Movie Thread

NAN

Movie Thread

Postby NAN » Mon May 02, 2022 10:39 am

I finally got the chance to watch it last night as well. Loved it. Definitely up there at the top of my favorite Batman movies. Maybe at the very top. It just felt different. Never felt like a superhero movie or even a "realistic" take on a comic character. It was long but it never felt long and I'm not sure what they could have cut to reduce the run time. Everything flowed pretty quickly and seamlessly. Was never really sold on John Turturro as a mob boss, but thought the rest of the cast was great. Pattinson was perfect for this dark, rage filled Batman and weirdo isolated Bruce Wayne. Looking forward to seeing how both characters evolve over the follow ups. Really enjoyed Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman (is she the tiniest human alive?). Thought the world building and character building were great. Loved that we're just dropped into Year 2 of the "Gotham Project". Great movie.
Yeah, I remember a lot of gripes with Pattinson as Batman, but I thought he played the character extremely well. Just well done overall IMO. All the actors were great. And can't believe Collin Farrell was the Penguin. Kravitz was a great Catwoman.

I agree that while long, there really wasn't anything you could cut out.

Looking forward to the next one. I think I read that there are plans to carve Batman out of the DC Universe and make his own with movies and HBO Max shows surrounding these characters. I think there is a show in the works with Farrell as the Penguin. I would much rather watch that than the entire DC Universe.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 02, 2022 10:40 am

I don't want another Joker-centric Batman. We've had enough of them.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon May 02, 2022 10:42 am

Hush and court of owls please

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon May 02, 2022 10:43 am

Watched Moonfall. It's not a good movie. I guess I had some fun with it, but even the kids were asking how much longer until it's over.

NAN

Movie Thread

Postby NAN » Mon May 02, 2022 10:57 am

Those were mentioned as key pieces in future Batman movies in this trilogy.

Court of Owls, Hush, Mr Freeze, and Calendar Man.

NAN

Movie Thread

Postby NAN » Mon May 02, 2022 10:59 am

Since 1989, hasn't there only been 2?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Movie Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon May 02, 2022 11:02 am

Watched The Adam Project over the weekend... definitely watchable. Nothing special and probably won't watch again, but worth the watch.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon May 02, 2022 11:03 am

I watched Sonic last night out of curiosity. It had some funny moments but was ultimately pretty lame

one of these video game movies I want the producers to go all in on trying to make it as faithful to the source material as feasibly possible. Honestly that’s why I liked the new Mortal Kombat; the characters get their random powers but they’re directly lifted from the games so it’s just fun. Though introducing the Cole character was lame

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon May 02, 2022 11:07 am

Those were mentioned as key pieces in future Batman movies in this trilogy.

Court of Owls, Hush, Mr Freeze, and Calendar Man.
Caught owl and hush from the movie. definitely some nods to long Halloween, felt like they used a bit of calendar man in riddler. Didn't see anything with Mr freeze

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Mon May 02, 2022 11:10 am

I watched Sonic last night out of curiosity. It had some funny moments but was ultimately pretty lame

one of these video game movies I want the producers to go all in on trying to make it as faithful to the source material as feasibly possible. Honestly that’s why I liked the new Mortal Kombat; the characters get their random powers but they’re directly lifted from the games so it’s just fun. Though introducing the Cole character was lame
I thought Silent Hill did a really good job of recreating the game atmosphere.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon May 02, 2022 12:13 pm

This looks good:

In related news, director and one of the stars of this film Olivia Wilde was at CinemaCon last week where she served child custody papers while on stage during a televised event. She is divorced from Jason Sudekis, who knew nothing about the delivery of said papers to his ex (and mother of his children) during a panel discussion. :shock:

LeopardLetang

Movie Thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Mon May 02, 2022 12:21 pm

Forgot that Guy Ritchie had done a new movie, it popped up on Netflix last night, The Gentlemen". Was quite the trip, and would definitely recommend. Hugh Grant as a slimy hustler and Colin Farrell as whatever that was, great. Definitely back to Snatch and Lock Stock style Ritchie films.
oh thanks. i did not know it was the guy that did those movies. now i'll watch it asap

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon May 02, 2022 12:24 pm

The Gentleman is great. I saw it in theaters and glad it was similar stylistically to Ritchie’s best

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon May 02, 2022 12:48 pm

Gentleman is great and I see he has an even newer movie called wrath of man? Anyone see that?

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 02, 2022 12:57 pm

This looks good:

In related news, director and one of the stars of this film Olivia Wilde was at CinemaCon last week where she served child custody papers while on stage during a televised event. She is divorced from Jason Sudekis, who knew nothing about the delivery of said papers to his ex (and mother of his children) during a panel discussion. :shock:
There are such questions.......... Surely this was not the process server's first attempt, right? I would hope this was not 'Plan A'. I also think it's odd for a plaintiff to be completely in the dark as to the plan; but perhaps being left out of the particulars is common. (e.g. "Ms Munn will be at CinemaCon this weekend; an entry ticket will cost a reimbursable $X, and that will allow me to gain access." is different than "I'm gonna serve her while she's on stage at CinemaCon."). Shyster obviously would be the subject matter expert here, but elements of this story seem equal parts believable, fishy, and lame.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri May 06, 2022 7:04 am

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 06, 2022 10:09 am

Do they even do 3D movies anymore?
Doctor Strange is playing in 3D at my local Regal theater. I'm probably going to see it on Monday, but in their RPX 2D theater.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri May 06, 2022 1:46 pm

Here we go

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 06, 2022 1:54 pm

what the **** did I just watch

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri May 06, 2022 1:57 pm

haha, sounds like a David Cronenberg movie to me.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon May 09, 2022 11:29 am

Let the dodinting begin. Loved the first one and am very excited for these

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 09, 2022 12:33 pm

Cinematically, yes. But he's still the Big Bad of Bats's Rogues Gallery, and features prominently in almost all other media depictions of the IP.

I think he's one of the top maybe 3 or 4 villains ever, and in the hands of great storytellers makes for the most compelling foil. It goes with my preference for depictions of the hero in the vein of "Batman wears a Bruce Wayne suit" rather than the other way around; it plays up the flip-side-of-the-same-coin nature of the characters much better than the cartoonish Keaton+Nicholson takes, which I never liked even as a high schooler when that film was released.

NAN

Movie Thread

Postby NAN » Mon May 09, 2022 1:02 pm

Cinematically, yes. But he's still the Big Bad of Bats's Rogues Gallery, and features prominently in almost all other media depictions of the IP.

I think he's one of the top maybe 3 or 4 villains ever, and in the hands of great storytellers makes for the most compelling foil. It goes with my preference for depictions of the hero in the vein of "Batman wears a Bruce Wayne suit" rather than the other way around; it plays up the flip-side-of-the-same-coin nature of the characters much better than the cartoonish Keaton+Nicholson takes, which I never liked even as a high schooler when that film was released.
:fist: Agree with all you said.

genoscoif

Movie Thread

Postby genoscoif » Mon May 09, 2022 3:02 pm

I just watched The Batman over the weekend and really, really liked it. It's not often that a 3 hour long movie doesn't seem like a 3 hour long movie, but this one definitely moved right along for me. I thought the cast was great, with just the right amount of 'over the top' that lets you know you're watching a depiction of a comic, not a 'real world' reimagining. RP is a great Batman, especially as a young, somewhat unstable, brooding Batman. I kept reading that peeps didn't like his Bruce, but I kinda looked at it as what Tif just said...RP played it as Batman wearing a Bruce Wayne suit, not the other way around. Villains were great. Catwoman was...purrrfect. Gordon was great. Gotham was dark. The fact that we got Detective Batman was awesome. The only slight gripe I had was the score...the songs were fine, but the volume at times was distracting. I'm sure it was on purpose...i just didn't care for it.

I'll probably watch it again, which is rare for me...especially for a 3 hour trip.

I also watched the deleted scene with the Joker. I'm kinda with Tif that we've seen a lot of the Joker and it'd be fun to go in different directions, but that deleted scene was amazing...if you can overlook the Silence of the Lambs parallel. Maybe don't feature him, but use him in that type of role. He could easily steal the movie with only 10 mins of screentime, though.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon May 09, 2022 3:53 pm

I think I'm in complete agreement with you. This is very much a Batman wearing a Bruce Wayne suit and it's a Bruce Wayne suit that's not particularly interested in existing. Very interested to see how that characterization evolves as Bruce realizes he can do good as himself and that his endless resources can help his mission as Batman.

I understand Joker fatigue, but Batman without Joker just isn't the same. I do like the idea of a background Joker. Small snippets of screen time, becoming more and more maniacal and deformed during his stay in Arkham. I don't expect them to be able to MCU the hell out of this and get more than three movies out of Pattinson as Batman, but I would love to see two more movies of character building featuring other villains, hope for Gotham at the end of a third movie, only for the movie to end with Joker escaping from Arkham and setting off a "final battle" scenario in a fourth movie.

Whether by design or just a production oversight, in the deleted scene there are paperclips in the folder that Bruce hands to "Unnamed Arkham Inmate" that are no longer there when he hands the folder back. Could already be setting the stage for his eventual escape.