Movie Thread

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Movie Thread

Postby LITT » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:48 pm

el camino?

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:03 pm

family movie night is Alien tonight. It will be the kids first R movie and everyone is very excited. I haven't watched the new 4k UHD yet, so I'm more excited than usual. I hope someone cries.
What 4K player did you purchase?

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:47 pm

family movie night is Alien tonight. It will be the kids first R movie and everyone is very excited. I haven't watched the new 4k UHD yet, so I'm more excited than usual. I hope someone cries.
What 4K player did you purchase?
I have a Sony UBP-X800. I got it on sale around $200. It doesn't have Dolby Vision, but neither does my Sony TV so it worked out great. I haven't had any issues with it in 2 years.

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:56 pm

Thanks! I've been looking at that and the X800M2 since my TV does have Dolby Vision. But then people started telling me to get the Panasonic DP-UB820, but it's twice the price.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:59 pm

This looks surprisingly fun. I like how they incorporated the ride without it feeling forced.

The Rock could stand to lose some of that mass. He's bigger than he ever was when he wrestled (I'm assuming he's all juiced up) and it's difficult to take him seriously in any movie not named Fast Something or Other.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Movie Thread

Postby LITT » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:06 pm

emily blunt must have new handlers. shes in everything now

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:07 pm

Thanks! I've been looking at that and the X800M2 since my TV does have Dolby Vision. But then people started telling me to get the Panasonic DP-UB820, but it's twice the price.
Yeah, the x800m2 is the way to go imo.

Willie Kool

Movie Thread

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:14 pm

Yeah, the x800m2 is the way to go imo.
I have a X700. It has HDR and DV. Been great.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:27 pm

el camino?
It's out today. I watched about 30 minutes of it at lunch. It's good so far.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:29 pm

I didn't even know they made a 700. I'm guessing it's roughly the same thing without the HDR to SDR conversion which I'm not real sure why someone is buying a 4k player for a 1080 tv in the first place...

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:31 pm

only thing I've seen about the 800M2 is that it appears you have to manually switch DV on/off when playing a disc that supports DV, but that may be a fix with firmware?

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:41 pm

Yeah that thought crossed my mind too.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Movie Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:15 am

I enjoyed El Camino

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:36 am

I enjoyed El Camino
As did I.

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:23 am

Yeah that thought crossed my mind too.
More like she’s in the Disney circle now after Mary Poppins.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:15 am

1 kid had to go upstairs in tears with Mom after the Dallas air shaft scene. I'm surprised he made it that far. He came back down towards the end. Daughter watched it through her fingers, son made it all the way through and loved it. Wife hid in their room and scared the **** out of them before bed. Very successful night being that they didn't come up in my room, but they were all sleeping together by morning, haha. I believe we are onto Aliens.

The 4k uhd may be the best example I've seen of the format. This is how you apply HDR. The strobing, shadows, reflections off surfaces, ships intererior and control buttons and lights, it was like watching the movie new again. Absolutely Incredible.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Movie Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:43 am

I enjoyed El Camino
As did I.
Did it bring closure? Not really. Was anyone looking for closure? I dunno. Did it provide entertainment (revenge, a little bit of humor, good characters, all the stuff BB had)? Why yes.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:47 pm

Exactly. I love how it was basically a secret until they dropped the trailer, too.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:42 pm

believe we are onto Aliens.
The family that Gigers together.... lol

There's a special screening of the film tomorrow at a nearby theater. I've given serious thought to selling my tickets to the Steelers game.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Movie Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:04 pm

I enjoyed El Camino
As did I.
Did it bring closure? Not really. Was anyone looking for closure? I dunno. Did it provide entertainment (revenge, a little bit of humor, good characters, all the stuff BB had)? Why yes.
IMO, it was similar to the Deadwood movie.

An enjoyable goodbye to characters.

Jim

Movie Thread

Postby Jim » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:37 am

1 kid had to go upstairs in tears with Mom after the Dallas air shaft scene. I'm surprised he made it that far. He came back down towards the end. Daughter watched it through her fingers, son made it all the way through and loved it. Wife hid in their room and scared the **** out of them before bed. Very successful night being that they didn't come up in my room, but they were all sleeping together by morning, haha. I believe we are onto Aliens.

The 4k uhd may be the best example I've seen of the format. This is how you apply HDR. The strobing, shadows, reflections off surfaces, ships intererior and control buttons and lights, it was like watching the movie new again. Absolutely Incredible.
Nice

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:29 am

Watched Rear Window for the first time this weekend. That is a pretty terrific movie and reminds me of the later superior film, The Burbs.

Also watched Stargate and it holds up quite well. Brought back a lot of good memories. Anyone ever watch the TV show? Any good?

Jim

Movie Thread

Postby Jim » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:14 am

Watched Rear Window for the first time this weekend. That is a pretty terrific movie and reminds me of the later superior film, The Burbs.

Also watched Stargate and it holds up quite well. Brought back a lot of good memories. Anyone ever watch the TV show? Any good?

I prefer Stargate SG-1 as a series to any of the Star Trek. Stargate: Atlantis was quite good as well. Stargate; Universe sucked balls (it ignored everything that made SG1 and Atlantis great and tried to become Battlestar Galactica v2).

The SG1 series started on Showtime and the pilot even had a spot of full frontal. For the 6th season it flipped to Sci-Fi channel, but the production quality didn't drop. It's one of the rare shows that Sci-Fi actually did good effects for. One of my favorite aspects about the show was that while it kept the sci-fi aspect very serious, once it fleshed out the characters there was actually a lot of humor in the interactions. Even though it was filmed in Canada, the US Air Force fully supported the show and a few actual high ranking general types appeared in episodes.

While the series does pick up from the movie, they made minor changes to the mythos of the movie to make it work better for a series as opposed to a one-shot movie where things do not need to be explored or explained, but it is easy to get past. The writers/show runners were not afraid to make changes/corrections if something didn't work writing wise, story wise, or just even a "that was a bad idea" thing. That is something that would drive Star Trek fans insane, ie: changing cannon. An easily memorable one is the zat hand gun. When it first appeared one shot would stun, a second shot would kill, a third shot would disintegrate (people or things). It didn't take long before the "third-shot" thing vanished itself, and then after a while the second-shot-kill thing was no longer mentioned.

Atlantis started at the start of S8 of SG1 and there were some crossovers. SG1 went 10 seasons, Atlantis for 5. it was 15 seasons of enjoyable escapism.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:01 am

I prefer Stargate SG-1 as a series to any of the Star Trek. Stargate: Atlantis was quite good as well. Stargate; Universe sucked balls (it ignored everything that made SG1 and Atlantis great and tried to become Battlestar Galactica v2).

The SG1 series started on Showtime and the pilot even had a spot of full frontal. For the 6th season it flipped to Sci-Fi channel, but the production quality didn't drop. It's one of the rare shows that Sci-Fi actually did good effects for. One of my favorite aspects about the show was that while it kept the sci-fi aspect very serious, once it fleshed out the characters there was actually a lot of humor in the interactions. Even though it was filmed in Canada, the US Air Force fully supported the show and a few actual high ranking general types appeared in episodes.

While the series does pick up from the movie, they made minor changes to the mythos of the movie to make it work better for a series as opposed to a one-shot movie where things do not need to be explored or explained, but it is easy to get past. The writers/show runners were not afraid to make changes/corrections if something didn't work writing wise, story wise, or just even a "that was a bad idea" thing. That is something that would drive Star Trek fans insane, ie: changing cannon. An easily memorable one is the zat hand gun. When it first appeared one shot would stun, a second shot would kill, a third shot would disintegrate (people or things). It didn't take long before the "third-shot" thing vanished itself, and then after a while the second-shot-kill thing was no longer mentioned.

Atlantis started at the start of S8 of SG1 and there were some crossovers. SG1 went 10 seasons, Atlantis for 5. it was 15 seasons of enjoyable escapism.
:thumb: Thanks. I didn't realize it went on that long, that's quite an investment. Did the show take place at one location or did they use the stargate to go to multiple planets?

Jim

Movie Thread

Postby Jim » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:27 am

:thumb: Thanks. I didn't realize it went on that long, that's quite an investment. Did the show take place at one location or did they use the stargate to go to multiple planets?
SG1 had it's main base in Cheyenne Mountain and there were very few episodes where they did not go to another planet either through the gate or via ship. Atlantis took place in another galaxy. They had a base too, but also most episodes took place elsewhere. Most planets with Stargates were seeded with humans so you get a kind of alien of the week, without them being aliens.

That brings up something else that the Stargate writers/show runners were open about... everyone speaks English. They decided early on that they didn't want to spend the first 15-20 minutes of every 46 minute episode figuring out how to communicate. It would have gotten very repetitious very fast. So, even though the humans were taken from earth in ancient Egyptian times... English.