Movie Thread

Silentom

Movie Thread

Postby Silentom » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:39 am

r/HighQualityGifs is embracing the Christmas spirit.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:44 am

Let's hope that this doesn't mean the end of R-rated superhero movies from them.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:44 am

HQG is always a good time.

Silentom

Movie Thread

Postby Silentom » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:49 am

Totes. It's one of my morning stops.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:56 am

On the more worrisome side, Disney now owns 20th Century Fox, Fox TV, National Geographic, FX, India’s Star TV, a controlling stake in Hulu, a 39% stake in Europe’s Sky TV, and the ability for ESPN to use Fox’s regional sports networks as a promotional platform. What’s more, Murdoch won’t be holding on to the Fox News networks as previously speculated. Those will be all spun off into a new company under Fox’s shareholders. And yeah, this means Disney owns stuff like the X-Men, the Fantastic Four and The Simpsons, but more concerning, it now owns the Avatar franchise, which makes its potential market share both domestically and abroad gargantuan. With Disney already cornering movie theatres into demands over how and when to run The Last Jedi, this doesn’t exactly bode well for exhibitors (or for smaller films, which will probably suffer under some sort of tiered ticket pricing structure in the near future).

If you were about to take solace in the fact that Rupert Murdoch no longer has a stake in all these media assets, guess again. Murdoch and his Large Adult Sons James and Lachlan (Fox’s CEO and co-executive chairman, respectively) are now key shareholders of Disney stock, with Fox shareholders getting a sweet 25% ownership of Disney in the process, 5% going to the Murdoch family trust and the Murdochs remaining in control of what’s left of Fox.

Bob Iger is also going to remain Disney chairman and CEO through 2021, so good for him. As for everyone in the American film industry (and adjacent industries) who will find themselves bearing the financial brunt of this consolidation, our condolences. To those of you want to see the X-Men kicking it with the Avengers: congrats, I guess.
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/12/14/ ... entury-fox

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:11 am

Yeah, yeah, yeah. More importantly, can Disney now release the original unaltered Star Wars trilogy on blu-ray?

Silentom

Movie Thread

Postby Silentom » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:16 am

nocera askin' the real questions.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:13 pm

Let's hope that this doesn't mean the end of R-rated superhero movies from them.
Ben Fritz

@benfritz
Iger specifically calls out "Deadpool," wants to keep making sequels. "There may be an opportunity for an R-rated Marvel brand as long as we let audiences know what’s coming."

10:17 AM - Dec 14, 2017

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:14 pm

also

Apparently you can’t actually blow the Matterhorn.
https://twitter.com/VancityReynolds/sta ... 4417802241

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Movie Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:20 am

When did movie previews become all drug, alcohol, and "awareness" ads.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:10 pm

It took one day....I was reading the comments section of an article about Amish paying taxes on Lancaster Online, and someone in the comments spoilered the new SW movie. Why do people get off on that stuff? It's really bizarre.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:28 pm

Anyone ever go to the IMAX at Loews in the Waterfront? Any good? Worth the extra ticket price?

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:31 am

It took one day....I was reading the comments section of an article about Amish paying taxes on Lancaster Online, and someone in the comments spoilered the new SW movie. Why do people get off on that stuff? It's really bizarre.
Yup.

Bastards got me too.

Completely unrelated site and topic. BOOM. There it was.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:44 am

That stinks. We've been good in the star wars thread using spoilers too.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:04 pm

Yeah, yeah, yeah. More importantly, can Disney now release the original unaltered Star Wars trilogy on blu-ray?
The rights to Eps V, VI, and I-III would've reverted to Disney, nee Lucasfilm, in May 2020 regardless. Ep IV would've remained at Fox in perpetuity had this deal not been done. But the stumbling block has never been a legal one. The official story from LFL is that when they did the Special Editions, Lucas was so bent on killing the OT as it existed that as they created restored negatives for the new scenes, they actually destroyed the originals. So the OT just doesn't exist anymore.

Sure, you could invest tens of thousands of man-hours to create new interpositives of the OT to strike new negatives to make prints and Bluray transfers. And it would be a license to print money. But then you'd be left with this:
I wouldn't touch those, are you kidding me? Those will always remain his. - - Kathleen Kennedy
Don't expect the OT to be available while she's the boss at LFL.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:46 pm

Anyone ever go to the IMAX at Loews in the Waterfront? Any good? Worth the extra ticket price?
Following up on this -

The IMAX experience at the Waterfront is garbage. My seats were pretty terrible - second to last row on the left side of the screen - but had I known that they were actually BEHIND the rear speakers I wouldn’t have purchased them. Also, leg room is non existent and I had a railing blocking the lower right side of the screen. Who knew theaters had obstructed view seating?

From now on it’s regular screenings with VIP seating or bust.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:01 pm

Anyone hear anything about Rangos giant Cinema yet?

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:07 pm

Anyone hear anything about Rangos giant Cinema yet?
Went last night. The screen and sound are equally incredible. Just an amazing way to view a movie. I just wish they had done some modifications to the seating. It’s still the same old extremely vertical seating structure with zero leg room, zero recline, and ya sure as hell better not have to use the bathroom during a movie. I’ll definitely see a movie there again, but my go to theater remains Century Square Luxury Cinemas.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:11 pm

The Foreigner (Jackie Chan) was quite enjoyable.

Morkle

Movie Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:59 am

Yup.

Bastards got me too.

Completely unrelated site and topic. BOOM. There it was.
Same here. Saw it yesterday. Came away thinking it was a solid OK. Compared to the first one, it didn't hold weight IMO. So many weird decisions by the crew/writing that made it seem really wonky.

Visually it was awesome though. They just should have paid JJ Abrams whatever he wanted to be the director/whatever role he had for the first movie, creation-wise.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:43 am

cool!
The Alamo Drafthouse chain is taking a step into the past by launching Video Vortex, a reimagining of classic video rental stores, at its upcoming 11-screen location in Raleigh, N.C.

The company, now in its 20th year with 29 locations in operation, is touting Video Vortex as one of the largest video archives on the planet. The North Carolina location will open in the first quarter of next year. Visitors can return rentals on their next trip to the location or mail DVDs and Blu-rays back to the shop with a return envelope.

Along with Blu-ray and DVD titles, Video Vortex will contain a “massive” rental selection of rare VHS tapes, including titles never released on digital formats. The store will also rent VCRs as well as provide renters with the equipment for RCA adapters free of charge. The space will also feature a selection of curated Blu-rays for sale, film-related merchandise, and Mondo releases.

“It gives me hope for humanity to see Video Vortex grow from a series at the Alamo to an actual video store,” says Ziemba. “VHS is still the only way to see hundreds of forgotten genre movies. But in this era of rare tapes selling for insane amounts of money, Video Vortex will make them easily accessible for everyone in the Raleigh film community.”
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/alamo ... 202643737/

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:11 am

In related news, a local farming family is turning one of their fields into a two screen drive in theater. I’m pretty excited about that.

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:39 am

In related news, a local farming family is turning one of their fields into a two screen drive in theater. I’m pretty excited about that.
Drive-ins are awesome!

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:21 pm

Oceans 11 is one of the most watchable movies ever made. For whatever reason, I never get tired of it and will watch it every time I see it on TNT.

This looks fun and "Every con has its pros" is a great tagline. If nothing else, it has to be better than Oceans 12.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:25 pm

So is this basically like the new Ghostbusters movie, only with Ocean's 11? Hard for me to get excited about Rhianna, Mindy Kaling, and James Corden (enough of him already)