Movie Thread

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:25 am

within the last year or two, I've become more and more of a Marvel movie fan, but I didn't quite follow the significance of the last post credit scene in Black Panther (not the one poking Trumps build walls), but the last one. Any help?
2) Shuri wakes up Bucky Barnes, the Winter Soldier, and introduces him to Wakanda

Black Panther’s post-credits scene opens with a few kids staring right at us. It’s filmed from a first-person point of view, but we won’t find out whose eyes we’re looking through until later in the scene. The person is just waking up, and these kids are the first things they see. We watch through this mystery person’s eyes as the kids run out of the room.

Then the camera quickly shifts from the first-person point of view to a wide shot of T’Challa’s sister Shuri, standing outside by a lake. The kids we just saw come running out of a house to greet Shuri. Bucky Barnes, the Winter Soldier, follows them out — we were seeing his point of view all along — and introduces himself. She informs him that he’s in Wakanda, and the scene cuts away as they set out together, presumably so she can teach him about the country.

What it means:
This scene is actually a major callback to one of the credits scenes from Captain America: Civil War. In that scene, T’Challa promised to take care of Bucky and rehabilitate him after Bucky had his metal arm shot off. Bucky told Cap that until they figured out how to counteract the brainwashing he’d been exposed to, putting him into some sort of hibernation or stasis pod was the best way forward.
The Black Panther credits scene suggests that Shuri — the genius behind all of Wakanda’s most impressive technological advancements — has since figured out how to fix Bucky’s brainwashing. In the movie, we see Shuri heal bullet wounds in a matter of a few days, so removing Cold War brainwashing seems like something that she’s fully capable of.

The scene also functions as a preview of Avengers: Infinity War and hints at a new mystery. As the first trailer for Infinity War revealed, Captain America, Bucky, Falcon, and Black Widow are all in Wakanda, but it’s still not entirely clear why.

Originally, the Captain America credits scene had made it seem like Cap was leaving Bucky in Wakanda for treatment, then heading somewhere else. But it’s explained in Black Panther that Wakanda is capable of concealing itself from the outside world. So the Black Panther credits scene suggests that, since Captain America, Falcon, and Black Widow are on the run from the US government and probably the UN as well, they might have found a prime hiding place in the one country on Earth that can make itself invisible.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:25 am

second post credit scene
At the end of Captain America: Civil War, Bucky Barnes, aka the Winter Soldier, is sent to Wakanda to get treatment for his mental conditioning/programming that turns him into a mindless assassin. In Black Panther, Barnes is the White Wolf that emerges from that tent...ready to go for Infinity War this spring.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:29 am

We've been doing our annual watching of all of the best picture nominations. We've seen everything except The Phantom Thread and Call Me By My Name. Here are my current rankings, which is definitely different from my predictions:

Dunkirk
Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri
Darkest Hour
Get Out
Lady Bird
The Post
The Shape of Water
Last edited by nocera on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Movie Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:36 am

Watched A River Runs Through It this weekend.

I was young when it came out, so not sure what kind of acclaim it got, but that's such a good movie.
The book is a good read. I've seen parts of the movie but I was skeptical that it would translate to the screen

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:40 am

I must have missed that post credit scene in Civil War, thanks to all.

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:43 am

We've been doing our annual watching of all of the best picture nominations. We've seen everything except The Phantom Thread and Call Me By My Name. Here are my current rankings, which is definitely different from my predictions:

Dunkirk
Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri
Darkest Hour
Get Out
The Post
Lady Bird
The Shape of Water
I haven't seen 3 Billboards, Get Out, Darkest Hour, Shape of Water and Ladybird. My ranking would be:

Call me by Your Name
Dunkirk
Phantom Thread
The Post

I think the Post is good, but has no business winning an Oscar.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:46 am

I watched Spotlight shortly after watching The Post. Spotlight was the far superior journalism film. The Post was good, but not an Oscar contender imo. Meryl Streep is fine in it, but nothing extraordinary.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:25 am

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:27 am

I watched Spotlight shortly after watching The Post. Spotlight was the far superior journalism film. The Post was good, but not an Oscar contender imo. Meryl Streep is fine in it, but nothing extraordinary.
I really didn't like The Post. I was bored throughout most of it and that 2 hours draaaagged.

Thinking about it more, I would swap Lady Bird and The Post. Lady Bird annoyed me and it was yet another bland coming of age story, but at least I wasn't bored.

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:08 am

I was young when it came out, so not sure what kind of acclaim it got, but that's such a good movie.
:thumb: I've been wanting to see that again. When I was younger, I took a fly fishing trip out west and visited a lot of the spots in the movie. Absolutely breathtaking scenery!
Terrific film. And that trip sounds incredible!

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:09 am

:thumb: I've been wanting to see that again. When I was younger, I took a fly fishing trip out west and visited a lot of the spots in the movie. Absolutely breathtaking scenery!
Terrific film. And that trip sounds incredible!
I always confuse this with A River Wild. Much different movie.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:04 pm

Black panther
completely missed this during the movie,
but the end fight literally happened in an underground railroad

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:27 pm

Bond 25 is looking at Danny Boyle to direct!

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:09 pm

CHRIS TUCKER CONFIRMS ‘RUSH HOUR 4’ IS OFFICIALLY HAPPENING
Chris Tucker appeared on ESPN’s podcast The Plug. Tucker was asked if him and Jackie Chan would team up ever again for the Rush Hour franchise, to which Tucker replied, “It’s happening. This is gonna be the rush of all rushes.” Tucker continued, “Jackie is ready and we want to do this so that people don’t ever forget it.”

Last year, Tucker said “For the last seven years, we’ve been turning down, turning down the script. But yesterday, we agreed.” and that’s when Jackie Chan said Tucker was on the fence about coming back.

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:05 pm

I saw Blade when it first came out and honestly can’t remember it. Is it worth going back for a rewatch? How about the sequels?

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:04 am

Blade is great. Blade 2 is great. Blade 3 is pg13 blade.

I remember the club scene from the first blade and my dad would always crank his home theater and my mom would get pissed. The old cerwin vega sub really shined during that part.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:06 am

Snipes said last month that he's down to return as Blade if the studio ever allows it to happen.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:07 am

Maybe blade 3 is r, I don't remember it being very good though

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:15 am

Blade: Trinity was the worst of the bunch, but if you're a Blade fan, it's still worth a watch.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:30 am

Mute on Netflix is not getting good reviews which means I'll probably enjoy it very much.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:35 am

Mute on Netflix is not getting good reviews which means I'll probably enjoy it very much.
Agreed; already have a reminder set to download it once released. Movie reviews are largely worthless anymore, which is why I don't pay attention to any of them.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:22 am

Agreed; already have a reminder set to download it once released. Movie reviews are largely worthless anymore, which is why I don't pay attention to any of them.
:thumb: I know Netflix gets hammered about their movies and taking away from the theater experience, but I love that they throw money at these talented directors which allow them to make their passion projects. With their 4K mandate (I think) and the stuff they put out in HDR, I'm seeing a better picture than I would be able to in the theater, the screen is just smaller. Nobody was going to see Mute (or Annihilation for that matter this weekend anyway).

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:26 am

Source of the postI know Netflix gets hammered about their movies and taking away from the theater experience, but I love that they throw money at these talented directors which allow them to make their passion projects.
That's precisely what happened with Bright. I couldn't care less if a new movie is being released in the theater, Netflix, or even only BR - if it's good, I'll watch. Anyone who uses that as a basis for their review isn't worth the time.

I've only caught a handful of Netflix shows and movies, and quite honestly have not been disappointed with any of them at all. I do like how the opening of each series has a similar feel to them all, all being outstanding.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:28 am

I thought Bright was great, a lot of fun!

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:05 am

Blade is great and minus some wonky CGI is a great rewatch. Blade 2 is equally great and though I've seen some nonsense lately about it not aging well, that's complete nonsense and the movie is still a great rewatch. Blade 3 is significantly less than great. It was a very contentious production and Snipes hated the movie and having sidekicks. Per Patton Oswalt:
Oh, Christ. That was the third Blade movie. And there’s a scene where Blade goes in and confronts this guy for harvesting humans. That scene was supposed to be the whole basis of the film. Blade is fighting for the last shred of humanity. But they thought that it was just so **** grim, so they decided to just have Blade fighting Dracula. It was just one of those; it was a very troubled production. Wesley [Snipes] was just **** crazy in a hilarious way. He wouldn’t come out of his trailer, and he would smoke weed all day. Which is fine with me, because I had all these DVDs that I wanted to catch up on. We were in Vancouver, and it was always raining. I kept the door to my trailer open to smell the evening rain while I was watching a movie. Then I remember one day on the set—they let everyone pick their own clothes—there was one black actor who was also kind of a club kid. And he wore this shirt with the word “Garbage” on it in big stylish letters. It was his shirt. And Wesley came down to the set, which he only did for close-ups. Everything else was done by his stand-in. I only did one scene with him. But he comes on and goes, “There’s only one other black guy in the movie, and you make him wear a shirt that says ‘Garbage?’ You racist ****!”

And he tried to strangle the director, David Goyer. So later that night, Ron Perlman was in the city. Everyone who makes movies in Vancouver stays in the same hotel. It’s like an episode of The Love Boat. Every time the elevator stops, you’ve got a different celebrity getting on. Like, [announcer voice] “Hey, now we’ve got Danny Glover!” So we went out that night to some strip club, and we were all drinking. And there were a bunch of bikers there, so David says to them, “I’ll pay for all your drinks if you show up to set tomorrow and pretend to be my security.” Wesley freaked out and went back to his trailer. [Laughs.] And the next day, Wesley sat down with David and was like, “I think you need to quit. You’re detrimental to this movie.” And David was like, “Why don’t you quit? We’ve got all your close-ups, and we could shoot the rest with your stand-in.” And that freaked Wesley out so much that, for the rest of the production, he would only communicate with the director through Post-it notes. And he would sign each Post-it note “From Blade.”
Despite all of its faults, the movie does feature this though: