, I can't see or hear it with someone else.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:25 pm

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:46 pm

Speaking of, this is from September, but it just popped up on my radar a couple days ago.

Wonderful

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:52 pm

Haha, that is wonderful

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:40 pm

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:47 pm

Speaking of, this is from September, but it just popped up on my radar a couple days ago.

Wonderful
Wasn’t this the plot of The Thing?

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:31 pm

Yes, that's the joke. ;)

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Movie Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:07 pm

Watching Edge of Tomorrow on SyFy and I am very much enjoying this.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:20 pm

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:29 am

Watched the Russell Crowe Robin Hood last night. Apparently it was the directors cut. I realize I like this movie more than most (anybody), and I still think it's fun, but it has been a decade since I last saw it and I thought there was more back and forth with him and Cate Blanchett. Still enjoyed it, but maybe not as much as I thought I did. Going through any movies with bow and arrows as the children got bows for the backyard because they are obsessed with Legolas and I've watched LOTR approximately once a week since quarantine.

Gaucho

Movie Thread

Postby Gaucho » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:39 am

This looks promising.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:15 pm

No one watched The Platform on Netflix? Heavy handed lesson on class inequality, but the wife and I really liked it. I enjoy psychological thrillers like Exam, Circle, and The Killing Room. This scratched that itch.

A platform of food passes through levels of a prison until it is all gone, leaving those on the bottom to starve. Hilarity ensues.