Movie Thread

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:09 pm

Martin Lawrence looks like he's wearing a cheap Martin Lawrence Halloween costume.

Jim

Movie Thread

Postby Jim » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:15 pm

Mike Lowery... that's me... Looowwwery... Mike...

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:15 pm

this is true, pretty much forgot to take off the costume from big mammas house, but it actually looks pretty damn good. I'm a big fan of Martin Lawrence (You So Crazy is one of my favorite standup specials) and will let this slide as long as he keeps making me laugh.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:01 pm

Red Sea Diving Hotel is a piece of **** movie.

Vaguely based on a true story, it's just bad. It reminded me of an 80s network movie (remember those?) with a few f-bombs and a couple of man butts.

Quite a cast and pedigree with Chris Evans, Ben Kingsley, Haley Bennett, and written and directed by Gideon Raff creator of Homeland.

Just pure shite.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:33 pm

Red Sea Diving Hotel is a good example of why Netflix will end up losing the streaming wars. Disney, HBO, Universal, CBS, WB, etc. all have back catalogs of content that people know, love, and want to watch. Netflix is trying to create that back catalog in real time and most of their original content, minus a few absolute stud winners, is forgettable garbage that nobody wants to watch now let alone in a decade and the company has just pissed money away on. Their side focus of acquiring foreign movies and TV shows as Netflix Originals has provided some quality content, but Americans hate reading so other than Canadian programming like Working Moms and Schitt's Creek, I don't think that stuff generates a ton of domestic views.

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:11 am

It: Chapter 2 was meh.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:19 am

Had no idea it was playing.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:07 am

None of the trailers for either movie have interested me. And the new Pennywise is just lame.

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:47 am

Had no idea it was playing.
Just opened last night.

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:53 pm

I'm as big of a Chappelle fan as you're going to find. This is the first time I have seen anything of his that didn't really make me laugh. He had about three real good jokes, but I equate it to listening to Seinfeld talk these days...he thinks he invented comedy, he's the decider of what's funny and not. Chappelle kinda gave me that vibe in this, it was a little bit preachy, a little bit contrived, the structure of his jokes were just, I don't know, out-dated, boxy, I don't know exactly the word I want...

That's his worst set since he became famous, and by no small margin.

Unrelated to me: I'm guessing a lot of jimmies were rustled on the social media machine by some of those jokes. I admire him willing to give that a try, but I don't think the jokes (mostly) were really worth what I assume to be a ton of blowback...

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:42 pm

I liked it more than his last Netflix specials. I didn't even watch beyond the first one, actually.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:50 pm

On this day, mikey and Tif shared a common take.

The subject matter of the material wasn't the problem. The problem was it just wasn't funny.

LeopardLetang

Movie Thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:05 pm

I agree too actually. I started a comment a day or two ago addressing that but got distracted.

While watching it the second time i pictured myself in the audience and got anxiety realizing i wouldn't be laughing. I smiled a few times and yes it was in the second half. I liked his mimicking a white guy with a gun strutting across his lawn and his wave. But yes despite really enjoying and appreciating his jokes they weren't laugh out loud funny i guess.

It's kind of two things. I prefer the well crafted clever comedian to one that gets me to laugh more which is weird. But it's also rare i laugh at a comedian when home alone on the couch so it was hard to judge if others would be laughing. That crowd sure was.

But i kept trying to memorize his jokes and structure the second time through so i was definitely impressed

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:41 am

Joker won the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:52 am

I love the commotion this movie is going to cause on social media. Snydercut fanboys clambering for a dark superhero movie are getting what they want and at the same time you are getting a 70s throwback talky drama with no CGI explosions. I don't think those two circles overlap much and they will have a hard time being on the same page.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:10 am

This looks so bizarre and my kind of thing. I'm guessing the wife will make it through maybe 10 minutes.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:11 pm

I love the commotion this movie is going to cause on social media. Snydercut fanboys clambering for a dark superhero movie are getting what they want and at the same time you are getting a 70s throwback talky drama with no CGI explosions. I don't think those two circles overlap much and they will have a hard time being on the same page.
I'm fully on board here. I've been vocal about my disdain for superhero movies, and my preference for Batman over all others from the comic book world specifically because he is really not a Super. To the extent I've seen any negative comments about the movie it is that the violence is pretty overdone (hence the hard R rating); but that's countered by what appears to be a completely bonkers 3rd act that has been leaving critics and audiences kind of gasping. (I think I know what the rumored plot twist is, which, if true, would be something of a letdown tbh)

Jim

Movie Thread

Postby Jim » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:33 pm

I'm fully on board here. I've been vocal about my disdain for superhero movies, and my preference for Batman over all others from the comic book world specifically because he is really not a Super. To the extent I've seen any negative comments about the movie it is that the violence is pretty overdone (hence the hard R rating); but that's countered by what appears to be a completely bonkers 3rd act that has been leaving critics and audiences kind of gasping. (I think I know what the rumored plot twist is, which, if true, would be something of a letdown tbh)

What's the plot twist? The Joker goes full "The Killing Joke" because Rutherford didn't trade Johnson during the off season?

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:46 pm

Don't want to spoil it (in case it actually is the twist in the movie). But I'll just say the rumor I've read casts Thomas Wayne in a different light.

LeopardLetang

Movie Thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:45 am

Can't believe i never saw Network before. It's awesome

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:22 am

Can't believe i never saw Network before. It's awesome
How mad are you that you never saw it until now?
:pop:

LeopardLetang

Movie Thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:38 am

Heh that took me three takes before i realized what you were getting at

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:40 am

Watched the prec ode flick Baby Face with Barbara Stanwyck and a young John Wayne. Babs was viscous. Loved it, very risque for 1933

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:23 am

Watched the prec ode flick Baby Face with Barbara Stanwyck and a young John Wayne. Babs was viscous. Loved it, very risque for 1933
The Pre-Code era of Hollywood has always fascinated me.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:43 am

The Pre-Code era of Hollywood has always fascinated me.
yes, very interesting stuff. Criterion channel just released a lot of Stanwycks pre code movies so that's a huge plus for me. Baby Face was so good. You literally had a crazy German guy at the bar telling her to ''Be strong! Use men to get the things you want!" based on Nietzche readings and the rest of the movie she has sex with men in order to get what she wants. It's very cool how they illustrated her sleeping up with a camera panning on a building set and every time she bangs, it pans up to next highest office. She is so good showing that bad girl attitude. One of my absolute favorite actresses.