Movie Thread

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:36 pm

It’s one of the movies I intend to watch with my daughter once I think she won’t be scared of it. Which is probably still a year or so away, lol.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:41 pm

Just got home from GBFE. Really enjoyed it. One of my favorite parts was my own personal realization/joke, borne from my appreciation for Ghosts:
When Melody finishes her arc and starts to fade away I almost said out loud "Yay! Melody is getting sucked off!"
I do agree that the extra characters can go. No real reason that Podcast or Lucky needed to be here.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:57 pm

With Masters of the Air wrapping up a few weeks ago, I'd heard a couple of people mention The Best Years of our Lives as a good follow on or companion piece. I wasn't aware of it, honestly, but it was definitely worth the watch.

It answers the question of what happens to soldiers/sailors/marines after the war ends and they get home. Although it's got the 1940s hokiness - it was filmed in late 1945 early '46 - it had a lot going on and much to contemplate after I'd finished watching it. One of the stars - Harold Russell - lost both of his hands in a training accident (he was a paratrooper) and the director William Wyler incorporated his real life struggles in the film. To date, Russell is the only actor to win two Oscars for the same part - he was given an honorary Oscar for his service as the Academy felt he had no shot winning Best Supporting Actor. But he won that too. :lol: Dana Andrews and Frederic March play the other two soldiers/airman who come home from war and find adjusting difficult.

LeopardLetang

Movie Thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:37 pm

Russell wasn't even an actor correct? It's a good movie

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:45 pm

Yeah, he was in a Department of War propaganda film about his injuries. Wyler found him there.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:53 pm

Took the day off and went to Falling Waters with the wife. Got back into town around 2 and we decided to go to keep the party going and go see Ghostbusters. It was pretty okay. Overall, I had a good time though I think I prefer Afterlife. As others said, the new characters fall pretty flat. And because of the absolutely bloated cast, a lot of characters have basically nothing to do. You could completely remove them from the film and the story could still progress as is. The biggest issue imo wasn’t the new characters, however. It was the pacing. After the opening scene and the re- introduction of the “new” GB team, the story slows to a halt. By the time the story finally kicks back up, we’re already into the climax and it’s over in about 10 minutes. When there is action, the movie is a lot of fun. I still like the Afterlife characters a lot and I wish they were trusted to carry the film. Well, except maybe Podcast…
There is some stuff with Phoebe
and a female ghost that some people I guarantee will latch onto as being woke and say they were trying to work in some sort of lesbian thing when it really wasn't even alluded to at all. It was used as a plot device for the final villain and it was really speaking to more of a her looking for a friend from the first movie, but others will see it as something it's not.
Ha that’s funny. IMO, that’s the ONLY way to read this relationship. I mean they
just about kiss before Melody reveals the betrayal. Not only was it alluded to, I found it pretty overt. Sure you could say they’re just really good pals but, come on.
Overall, I had a good time and that’s all I could ask for with a modern Ghostbusters movie. It could’ve been better and maybe they’ll get there eventually but in order to do so, it’s time to leave the OG crew and callbacks behind and trust the new Spengler team carry the franchise.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:04 pm

Oh, there was a family in front of us with a young girl. She couldn’t have been older than 4 or 5. They didn’t make it 15 minutes before she was too scared and they had to leave.

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:05 pm

Wife and I have agreed that Honey I Shrunk the Kids is next up for movie night.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:15 pm

Took the day off and went to Falling Waters with the wife. Got back into town around 2 and we decided to go to keep the party going and go see Ghostbusters. It was pretty okay. Overall, I had a good time though I think I prefer Afterlife. As others said, the new characters fall pretty flat. And because of the absolutely bloated cast, a lot of characters have basically nothing to do. You could completely remove them from the film and the story could still progress as is. The biggest issue imo wasn’t the new characters, however. It was the pacing. After the opening scene and the re- introduction of the “new” GB team, the story slows to a halt. By the time the story finally kicks back up, we’re already into the climax and it’s over in about 10 minutes. When there is action, the movie is a lot of fun. I still like the Afterlife characters a lot and I wish they were trusted to carry the film. Well, except maybe Podcast…
and a female ghost that some people I guarantee will latch onto as being woke and say they were trying to work in some sort of lesbian thing when it really wasn't even alluded to at all. It was used as a plot device for the final villain and it was really speaking to more of a her looking for a friend from the first movie, but others will see it as something it's not.
Ha that’s funny. IMO, that’s the ONLY way to read this relationship. I mean they
just about kiss before Melody reveals the betrayal. Not only was it alluded to, I found it pretty overt. Sure you could say they’re just really good pals but, come on.
Overall, I had a good time and that’s all I could ask for with a modern Ghostbusters movie. It could’ve been better and maybe they’ll get there eventually but in order to do so, it’s time to leave the OG crew and callbacks behind and trust the new Spengler team carry the franchise.
I dunno. I just didn't read the relationship that way. It was alluded to, but I didn't think it was overly obvious. Not that there is anything wrong with it either way. Maybe cause I had afterlife fresh in my mind and it was heavily about Phoebe just trying to find a friend. That friend just happened to be a female ghost that she may or may not have also been attracted to. I just thought it was left open to interpretation either way.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:22 pm

My daughter has been reluctant to want to watch this, despite us telling her that she’d love it. May just trick her and do it anyway.

This Saturday’s movie night will feature Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. Can’t **** wait.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:25 pm

I dunno. I just didn't read the relationship that way. It was alluded to, but I didn't think it was overly obvious. Not that there is anything wrong with it either way. Maybe cause I had afterlife fresh in my mind and it was heavily about Phoebe just trying to find a friend. That friend just happened to be a female ghost that she may or may not have also been attracted to. I just thought it was left open to interpretation either way.
I wouldn’t be surprised if a decent portion of the relationship was cut to allow for interpretation. It didn’t even occur to me to interpret it any other way than a first teenage love attraction. Phoebe risks her life going into that ghost machine thing just so they could be on the same dimensional plane just for 2 minutes… that’s not something you do for a pal. They could keep their friendship on two different planes just fine. Plus they approach each other with the look of two people going in for a first kiss. They’re practically breathing in each other’s ghost mouth when Melody betrays her. It did feel like we were missing an important scene in their relationship and my guess it is was cut to try to avoid any backlash or so they could release the film in China.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:35 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised if a decent portion of the relationship was cut to allow for interpretation. It didn’t even occur to me to interpret it any other way than a first teenage love attraction. Phoebe risks her life going into that ghost machine thing just so they could be on the same dimensional plane just for 2 minutes… that’s not something you do for a pal. They could keep their friendship on two different planes just fine. Plus they approach each other with the look of two people going in for a first kiss. They’re practically breathing in each other’s ghost mouth when Melody betrays her. It did feel like we were missing an important scene in their relationship and my guess it is was cut to try to avoid any backlash or so they could release the film in China.
Fair points and probably true on stuff getting cut out.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:20 pm

I agree with nocera.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:27 pm

My daughter has been reluctant to want to watch this, despite us telling her that she’d love it. May just trick her and do it anyway.

This Saturday’s movie night will feature Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. Can’t **** wait.
I watched Ace again over the weekend, it's just non stop laughter every time we watch.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Movie Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm

If I’m not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:39 pm

The dinner party scene is one of cinemas greatest treasures

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:06 am

I'm going to see Godzilla x Kong next week, but as of right now, the only IMAX showings are at 7pm. I'm going to give it one more day to see if things change, but I have a feeling that a longer Dune run is causing this. If that's the case, I'll see it in Regal's RDX since I have never done that before.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 pm

Noted breakfast enthusiast Jerry Seinfeld has a new movie coming out:

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

Seinfeld working with McCarthy and Schumer? Is he broke?

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

I really dislike Seinfeld in everything except Seinfeld. I watched all of the Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee and he just comes off as such a smug dadhole. Plus there was that whole 38 year old dating a high school student thing.

Even apart from all of that stuff, that movie looks like dog ****.

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

I really dislike Seinfeld in everything except Seinfeld. I watched all of the Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee and he just comes off as such a smug dadhole. Plus there was that whole 38 year old dating a high school student thing.

Even apart from all of that stuff, that movie looks like dog ****.
Yeah, I think I've said it here before...he got to a point where it feels like he feels that he invented comedy and he's the judge of what's funny and not funny. And like, I get that to an extent...but he takes it to a little bit of an uncomfortable level for me.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:39 am

As if Seinfeld wasn't a smug dadhole on the sitcom.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:03 am

As if Seinfeld wasn't a smug dadhole on the sitcom.
I’m in the middle of a rewatch at the moment and he’s really not for the most part. He is a bit smug in the later seasons, which not so coincidentally happens when LD leaves and the quality significantly dips.

Nuge

Movie Thread

Postby Nuge » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:25 am

1. Seinfeld was always a poor actor, sitcom included.
2. That movie looks bad.
3. The Kellogg story is actually pretty interesting. I recommend watching The Foods That Built America.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:29 am

The quality definitely dipped with LD's departure but I appreciate the absurdity of those last two seasons