Movie Thread

Miami Vice

Movie Thread

Postby Miami Vice » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:55 am

and I think Rango's problem too is that they have only one auditorium. Disney wants as many showings per day as possible, so for every auditorium a theater commits they want exclusivity in it for a certain amount of time, even the "normal" ones.

Thats why so many small independent theaters are really mad at what they're doing. Disney's demanding a higher cut of the ticket sales for Star Wars and probably this Marvel film too, which squeezes the theater. Then they demand exclusivity in an auditorium, which is fine if there are 20 of them. Its more of a problem for a place with many fewer screens.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:04 am

Regarding Disney, somebody posted this on Reddit a few days ago:
Gotta be honest: Kinda hoping this doesnt get huge, cause I am not looking to get fired, but I need to get this out.

Disney is just getting worse and worse for theaters.

They stopped letting theater employees get free tickets to see their movies. Any of them. Ever. Even a month in, none of us can go see Black Panther even if its at 10am in an empty theater. They are the ONLY studio who actively campaign against the people selling their movies actually being allowed to see them.

And, yeah, whatever...no one gives a **** about minimum wage workers and dont care about their issues. I know; I should get a real job I guess.

But now they also wont allow teachers to get free tickets during teacher appreciation week, aka its Spring Break and you have a week off, you can see any free movie you want! Unless you want to see Black Panther or a Wrinkle in Time...then you gotta pay the mouse.

Its just getting worse and worse as Disney gobbles up more property. They wont let theaters cap their movie sales (aka: if you go to a theater/restaurant hybrid that has servers bringing you food and drinks to your seats; dont expect good service during a Disney film, because even if only one server is available the theater has to SELL OUT because Disney demands it: That one server is probably serving 60+ people besides you, even though the theater would usually stop selling at 30-40 to not overwork a minimum wage employee for any other movie by any other studio)

They demand their movies play in the biggest theaters for weeks or even months even if the theater would make better money playing something else. Otherwise: good luck keeping a theater going without access to Marvel/Star Wars/Pixar, because Disney will pull their business!

And as they buy up more and more movies, theaters get less and less access; do you enjoy going to special screenings of older cult movies now playing on a big screen? Too bad, because after Disney buys them they go straight into that coveted vault of theirs and are no longer allowed to be played. And they now own a LOT of movies that you really would not expect. Because not every buyout is as public as the Fox one.

Disney is taking over and they are doing all these highly public good deeds in order to sweep their rather greedy business practices and media hoarding under the rug so no average person notices (they just blame the theater for not catering to their needs and wants, when really; its all Disney
(Source)

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:21 am

As a place of employment, Disney is referred to as 'Mouseschwitz' in the industry. But I don't know how 80% of those claims would even be enforceable.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:22 am

It saddens me that all those teachers are left paying for their Wrinkle In Time tickets with their own money. :cry:

(I know, not the point, but it was a pretty ineffective effort to tug at heart strings there.)

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:27 am

It saddens me that all those teachers are left paying for their Wrinkle In Time tickets with their own money. :cry:

(I know, not the point, but it was a pretty ineffective effort to tug at heart strings there.)
I'm a little surprised that the theater would ask the distributer to cover that cost. Free movies for teacher appreciation is a fantastic idea, but you would think the theater itself would pay for a teacher's ticket, not the studio. It's not like they won't immediately recover the cost by selling one bag of popcorn marked up 300%.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:33 am

Depending on when the screening takes place, it would be a hit to the distributor's take. First two weeks, the studio is taking 80-85% of ticket revenue. But again, I don't know how the studio would even know that person was in the auditorium, unless the theater issues special comp tickets and it would show up in an audit.

When my buddy worked at a theater, I became sort of an 'honorary employee', and didn't pay to see a movie for like two years. I don't remember ever getting a special ticket.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:34 am

Yeah, it's wrong minded, but a theater employee that can't figure out how to watch a free movie probably isn't cut out for, well, life.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:55 am

I had a friend who worked for the theater in high school. Not only did he frequently sneak us in the back door, but we also would bring in full trays of pizza to enjoy during the film.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:42 am

For what it's worth, I had an enjoyable experience with the Pittsburgh Mills IMAX for Dunkirk. I don't believe it's true IMAX, but it was great. The sound was amazing.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:45 am

I have a hard time telling what's still alive at Pittsburgh Mills. Thanks for confirming that's still there at least.

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:18 pm

Saw Black Panther yesterday and while it was good, it wasn't great to me.

Thought it was long in a few places.

The CGI was distracting in a couple spots.

The story was all over the place (too much for one movie).

The Lexus commercial was too long.

It might be weird to say, but the bad guy wasn't bad enough and was almost sympathetic.

EDIT: Saw it in 2D

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Movie Thread

Postby LITT » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:48 pm

For what it's worth, I had an enjoyable experience with the Pittsburgh Mills IMAX for Dunkirk. I don't believe it's true IMAX, but it was great. The sound was amazing.
mills is true imax

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:52 pm

agree with spotty CGI, car chase was a blast, I believe that's what they were going for with the bad guy. I thought there were a lot of layers to the story and they did a great job at appealing to kids or just superhero action fans, while also putting some heavy themes in there. Just because you have these racial themes in a movie doesn't make it a movie you can't criticize. Sure they did something very special with a superhero movie, but that doesn't make it a masterpiece. I'm glad it's doing so well and I look forward to more of the character, but give me GotG and Thor 3 all day.

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:32 pm

I was intrigued by the second credits scene.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:41 pm

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:41 pm

That's been in development for about 15 years. It'll be interesting to see how bad it turns out.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:44 pm

:face:

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:44 pm

Jason Statham and giant sharks? Hell yeah.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:47 pm

Bingbing Li, Ruby Rose, AND Jason Statham? How am I expected to keep my pants on during this movie?

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:51 pm

Depending on which theater you go to, you may not have to.

shmenguin

Movie Thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:55 pm

That's been in development for about 15 years. It'll be interesting to see how bad it turns out.
i read the book in 1998. i wanted this movie to happen very badly. they had something cooking and then bailed because of Deep Blue Sea being shitty.

Now? eh. it's not a very thoughtful story and since 1998, i've had sufficient CGI creatures in my life to make this not as interesting. If they went more high-end with the casting, i'd be singing a different tune. but this is just reading as generic CGI action schlock.

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:01 pm

but this is just reading as generic CGI action schlock.
Yep, it's a big budget Syfy movie. I'll see it if it hits one of the local drive ins, otherwise I'll wait for Netflix.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:31 pm

For as awful as Deep Blue Sea was - both in concept and in execution - that Samuel L Jackson scene is one the greatest character sign-offs in movie history imo.

shmenguin

Movie Thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:35 pm

i enjoyed a lot of Deep Blue Sea. some of the effects were pretty great. and if they would have made the sharks less...human?...it could have been something, imo.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:58 pm

Look into the tech on the animatronic sharks in DBS. They were fully self-contained (no wires) and could swim at 30 mph. Kinda bonkers.