Movie Thread

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:17 pm

The Pitch Meeting for F2 was pretty funny.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:18 am

Watched the Denis Villeneuve movie Enemy over the weekend. That was weird and intense and I very much enjoyed it. Sticking with the intense and awesome theme, also watched John Wick 2. Great movie!

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:57 am

Came out of parasite last night thinking that I’ve never seen anything like it. I thought it was quite an illustration of what happens to people when they feel like they have nothing to lose.
Just caught this, assuming it'll be the last week it'll be in theaters. Wasn't truly blown away by it, but still thought it was really good, def the best movie I've seen this year (though admittedly I haven't gotten out much until recently). The tension that's established fairly early on persists throughout the entire rest of the run-time, which is pretty remarkable.

Let's do some ratings of some recent viewings:

Parasite - B+
Jojo Rabbit - B
The Lighthouse - B-
Last Christmas - B-
Joker - C

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:15 am

Came out of parasite last night thinking that I’ve never seen anything like it. I thought it was quite an illustration of what happens to people when they feel like they have nothing to lose.
Just caught this, assuming it'll be the last week it'll be in theaters. Wasn't truly blown away by it, but still thought it was really good, def the best movie I've seen this year (though admittedly I haven't gotten out much until recently). The tension that's established fairly early on persists throughout the entire rest of the run-time, which is pretty remarkable.

Parasite - B+
Jojo Rabbit - B
The Lighthouse - B-
Last Christmas - B-
Joker - C
I am looking forward to Jojo Rabbit, I'll see the Joker when it comes to TV, but I don't think I've any interest in the other two.

I thought the Farewell was really interesting, a better look at Chinese culture, than say...Crazy Rich Asians.

The Irishman was easily the best movie I've seen this year. Aside from Deniro being too old to play Sheeran in his 30's and 40's, I can't think of anything else even slightly negative to say about it. Deniro was Deniro, but Pacino and Peschi were so damn good every time they were in a scene.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:39 am

I think The Irishman is out today on Netflix. Do I want to watch it piecemeal now or wait until Thanksgiving break to watch it in one sitting?

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:44 am

You can do it piecemeal for sure, and honestly, the last say 30-40 minutes are a little excessive.

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:45 am

Parasite - B+
Jojo Rabbit - B
The Lighthouse - B-
Last Christmas - B-
Joker - C
The more I reflect on Joker the more I agree with the average rating. It was interesting but not in an “I want more” or even that I would want to watch it again sort of way. It was interesting but I doubt it’s anywhere close to as highly touted if it’s not about The Joker. Yet they’re making another one, I probably won’t see it.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:47 am

The reports of a sequel were apparently erroneous and there is nothing currently planned.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:45 am

Finished phase 1 of the MCU. Iron Man 2 is easily the worst of the bunch. I remember the first Avengers movie being way more epic, but now that we've had Infinity War and End Game, it feels small in comparison. Still great, though.

On to phase 2. I've never seen Iron Man 3 due to the poor reviews so I'm looking forward to that one. Same with Thor 2.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:50 am

Source of the post On to phase 2. I've never seen Iron Man 3 due to the poor reviews so I'm looking forward to that one. Same with Thor 2.
I liked both of these quite a bit

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:52 am

For some reason, I missed a lot of Phase 2. I just realized I didn't even see Age of Ultron.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:53 am

I've only seen bits and pieces of Thor 2.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:57 am

Thor 2 sucks, but Iron Man 3 is very good, especially if you're a fan of Shane Black.

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:55 am

I am looking forward to Jojo Rabbit, I'll see the Joker when it comes to TV, but I don't think I've any interest in the other two.

I thought the Farewell was really interesting, a better look at Chinese culture, than say...Crazy Rich Asians.

The Irishman was easily the best movie I've seen this year. Aside from Deniro being too old to play Sheeran in his 30's and 40's, I can't think of anything else even slightly negative to say about it. Deniro was Deniro, but Pacino and Peschi were so damn good every time they were in a scene.
Jojo is good, though it's relatively safe/tame considering its premise. Not necessarily a knock, but worth nothing. It's definitely elevated by strong performances across the board, especially the lead kids.

Do want to see The Farewell, though I think I categorized that as a "perfectly fine to wait for home video" type of flick, so will probably be getting to that sometime during the winter doldrums.

Irishman I'm definitely going to try to make an effort to find a theater time for it, though that's probably unlikely due to the limited run, unfortunately,
The more I reflect on Joker the more I agree with the average rating. It was interesting but not in an “I want more” or even that I would want to watch it again sort of way. It was interesting but I doubt it’s anywhere close to as highly touted if it’s not about The Joker. Yet they’re making another one, I probably won’t see it.
Funnily enough, I thought some of the weaker elements of the film were all the obligatory batman-stuff they had to tie-in. Not to mention, it being an origin story, kind of ruined the suspense in the build-up toward the end. For example...
you know he's not going to kill himself on the talk-show, despite the "foreshadowing" to film tries to set-up (the practice routine, the shot of the diary when he comes on and sits down) so that leaves only one realistic target, so the "surprise" of the De Niro moment wasn't really a surprise at all.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:58 am

Thor 2 sucks, but Iron Man 3 is very good, especially if you're a fan of Shane Black.
Yeah Thor 2 is really bad. Iron Man 3 is better than 2, but I didn't care for the twist. Age of Ulton is not awful. Winter Solider is phase 2 and that is still my favorite Marvel movie overall. Such a good movie.

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:08 pm

Always good stuff coming out this time of the year, blockbuster and otherwise. Definitely going to check out "A Beautiful Day" and "Marriage Story" and "Uncut Gems" (always down for Sandler actually trying). "Portrait of Lady On Fire" seems to be too good to pass up as well, assuming it opens anywhere around here. On the fence about" Bombshell" and "Richard Jewell," but the lead Paul Walter Hauser was so damn good in I, Tonya that I might just have to check out the latter just for him. Same with "Little Women" and Greta Gerwig's post-Lady Bird pedigree.

Then there's more high-budget fare like "Knives Out" and "1917" that looks great as well. It feels weird having zero excitement about the new Star Wars. I'm not even sure I'll get to it tbh.

Anyone catch "Ford v Ferrari"? Heard it's great dad-cinema, which I am always here for.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:25 pm

There's buy-in from Mrs Tif to go see Ford v Ferrari, but I'm of two minds about it. I fully appreciate and understand the need to change certain facts to make a dramatic narrative work in a 2-hour movie, but this is a story that I'm maybe not wholly okay with tinkering.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:34 pm

Yeah Thor 2 is really bad. Iron Man 3 is better than 2, but I didn't care for the twist. Age of Ulton is not awful. Winter Solider is phase 2 and that is still my favorite Marvel movie overall. Such a good movie.
Is Thor 2 the Dark World one? I dunno, even the Marvel movies that are considered the "worst" of the last 10 years are still all certified fresh on RT, and I have been able to enjoy them for what they are. I enjoyed Age of Ultron a lot too.

We are currently working our way up through, about halfway through Civil War. We are way behind, obviously.

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:36 pm

Knives out looks like a fun movie, I watched the trailer for uncut gems...I thought it looked bad, like cheesy 90's gangsta movie bad.

Bombshell (gratuitous hand gesture). I get the appeal of an Ailes "takedown" movie, but f-that. Meghyn Kelly is a fraud.

I'll see Dark Waters, that looks amazingly tragic and intense.

robbiestoupe

Movie Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:36 pm

Source of the post Absolutely love watching movies like this for the first time, think I have Klute up next. If anyone has anyone suggestions for others from the 70s, I'll gladly take them!
I had a similar urge last Friday night and saw Taxi Driver on Netflix. Didn't live up to expectations, except how hot Cybill Shepherd was.

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:54 pm

Absolutely love watching movies like this for the first time, think I have Klute up next. If anyone has anyone suggestions for others from the 70s, I'll gladly take them!
Five Easy Pieces is the only non-obvious 70's movie I can think of, you can also just pick something from John Cassavetes.

An 80's movie worth revisiting is the Verdict with Paul Newman.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:59 pm

Just watch the three Paul Newman movies directed by George Roy Hill (Butch & Sundance, The Sting, Slap Shot) and call it a day.

(Although I guess the former is a 60s movies)

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:24 pm

Knives out looks like a fun movie, I watched the trailer for uncut gems...I thought it looked bad, like cheesy 90's gangsta movie bad.

Bombshell (gratuitous hand gesture). I get the appeal of an Ailes "takedown" movie, but f-that. Meghyn Kelly is a fraud.
Yeah, I doubt it'll be too hard on her, hence the hesitancy. Had a similar criticism of I, Tonya, where I thought she got off a little easy, and those two aren't even on the same level. Will wait for reviews to see how one-sided it turns out to be.

And Gems, I'm really just here for skeezebag Sandler. He looks like a lot of fun in this one.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:50 am

I watched The Command yesterday (it's on Netflix). Very well done film about the Kursk, the Russian sub that went down in the Barents Sea in 2000 with all hands.

Very good cast - with Germans playing Russians lol - and some historical stuff left out, but really damning on the early reign of Putin and how he (and his admirals) would rather save face than ask for help. A great companion piece to the Chernobyl miniseries imo.

The terrible name for the film almost kept me from watching it. Why not name it after the ship? Or the title of the book it was based on?

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:59 pm

I rented "Trail by Fire" on 'zon last night. It's the story of the Cameron Todd Willingham case. I know parts were dramatized, but man, that was a tough watch.