Movie Thread

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 02, 2024 5:20 pm

You just put your lips together and blow.

Gaucho

Movie Thread

Postby Gaucho » Thu May 02, 2024 5:24 pm

I knew I could count on you. =)

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 03, 2024 6:52 am

My goodness

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 03, 2024 8:42 am

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Fri May 03, 2024 8:44 am

Is this a Black Swan situation?

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri May 03, 2024 8:58 am

Sydney Sweeney, Queen of the Butterfaces

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Fri May 03, 2024 9:02 am

Madelyn Cline says hello.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri May 03, 2024 9:03 am

Oscar bait, but I'll watch it.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Fri May 03, 2024 10:22 am

To the surprise of no one:

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri May 03, 2024 10:39 am

I like how Seinfeld of all people was the one to make those “wokeness killed comedies” movies. I’m not even gonna debate the merits of the statement but more point out that I don’t think Seinfeld has ever made a funny movie, ever. Even before “political correctness” took off

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri May 03, 2024 10:42 am

I like how Seinfeld of all people was the one to make those “wokeness killed comedies” movies. I’m not even gonna debate the merits of the statement but more point out that I don’t think Seinfeld has ever made a funny movie, ever. Even before “political correctness” took off
He made a movie where a bee bangs a human woman.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri May 03, 2024 12:23 pm

He made a movie where a bee bangs a human woman.
What was the age gap? How long do bees live for?

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 03, 2024 2:18 pm

My goodness

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 03, 2024 3:15 pm

This has been a terrific Friday, and shaf should be applauded.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 03, 2024 4:58 pm

This has been a terrific Friday, and shaf should be applauded.
8-)

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 03, 2024 6:12 pm

Wait wait wait............................... Ron Howard is directing this Eden movie, and it wrapped filming in February?

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat May 04, 2024 1:19 am

Unfrosted isn't going to win any awards, but it's certainly isn't "one of the decades worst movies". Felt like an oversized SNL skit. More weird than funny and playing on a TON of surprising cameos for humor, but it wasn't unenjoyable. 5/10

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Sun May 05, 2024 12:08 am

Wait wait wait............................... Ron Howard is directing this Eden movie, and it wrapped filming in February?
I thought it was shooting in November?

Also Vanessa Kirby added in.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sun May 05, 2024 12:22 pm

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun May 05, 2024 8:51 pm

Unfrosted isn't going to win any awards, but it's certainly isn't "one of the decades worst movies". Felt like an oversized SNL skit. More weird than funny and playing on a TON of surprising cameos for humor, but it wasn't unenjoyable. 5/10
Yeah, this wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I laughed, great cameos, and they did a funny thing with the mascots
The mascots, when they marched on Kellogg's, were dressed as and used January 6 rioters quotes from various video that day. :shock:

genoscoif

Movie Thread

Postby genoscoif » Mon May 06, 2024 11:15 am

Ghostbusters Afterlife had a lot of fun stuff. It also had a lot of eye rolling stuff but luckily the fun outweighed the bad for me. I have some issues and maybe I'll get into those if anybody else has seen it but overall I had a good time watching it. It's infinitely better than 2016's version and surprisingly emotional.
I saw it in theaters and will pick up the 4k once it's out. I know it's out on digital today and I may buy it just to watch it again sooner than later (the amount of $$$ I've pumped into the franchise is scary honestly).

I agree there was some eye rolling things, but it worked on just about every level for me. It was alot of nostalgia no doubt, but I think that is what I wanted. Agree that Mckenna Grace was fantastic.

I'd be interested in a more detailed discussion though because why not haha.
YES. I'll pick up a physical copy once its released but today I sailed the high seas since there are finally good versions available. Ghostbusters is my favorite movie of all time so I was hesitant going in. Massive spoilers below.
Let's start with the issues I had:
- Blatant call backs with no real purpose such as "who you gonna call?" or the twinkie in the glove box. If you're going to hit me with nostalgia (which this movie is not afraid of at all) at least make it move the plot forward. For example, Phoebe using the old Ghostbusters commercial to contact Ray. That was a brilliant use of nostalgia/call back.

- The mini Stay Pufts. God damnit. Stay Puft only exists in the first film because Ray specifically tried to think of the most harmless random thing he could when Gozer told them to choose their destroyer. That entire sequence in Wal-Mart made very little sense. It's like Reitman or the studio thought they needed to sell little plush Stay Puft toys and thought they could make them this film's Porgs. Cut that sequence, have Grooberson get attacked somewhere else, and you improve the film immediately.

- This is technically a sequel to Ghostbusters 2 (they didn't Halloween this timeline) but there's basically no mention of 2 at all. Even the car is Ecto-1 not 1A. Would've been nice to see some shots of 2 when Phoebe was doing her research at least.

- The kid's are a bit too young. Again, McKenna Grace was very good so this isn't a knock on her performance at all but it seemed that her character was too smart, too calm, and too strong for somebody of her age. Same with Podcast, a character I assumed I would hate and ended up liking quite a bit. This is a nitpick for sure and I wouldn't sacrifice Grace just to get an older actor in the role but it did take me out of it a few times.

- Going along with the age of the kids, I'm not sure the film knows its target audience. Or more likely, they attempted to target two audiences: today's kids and adults who loved Ghostbusters when they were kids. The end sequence hit hard for me but I'm not so sure a kid would have the same reaction. Likewise the Stay Puft sequence felt like it was aimed at really young kids and I can't see adults enjoying it even ignoring my main beef.

Now the good stuff:

- This movie has legit laughs. Like it's actually funny in a way that 2016, despite being more of a traditional comedy, never was. It's not original films funny but that's to be expected. I also liked that it's not a straight up comedy. At its heart, this movie is a family drama with comedic elements.

- Can't say it enough, McKenna Grace is fantastic. I bought her being a Spangler immediately. I will watch her career with great interest.

- I didn't mind Finn Wolfhard at all. He was perfect in his role.

- The atmosphere of the town was spot on. It looked great, the townspeople were great, Shandor Mining, all of it. Great stuff.

- The effects were also very well done. It reminded me of what Ghostbusters 84 would be with today's CGI. It used today's technology but still felt very much in that same universe. Practical effects help. The terror dogs looked awesome.

- I really like the tone. Reitman didn't try to completely recreate the tone of the original film(s) and this movie is better for it. It's like a mixture of early Spielberg and Ghostbusters. It's a "kids on bikes" movie and I dug that a lot.

- Oh hey, Olivia Wilde was Gozer. Neat.

- The end sequence absolutely wrecked me. I was not expecting to be that emotional. I went in completely spoiler free as well so I didn't see Ghost Egon coming at all. Had I read about it beforehand, I would've expected it to be cheesy and exploitive. But they nailed it. The effects were well done, so much so that I had to remind myself that Ramis died before this was even written. I didn't get any Grand Moff Tarkin vibes from this at all. I was a blubbering mess and I'm glad I watched it alone.

You know, writing this all out I'm realizing I liked it more than I thought. I'm going to rewatch 1 and 2 then revisit Afterlife again.
Good stuff. I agree with most of it.

I was saying to myself, well this is almost over and here comes the Ghostbusters to save the day and sure enough they did. It was a ridiculous setup that they just showed up like that. I'm pretty sure I said out loud WTF, but like 20 seconds later, I didn't care. I don't know if that's a cheap shot at the audience, but again I ended up not caring how they did it, because by the time it was over, it worked out for me. I felt it.
My wife and I just watched Afterlife for the first time yesterday. We both really, really enjoyed it. You guys had very similar takeaways way back in the day, which was kinda funny to read this morning. Definitely some unnecessary cheese along with some 'lazy' choices, but...
IMO it really captured the feel/vibe/tone that I wanted. A bit silly, a bit creepy, a full on nostalgic storyline. The mini Stay Puffed were obnoxious and completely unnecessary, though seeing Podcast covered in fluff almost identical to Ray from the original was a nice touch. The sudden appearance of the OGs, while completely predictable, was poorly executed. Would've been much cooler for it to just start with Ray, then Winston walks into frame, then Pete. I agree with I think nocera that some of the call backs were over-the-top heavy handed, but I still mostly enjoyed them.

Overall, though, it was just an enjoyable 2 hours. Lots of smiles and laughs, and the end was a perfect tribute to Ramis. It could've come off as completely cheesy, but somehow managed to maintain that gravity and seriousness even through the CGI. McKenna Grace absolutely nailed mini-Egon, and looking forward to Frozen Empire mainly because of her.

Evidently Ernie Hudson and Paul Rudd are vampires.

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Mon May 06, 2024 12:02 pm

Watched this last night. I thought it was decent. Nothing earth-shattering, but competent and good for a couple laughs. 5 or 6 out of 10 is about right...

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon May 06, 2024 2:57 pm

This is a hilarious first image from the set of the new Superman. Gunn says everything was captured in camera so I suppose the invasion happening in the background that Superman is casually ignoring so he can slip on his boots is on the Volume or something similar.

The suit is definitely chunkier than anything we've seen on screen before. There's a glimpse of the red trunks so the weirdos who care about that sort of thing are rejoicing. I don't think I've ever considered that Superman has to put his costume on. Shouldn't he just go into a phone booth and spin around real fast? He looks like Mr. Rogers putting on his shoes and singing "It's such a good feeling to know you're alive" meanwhile Metropolis burns in the background.

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Mon May 06, 2024 3:00 pm

Weird, I totally thought that was AI generated.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon May 06, 2024 3:04 pm

Weird first picture for sure. These suits usually look like **** in still shots. It's impressive how poorly they usually fit and then how unnoticeable it is when filmed.