Movie Thread

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:10 pm

She’s one of the best young actresses I can remember.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:19 pm

Ghostbusters Afterlife had a lot of fun stuff. It also had a lot of eye rolling stuff but luckily the fun outweighed the bad for me. I have some issues and maybe I'll get into those if anybody else has seen it but overall I had a good time watching it. It's infinitely better than 2016's version and surprisingly emotional.
I saw it in theaters and will pick up the 4k once it's out. I know it's out on digital today and I may buy it just to watch it again sooner than later (the amount of $$$ I've pumped into the franchise is scary honestly).

I agree there was some eye rolling things, but it worked on just about every level for me. It was alot of nostalgia no doubt, but I think that is what I wanted. Agree that Mckenna Grace was fantastic.

I'd be interested in a more detailed discussion though because why not haha.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:27 pm

Is she the girl from Sabrina on Netflix?

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:44 pm

Ghostbusters Afterlife had a lot of fun stuff. It also had a lot of eye rolling stuff but luckily the fun outweighed the bad for me. I have some issues and maybe I'll get into those if anybody else has seen it but overall I had a good time watching it. It's infinitely better than 2016's version and surprisingly emotional.
I saw it in theaters and will pick up the 4k once it's out. I know it's out on digital today and I may buy it just to watch it again sooner than later (the amount of $$$ I've pumped into the franchise is scary honestly).

I agree there was some eye rolling things, but it worked on just about every level for me. It was alot of nostalgia no doubt, but I think that is what I wanted. Agree that Mckenna Grace was fantastic.

YES. I'll pick up a physical copy once its released but today I sailed the high seas since there are finally good versions available. Ghostbusters is my favorite movie of all time so I was hesitant going in. Massive spoilers below.
Let's start with the issues I had:
- Blatant call backs with no real purpose such as "who you gonna call?" or the twinkie in the glove box. If you're going to hit me with nostalgia (which this movie is not afraid of at all) at least make it move the plot forward. For example, Phoebe using the old Ghostbusters commercial to contact Ray. That was a brilliant use of nostalgia/call back.

- The mini Stay Pufts. God damnit. Stay Puft only exists in the first film because Ray specifically tried to think of the most harmless random thing he could when Gozer told them to choose their destroyer. That entire sequence in Wal-Mart made very little sense. It's like Reitman or the studio thought they needed to sell little plush Stay Puft toys and thought they could make them this film's Porgs. Cut that sequence, have Grooberson get attacked somewhere else, and you improve the film immediately.

- This is technically a sequel to Ghostbusters 2 (they didn't Halloween this timeline) but there's basically no mention of 2 at all. Even the car is Ecto-1 not 1A. Would've been nice to see some shots of 2 when Phoebe was doing her research at least.

- The kid's are a bit too young. Again, McKenna Grace was very good so this isn't a knock on her performance at all but it seemed that her character was too smart, too calm, and too strong for somebody of her age. Same with Podcast, a character I assumed I would hate and ended up liking quite a bit. This is a nitpick for sure and I wouldn't sacrifice Grace just to get an older actor in the role but it did take me out of it a few times.

- Going along with the age of the kids, I'm not sure the film knows its target audience. Or more likely, they attempted to target two audiences: today's kids and adults who loved Ghostbusters when they were kids. The end sequence hit hard for me but I'm not so sure a kid would have the same reaction. Likewise the Stay Puft sequence felt like it was aimed at really young kids and I can't see adults enjoying it even ignoring my main beef.

Now the good stuff:

- This movie has legit laughs. Like it's actually funny in a way that 2016, despite being more of a traditional comedy, never was. It's not original films funny but that's to be expected. I also liked that it's not a straight up comedy. At its heart, this movie is a family drama with comedic elements.

- Can't say it enough, McKenna Grace is fantastic. I bought her being a Spangler immediately. I will watch her career with great interest.

- I didn't mind Finn Wolfhard at all. He was perfect in his role.

- The atmosphere of the town was spot on. It looked great, the townspeople were great, Shandor Mining, all of it. Great stuff.

- The effects were also very well done. It reminded me of what Ghostbusters 84 would be with today's CGI. It used today's technology but still felt very much in that same universe. Practical effects help. The terror dogs looked awesome.

- I really like the tone. Reitman didn't try to completely recreate the tone of the original film(s) and this movie is better for it. It's like a mixture of early Spielberg and Ghostbusters. It's a "kids on bikes" movie and I dug that a lot.

- Oh hey, Olivia Wilde was Gozer. Neat.

- The end sequence absolutely wrecked me. I was not expecting to be that emotional. I went in completely spoiler free as well so I didn't see Ghost Egon coming at all. Had I read about it beforehand, I would've expected it to be cheesy and exploitive. But they nailed it. The effects were well done, so much so that I had to remind myself that Ramis died before this was even written. I didn't get any Grand Moff Tarkin vibes from this at all. I was a blubbering mess and I'm glad I watched it alone.

You know, writing this all out I'm realizing I liked it more than I thought. I'm going to rewatch 1 and 2 then revisit Afterlife again.

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:12 pm

Yeah the editing at times was a bit WTF. But it was tons of fun IMO.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:29 pm

I downloaded the 4K/Atmos version this morning, and am debating whether or not to make this a movie night movie. Not sure my daughter will enjoy it.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:30 pm

I downloaded the 4K/Atmos version this morning, and am debating whether or not to make this a movie night movie. Not sure my daughter will enjoy it.
How old is she? I think it's more kid accessible then either of the original 2 honestly.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:30 pm

She’s nine. Part of me wants her to see the original first, but I dunno.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:31 pm

Have they seen the originals? The first one is a prerequisite for sure. You could probably get away with skipping 2.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:49 pm

If she is 9 she can handle the original and I think it would keep her entertained. I think I first watched it at like 5 or so.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:50 pm

Like nocera said though watching the first is pretty necessary to watching Afterlife and having it connect things and make an emotional impact.

The 2nd one is not as bad as most people say it is but it's skippable. It has cool moments though.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:14 pm

lol.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:23 pm

lol.
They went back and added it as a digital download.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:37 pm

Fair enough. I figured it wasn’t included because it’s not part of that universe. It must have fans though. Bunch of weirdos.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:48 pm

I've still never seen it and never will. It doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:50 pm

YES. I'll pick up a physical copy once its released but today I sailed the high seas since there are finally good versions available. Ghostbusters is my favorite movie of all time so I was hesitant going in. Massive spoilers below.
Let's start with the issues I had:
- Blatant call backs with no real purpose such as "who you gonna call?" or the twinkie in the glove box. If you're going to hit me with nostalgia (which this movie is not afraid of at all) at least make it move the plot forward. For example, Phoebe using the old Ghostbusters commercial to contact Ray. That was a brilliant use of nostalgia/call back.

- The mini Stay Pufts. God damnit. Stay Puft only exists in the first film because Ray specifically tried to think of the most harmless random thing he could when Gozer told them to choose their destroyer. That entire sequence in Wal-Mart made very little sense. It's like Reitman or the studio thought they needed to sell little plush Stay Puft toys and thought they could make them this film's Porgs. Cut that sequence, have Grooberson get attacked somewhere else, and you improve the film immediately.

- This is technically a sequel to Ghostbusters 2 (they didn't Halloween this timeline) but there's basically no mention of 2 at all. Even the car is Ecto-1 not 1A. Would've been nice to see some shots of 2 when Phoebe was doing her research at least.

- The kid's are a bit too young. Again, McKenna Grace was very good so this isn't a knock on her performance at all but it seemed that her character was too smart, too calm, and too strong for somebody of her age. Same with Podcast, a character I assumed I would hate and ended up liking quite a bit. This is a nitpick for sure and I wouldn't sacrifice Grace just to get an older actor in the role but it did take me out of it a few times.

- Going along with the age of the kids, I'm not sure the film knows its target audience. Or more likely, they attempted to target two audiences: today's kids and adults who loved Ghostbusters when they were kids. The end sequence hit hard for me but I'm not so sure a kid would have the same reaction. Likewise the Stay Puft sequence felt like it was aimed at really young kids and I can't see adults enjoying it even ignoring my main beef.

Now the good stuff:

- This movie has legit laughs. Like it's actually funny in a way that 2016, despite being more of a traditional comedy, never was. It's not original films funny but that's to be expected. I also liked that it's not a straight up comedy. At its heart, this movie is a family drama with comedic elements.

- Can't say it enough, McKenna Grace is fantastic. I bought her being a Spangler immediately. I will watch her career with great interest.

- I didn't mind Finn Wolfhard at all. He was perfect in his role.

- The atmosphere of the town was spot on. It looked great, the townspeople were great, Shandor Mining, all of it. Great stuff.

- The effects were also very well done. It reminded me of what Ghostbusters 84 would be with today's CGI. It used today's technology but still felt very much in that same universe. Practical effects help. The terror dogs looked awesome.

- I really like the tone. Reitman didn't try to completely recreate the tone of the original film(s) and this movie is better for it. It's like a mixture of early Spielberg and Ghostbusters. It's a "kids on bikes" movie and I dug that a lot.

- Oh hey, Olivia Wilde was Gozer. Neat.

- The end sequence absolutely wrecked me. I was not expecting to be that emotional. I went in completely spoiler free as well so I didn't see Ghost Egon coming at all. Had I read about it beforehand, I would've expected it to be cheesy and exploitive. But they nailed it. The effects were well done, so much so that I had to remind myself that Ramis died before this was even written. I didn't get any Grand Moff Tarkin vibes from this at all. I was a blubbering mess and I'm glad I watched it alone.

You know, writing this all out I'm realizing I liked it more than I thought. I'm going to rewatch 1 and 2 then revisit Afterlife again.
Good stuff. I agree with most of it.

I was saying to myself, well this is almost over and here comes the Ghostbusters to save the day and sure enough they did. It was a ridiculous setup that they just showed up like that. I'm pretty sure I said out loud WTF, but like 20 seconds later, I didn't care. I don't know if that's a cheap shot at the audience, but again I ended up not caring how they did it, because by the time it was over, it worked out for me. I felt it.

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:08 pm

Don’t Look Up is super Ham Fisted so far but I don’t hate it.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:13 am

That tweet from Feig is hilarious. This was a TIL

robbiestoupe

Movie Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:23 am

Don’t Look Up is super Ham Fisted so far but I don’t hate it.
It was but we liked it. It almost seemed like a reboot of Idiocracy without calling it a reboot.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:42 am

Anyone watch The Lost Daughter?

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:33 pm

That tweet from Feig is hilarious. This was a TIL

1975? Gotta be fat-fingered.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:38 pm

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:42 pm

Good stuff here

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:46 pm

No s**t.

They included that, but not 2016? I've not seen either and don't have a dog in the hunt, but that's downright rude. Like, how many people involved with the '75 thing are even still around? Yet everyone from '16 has Twitters and can angrily @ you.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:48 pm

I read it as "Wouldn't it be funny if they included those two obscure "Ghostbusters" and still didn't include Feig's?" I don't think it's actually in the collection.