Movie Thread

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:40 pm

Diana and the Amazing Technicolor Graphic Design

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:02 pm

Didn't realize until just now that Saving Private Ryan was playing at the AMC Waterfront for two days. Would love to catch that on the big screen again.

Jim

Movie Thread

Postby Jim » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:47 am

It's a great movie (up until the cgi bad guy ending)
Spend 90 minutes setting up a fierce, strong, independent female character - who at one point actually says "men are unnecessary" - and then in the final battle, she is only able to become her full self and realize the extent of her powers the day after the first dude she ever met slips his wing wang up her hoo haw and says "I love you". I seriously was like, 'did this just happen'......
Feminists (such as the director) have literally no idea what they want or how to demonstrate it.

How to fix:
Step 1: Stop trying to get a message out.
Step 2: You are now free to make a good movie that happens to have a strong female lead.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:10 am

Didn't realize until just now that Saving Private Ryan was playing at the AMC Waterfront for two days. Would love to catch that on the big screen again.
The first time I saw the movie was a special pre-release screening. There were multiple veterans in the crowd, and more than a few of them had to excuse themselves before the Omaha Beach sequence finished. I've never been so impacted by a film experience, and to this day I get chills thinking about the men in the khaki jackets in the theater lobby wiping tears from their faces.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:22 am

Yeah, I had a similar experience in a theater on its first day of release in 1998. A small group of veterans had to leave during the first few minutes of the invasion scene; another wept in the theater during the death of Mellish.

A few years before that, I was privileged to go to a special screening of Schindler's List with a group of Holocaust survivors. The film was followed by a Q&A session that was fascinating and very emotional.

Jim

Movie Thread

Postby Jim » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:24 am

The first time I saw the movie was a special pre-release screening. There were multiple veterans in the crowd, and more than a few of them had to excuse themselves before the Omaha Beach sequence finished. I've never been so impacted by a film experience, and to this day I get chills thinking about the men in the khaki jackets in the theater lobby wiping tears from their faces.

If you want to test your new home theater sound system... the opening of Saving Private Ryan is how you test it.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:16 am

Bill and Ted's daughters have been cast for the new movie.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:33 am

Ted's daughter is from the Netflix show Atypical. She's pretty good in it, fwiw.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:38 am

Indeed she is.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Movie Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:50 am

William s preston, esquire

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:22 pm

Yeah, I had a similar experience in a theater on its first day of release in 1998. A small group of veterans had to leave during the first few minutes of the invasion scene; another wept in the theater during the death of Mellish.

A few years before that, I was privileged to go to a special screening of Schindler's List with a group of Holocaust survivors. The film was followed by a Q&A session that was fascinating and very emotional.
Mellish's death is utterly terrifying and heartbreaking all at once. You just feel so powerless as it plays out.

We had a Survivor come to my History of Fascism class at Penn State. Nothing really prepares you for the jolt of electricity that goes through your body when they roll up their sleeve and show you their brand/tattoo. It's unnerving and sickening and all the worst of us you can imagine floods your brain, and you just want to go back in time and squeeze the life right out of the motherfckers that did this.

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:36 pm

For any F13 fans here it looks like the legal battle continues unfortunately. It will still be a long while before anything else happens.

The fan films have been quite good. Never Hike Alone is getting a sequel. Too bad they can't do anything else with them.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:58 pm

Is the name "X-Men" outdated? Marvel Studios' Executive Vice President of Production Victoria Alonso thinks so. During an interview about Captain Marvel's home video release, Alonso is asked about the future of the X-Men at Disney and goes on an interesting tangent.

"I don't know where the future is going," Alonso told Nuke the Fridge. "Its funny that people call it the X-Men... there's a lot of female superheroes in that X-Men group; I think it's outdated."

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:03 pm

I can't wait for X-People.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:06 pm

Her comments make her seem incompetent. Throwing away a brand that has done exceptionally well for decades can’t be called anything but shortsighted.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Movie Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:05 pm

Mellish's death is utterly terrifying and heartbreaking all at once. You just feel so powerless as it plays out.

We had a Survivor come to my History of Fascism class at Penn State. Nothing really prepares you for the jolt of electricity that goes through your body when they roll up their sleeve and show you their brand/tattoo. It's unnerving and sickening and all the worst of us you can imagine floods your brain, and you just want to go back in time and squeeze the life right out of the motherfckers that did this.
I minored in Jewish Studies at Pitt and had senior seminar on the Holocaust with 5 other students. It was by far the most impactful class I had in my life. We not only had a holocaust survivor, but a former SS soldier speak to us.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:02 pm

If you want to test your new home theater sound system... the opening of Saving Private Ryan is how you test it.
This is true and it somehow gets even better with the recent 4k uhd release

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:41 am

Ant-Man 3 And Thor 4 Reportedly Confirmed For MCU Phase 4
Ant-Man 3 and Thor 4 have been confirmed for MCU phase four, if a source is to believed.

The Independent claims to have got this info from Roger Wardell, who they say 'has been hailed by Marvel fans as the most trusted source'.
But Mr Wardell didn't just tell The Independent about Ant-Man 3 and Thor 4, he also said that Marvel is developing Black Widow, The Eternals, Black Panther 2, Shang-Chi, Doctor Strange 2, Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:49 pm

I need to see Endgame again.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:18 am

And Thor: Ragnarok another 4-5 times. That movie was so much fun.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Movie Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:10 pm

Godzilla was
not good

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:19 pm

Framing John Delorean is getting really positive reviews as a film. I wasn't going to bother watching it for a while until it hit one of my free services because I absolutely loathe Alec Baldwin, but I might give in. I think it's like $5.99 on the major VOD services. It was released, and sold out, in NYC last week and is getting its national release on 6/14.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:46 am

Watched Hoosiers for the first time last night. It came out when I was five or six, but I legit thought my entire life that it was released in the early 70s. Doesn't play like a late 80s movie so I can see how it was appreciated in its time. Loved the setup shots of Indiana, I did a backroads motorcycle tour through there a few years ago and it looks about the same.

robbiestoupe

Movie Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:49 am

Good flick. Was my grandmother's favorite movie (big Hoosier fan).

You can say the same about the backroads in Ohio, Illinois, Iowa...pretty much all of the Midwest between the Rockies and Appalachians. We used to have family reunions in Moscow, IN and that's as Midwest as you can get.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:56 am

Yup. I was riding/camping through WI/IA/IL/IN/OH and made a point to stick to non-interstate roads for most of the trip. That was the trip where I snapped my clutch cable pulling into where I was going to camp in northern IN. Rode from Delphi, IN to Champaign, IL the next morning without a clutch, shifting was fine if you matched revs but stopping was a pain so I just tactically blew through every stop sign in every corn field for hours. :lol: