Movie Thread

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:57 pm

I don't understand why an adult would willingly watch any of them.
Because Disney and Pixar (I know Moana isn't Pixar) are some of the very best storytellers in any medium.
well no. let's move on from moana for a sec and talk about frozen. that is a stupid, stupid story. i can go on if needed.

these movies are good because of catchy songs, dialogue that connects with children and adults and visually they are just out of this world amazing. the story telling is generally sh*t, actually.
Toy story disagrees

columbia

Movie Thread

Postby columbia » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:01 pm

I think the technology and resulting animation is impressive; no interest in music and storylines written for children.

shmenguin

Movie Thread

Postby shmenguin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:02 pm

I don't understand why an adult would willingly watch any of them.
Because Disney and Pixar (I know Moana isn't Pixar) are some of the very best storytellers in any medium.
well no. let's move on from moana for a sec and talk about frozen. that is a stupid, stupid story. i can go on if needed.

these movies are good because of catchy songs, dialogue that connects with children and adults and visually they are just out of this world amazing. the story telling is generally sh*t, actually.
Toy story disagrees
pixar is better - yes. "very best"...meh

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:03 pm

How Far I'll Go, We Know The Way, You're Welcome, Shiny, I Am Moana.... those are all fantastic songs.
The reprise of "I am Moana" towards the end of the film....right in the feels man. Every time.

shmenguin

Movie Thread

Postby shmenguin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:10 pm

really? aside from anything involving rapunzel's parents, i've never found any of these movies to be poignant that way. y'all can start circle jerking about the emotional impact of a young adult giving away his toy box though...

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:13 pm

really? aside from anything involving rapunzel's parents, i've never found any of these movies to be poignant that way.
Admittedly, only Moana. When my grandmother passed away, I remember standing outside that night and seeing a manta ray flying through the stars, with a bright blue trail behind it. So it has some special meaning.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:14 pm

Yeah Pixar is in a league of their own. You can argue that the Disney Animation Studios films are lacking but ever since Lasseter took over they've been on an upward trend.

*edit*
Aaaaaand I just wandered into the Political thread and saw that Lasseter is taking a leave of absence likely due to sexual allegations. This post is now very awkward.

shmenguin

Movie Thread

Postby shmenguin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:16 pm

Yeah Pixar is in a league of their own. You can argue that the Disney Animation Studios films are lacking but ever since Lasseter took over they've been on an upward trend.
despite tif's moana-based gymnastics routine, they don't operate under conventional story telling rules like pixar does. but they're making kids movies, so whatever. it just adds an asterisk when someone says they're "great movies" or however it's put. they're fun, visually magnificent, well written (dialogue-wise), they have catchy songs...but frozen can't be a great movie when there's no explanation for why they hid elsa's powers from her sister - something the foundation of the entire movie sits on. and it doesn't make one god damn lick of sense. that's a problemo.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:19 pm

I damn near cried at the end of Toy Story 3. Not ashamed.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:20 pm

I did. Not ashamed. Probably more to do with me thinking about my childhood and lost youth than anything else.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:20 pm

I wish I could say I "nearly" cried. That was an embarrassing time at the theater for me...

Miami Vice

Movie Thread

Postby Miami Vice » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:28 pm

Here's one for the unpopular opinions, but I've always hated Toy Story. Neither of the two main characters is the slightest bit likable. I know I saw [parts of] the other two but really didn't care.

Silentom

Movie Thread

Postby Silentom » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:43 pm

what is even going on at 5AF today

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:44 pm

Here's one for the unpopular opinions, but I've always hated Toy Story. Neither of the two main characters is the slightest bit likable. I know I saw [parts of] the other two but really didn't care.
The kid is annoying too.

grunthy

Movie Thread

Postby grunthy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:57 pm

really? aside from anything involving rapunzel's parents, i've never found any of these movies to be poignant that way. y'all can start circle jerking about the emotional impact of a young adult giving away his toy box though...

Up and Wall-E are pretty good stories.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:15 pm

- Grandma Tala knows no more than anyone else about their history, she's just willing to talk about it, because she's Chief Tui's mum and the village crazy lady and she can do what she wants. Not a gaffe.
why does she know more about THIS than anyone else? it's like looking to an 80 year old to learn more about dinosaurs.
- The 1,000 year thing is taken from a gap in the actual history of Polynesian wayfinding. They just up and stopped voyaging for 1,000 years. The writers thought it would be a good way to incorporate the story about Maui (also a real part of Polynesian history), and the Heart of Te Fiti being stolen as a way of explaining the gap. Also, demigod. Not a gaffe.
hey, cool - it's culturally accurate. never mind about Maui losing his god damn mind being alone for a millennium. my mistake. i'd also use the term demigod with caution. sure, his song had him doing all kinds of magical stuff. but in practice, he's big, strong, and can turn into animals. where was all that magic he used to control the damn sun and basically create earth. but who cares about consistency...
- Food... it's not like they don't show Sina helping Moana load the canoe with supplies before she departs or anything. And, it's also not like they aren't on the ocean, with its fish and stuff. Not a gaffe.
that's fine. i accept that a children's cartoon doesn't need to show such details to ground the story. no sarcasm. conceded.
- Hook.... we've got a shape-shifting demigod with a magical fish hook, maybe we should round up a few dozen guys in grass skirts and wooden boats to help us defeat the lava monster. Which would have the neat effect of killing the redemption story, and do nothing to pay off the character of Moana. It's sort of the reason why R2-D2 gets blasted at the end of SW. Not a gaffe.
better to leave it in the hands of a little girl with 5 minutes of sailing experience. this is what you're saying. hey fisherman who know what you're doing: stay home. she's got this. brave hunky island men: don't help, either. if we're operating under the premise of "all's well that ends well", then woopdee doo, it played out exactly right. but cutr the crap, tif. you and i both know that in a story that makes sense, they go back home to game plan before fighting the invincible monster.
- "We're dead soon" - The character defines himself solely by what he can do with the hook. He has not yet gotten to the point of seeing beyond the end of his own muscles, and he completes his journey when he challenges Te Ka 1:1 with no weapon. Not a gaffe.
uh huh. sure.
Each of these in turn evidences such a complete failure to follow the story a so-called 'kids movie' that it's almost funny. We're back to eddy's initial take of wondering if you've actually watched the movie.

Maui can't use any of his magic without his hook. That's kind of expressly stated in the dialog. Like out loud. "No magic hook, no magic powers."

The point of Moana going on - both when she sets out originally and towards the climax - is The Ocean recognized in her innate goodness someone who could recognize that same goodness in Te Ka. The idea was never to defeat the monster, it was to restore the Heart. Moana was the only one who would recognize where the heart belonged, and that they didn't need to fight Te Ka. They just had to remind her she was Te Fiti.

And regarding kids movies.... the belief is these things are so successful because they are kids movies with just enough grown up content to keep the adults amused and willing to buy tickets. But the reality is they are actually adult movies (teehee) with enough kiddie content to keep the younglings engaged.

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:18 pm

We took our kids to TS3 and I knew it would likely be the last "kids movie" we would be taking them to as they were "getting too old" for it. The theme of kids growing up and moving on hit me in soft spot at the time.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:20 pm

shmenguin

Movie Thread

Postby shmenguin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:32 pm

Is this related to tif's rationalization of "because movie - that's why"?

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:39 pm

You're suggesting that they go get an army to defeat the big monster....... who is actually the Mother Island at heart. Your idea is like Gandalf returning to Helm's Deep with the Riders, and joining the siege of Helm's Deep instead of fighting the Uruk Hai.

shmenguin

Movie Thread

Postby shmenguin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:49 pm

You're suggesting that they go get an army to defeat the big monster....... who is actually the Mother Island at heart. Your idea is like Gandalf returning to Helm's Deep with the Riders, and joining the siege of Helm's Deep instead of fighting the Uruk Hai.
#dennismillerpost

But yeah...I'm saying that they take Maui back and he turns into a shark or whatever in front of the village and then they say, "Ok. This is legit. The fate of the world hinges on getting this done so let's not leave this in the hands of a girl who can't even sail. Let's send a fleet to help however we can". You get the picture. Its worse for the narrative of course.

This isn't something that makes it a bad movie. It just makes it a great kids movie. And not a great overall movie.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:21 pm

#dennismillerpost

But yeah...I'm saying that they take Maui back and he turns into a shark or whatever in front of the village and then they say, "Ok. This is legit. The fate of the world hinges on getting this done so let's not leave this in the hands of a girl who can't even sail. Let's send a fleet to help however we can". You get the picture. Its worse for the narrative of course.

This isn't something that makes it a bad movie. It just makes it a great kids movie. And not a great overall movie.
Legit lol at the bolded part.

If the protagonist went back and got the cavalry every time they encountered something crazy, that would rule out like 3/4 of all movies ever. I'm sure you're the person that screams "WHY DIDN'T HE CALL FOR BACKUP?!" in every cop movie too, eh?

Silentom

Movie Thread

Postby Silentom » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:36 pm

Finally got out to see Ragnarok, tonight.

Silentom's new Official Marvel Movie Power Rankings:
1. Guardians of the Galaxy
1A. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
1B. Thor: Ragnarok
2. Irrelevant
3. Irrelevant
4. Irrelevant
5. Irrelevant
Etc, etc.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:38 pm

Finally got out to see Ragnarok, tonight.

Silentom's new Official Marvel Movie Power Rankings:
1. Guardians of the Galaxy
1A. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
1B. Thor: Ragnarok
2. Irrelevant
3. Irrelevant
4. Irrelevant
5. Irrelevant
Etc, etc.
Agree. Maybe switch 1a and b.

the wicked child

Movie Thread

Postby the wicked child » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:55 pm

Going to see Ragnarok on Friday. Can't wait. Never thought I'd say that about a Thor movie, but here we are.