Movie Thread

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:09 pm

So, um, Cena has a new movie coming out...

(NSFW)

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:13 pm

Yeah, not a fan of the other dude in that trailer. He's annoying.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:20 pm

So, um, Cena has a new movie coming out...

(NSFW)
That has potential to be funny, but yeah I don't like the casting of the other guy.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:37 pm

The Incredibles is one of my favorite animated movies of all time. I think only Moana is above it on ye liste.

Gonna be worth it just to hear Giacchino's score.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:43 pm

I'm not sure about this John Cena guy, he doesn't really fit in with other humans. He always looks out of place.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:10 pm

I'm not sure about this John Cena guy, he doesn't really fit in with other humans. He always looks out of place.
That's just because you can't see him.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:19 pm

That's just because you can't see him.
what kind of jim carrey **** is this ?

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:31 pm

Saw Moana. It was okay. Seemed a bit rushed somehow. The land of the monsters didn't fit. Maui wasn't likable and his path of redemption seemed contrived. No defining song. It was just okay. The ending to was whatevs. Oh the old the monster isn't the monster.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:33 pm

are you sure you watched Moana?

Silentom

Movie Thread

Postby Silentom » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:34 pm

huwat

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:37 pm

I can accept people that maybe don't like it as much as I do - it caught me at the perfect time in my life to really resonate. But to say Moana is 'okay' is to effectively publicly admit to having no soul. You're probably a ginger.

shmenguin

Movie Thread

Postby shmenguin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:37 pm

moana is just like frozen and tangled, where the story and the motives of the characters largely make no sense.

...but they're still fun. but "no defining song" seems objectively incorrect.

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:39 pm

Saw Moana. It was okay. Seemed a bit rushed somehow. The land of the monsters didn't fit. Maui wasn't likable and his path of redemption seemed contrived. No defining song. It was just okay. The ending to was whatevs. Oh the old the monster isn't the monster.
Finally somewhere here gets it.

This movie was meh.

Silentom

Movie Thread

Postby Silentom » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:39 pm

Monsters.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:40 pm

How Far I'll Go, We Know The Way, You're Welcome, Shiny, I Am Moana.... those are all fantastic songs.

shmenguin

Movie Thread

Postby shmenguin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:42 pm

nitpicky stuff...

- why does the old lady know anything? it's been a thousand years. she has no more street cred than anyone else
- also...1,000 years? a little much don't you think? maui would be freaking talking to volleyballs and beyond by that point.
- what did he eat all that time? does he eat? does moana eat? not much, supply-wise on that raft
- idea time...after you get maui's hook back, maybe head home and get reinforcements. do some fish hook magic shows and round some troops up.
- "hey it's ok it's ok we're dead soon". why are you dead? again - just go back home and regroup. take your time and stop jumping to conclusions.

...stuff like that. it's in all these movies. i don't care since they're designed for children, but they stop every single one of these from being great movies. they're trapped as great KIDS movies.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:57 pm

- Grandma Tala knows no more than anyone else about their history, she's just willing to talk about it, because she's Chief Tui's mum and the village crazy lady and she can do what she wants. Not a gaffe.
- The 1,000 year thing is taken from a gap in the actual history of Polynesian wayfinding. They just up and stopped voyaging for 1,000 years. The writers thought it would be a good way to incorporate the story about Maui (also a real part of Polynesian history), and the Heart of Te Fiti being stolen as a way of explaining the gap. Also, demigod. Not a gaffe.
- Food... it's not like they don't show Sina helping Moana load the canoe with supplies before she departs or anything. And, it's also not like they aren't on the ocean, with its fish and stuff. Not a gaffe.
- Hook.... we've got a shape-shifting demigod with a magical fish hook, maybe we should round up a few dozen guys in grass skirts and wooden boats to help us defeat the lava monster. Which would have the neat effect of killing the redemption story, and do nothing to pay off the character of Moana. It's sort of the reason why R2-D2 gets blasted at the end of SW. Not a gaffe.
- "We're dead soon" - The character defines himself solely by what he can do with the hook. He has not yet gotten to the point of seeing beyond the end of his own muscles, and he completes his journey when he challenges Te Ka 1:1 with no weapon. Not a gaffe.

You're picking nits for the sake of picking nits.

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:14 pm

His path to redemption was blah. He was alls about himself and only wanted to do something because again it was all about him being popular. And oh shoot he left, the hero is forging on anyway is sooooooooo heavy handed foreshadowing. The grandma literally saying, "I'm the crazy village lady." Was bad as well. The movie wasn't bad it was just very okay.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:24 pm

Monsters.

columbia

Movie Thread

Postby columbia » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:27 pm

I don't understand why an adult would willingly watch any of them.

Silentom

Movie Thread

Postby Silentom » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:27 pm

You'll understand when you've grown up.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:30 pm

columbia = heihei

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:36 pm

Because Disney and Pixar (I know Moana isn't Pixar) are some of the very best storytellers in any medium.

shmenguin

Movie Thread

Postby shmenguin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:46 pm

- Grandma Tala knows no more than anyone else about their history, she's just willing to talk about it, because she's Chief Tui's mum and the village crazy lady and she can do what she wants. Not a gaffe.
why does she know more about THIS than anyone else? it's like looking to an 80 year old to learn more about dinosaurs.
- The 1,000 year thing is taken from a gap in the actual history of Polynesian wayfinding. They just up and stopped voyaging for 1,000 years. The writers thought it would be a good way to incorporate the story about Maui (also a real part of Polynesian history), and the Heart of Te Fiti being stolen as a way of explaining the gap. Also, demigod. Not a gaffe.
hey, cool - it's culturally accurate. never mind about Maui losing his god damn mind being alone for a millennium. my mistake. i'd also use the term demigod with caution. sure, his song had him doing all kinds of magical stuff. but in practice, he's big, strong, and can turn into animals. where was all that magic he used to control the damn sun and basically create earth. but who cares about consistency...
- Food... it's not like they don't show Sina helping Moana load the canoe with supplies before she departs or anything. And, it's also not like they aren't on the ocean, with its fish and stuff. Not a gaffe.
that's fine. i accept that a children's cartoon doesn't need to show such details to ground the story. no sarcasm. conceded.
- Hook.... we've got a shape-shifting demigod with a magical fish hook, maybe we should round up a few dozen guys in grass skirts and wooden boats to help us defeat the lava monster. Which would have the neat effect of killing the redemption story, and do nothing to pay off the character of Moana. It's sort of the reason why R2-D2 gets blasted at the end of SW. Not a gaffe.
better to leave it in the hands of a little girl with 5 minutes of sailing experience. this is what you're saying. hey fisherman who know what you're doing: stay home. she's got this. brave hunky island men: don't help, either. if we're operating under the premise of "all's well that ends well", then woopdee doo, it played out exactly right. but cutr the crap, tif. you and i both know that in a story that makes sense, they go back home to game plan before fighting the invincible monster.
- "We're dead soon" - The character defines himself solely by what he can do with the hook. He has not yet gotten to the point of seeing beyond the end of his own muscles, and he completes his journey when he challenges Te Ka 1:1 with no weapon. Not a gaffe.
uh huh. sure.

shmenguin

Movie Thread

Postby shmenguin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:48 pm

Because Disney and Pixar (I know Moana isn't Pixar) are some of the very best storytellers in any medium.
well no. let's move on from moana for a sec and talk about frozen. that is a stupid, stupid story. i can go on if needed.

these movies are good because of catchy songs, dialogue that connects with children and adults and visually they are just out of this world amazing. the story telling is generally sh*t, actually.