Movie Thread

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:31 pm

Maybe because Shane black wrote it and just about all of his stuff is around Christmas time.
Correct.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:52 pm

just watched Lethal Weapon for the first time in like 20 years. How come there’s so much hoopla about Die Hard being a man xmas movie and not Lethal Weapon? LW is almost overtly a Christmas movie
*dramatically pushes chair back and rises up*

The plot of Die Hard is reliant upon it being a holiday party; you satisfy all the requirements for all the characters converging at that same point in time without the need for additional exposition. Its plot is more dependent on it taking place at Christmas than is It's A Wonderful Life.

The events in the plot of Lethal Weapon are not reliant on them happening at any particular time of year. Setting it at Christmas is nothing more than set dec. I've read a theory that it qualifies because of the themes of family and whatnot, but I find that vague and unconvincing.
Lethal Weapon opens with a Christmas song and ends with Christmas dinner along with several references to Christmas. Other than a Christmas party (which can happen several weeks before Christmas itself), Die Hard makes no reference to the holiday

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:56 pm

Watched Pig last night based on @mikey highest recommendation. I knew nothing about this sweet little melancholy movie going in and that's definitely the way to see it haha. Wife and I laughed a lot because anytime we thought something was going to happen, something weirder happened that made me say WTF is happening a lot. I kinda loved it. I think Cage did a really terrific job quietly walking around emotionally destroying people. Hope he gets nominations from this just because I want to hear him talk more like in the roundtable I posted yesterday.
I kind of loved it too.
Did you keep thinking it was going to go a different way? Hell, it even got a little dusty or something when I was watching
Holy crap, Pig was really good. My feels.
Small moment, but I was super uncomfortable when he was talking to the kid on the back steps. I figured a parent would show up and go nuts, because the optics (and reality, I guess) were bad.

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:14 am

just watched Lethal Weapon for the first time in like 20 years. How come there’s so much hoopla about Die Hard being a man xmas movie and not Lethal Weapon? LW is almost overtly a Christmas movie

The plot of Die Hard is reliant upon it being a holiday party; you satisfy all the requirements for all the characters converging at that same point in time without the need for additional exposition. Its plot is more dependent on it taking place at Christmas than is It's A Wonderful Life.

The events in the plot of Lethal Weapon are not reliant on them happening at any particular time of year. Setting it at Christmas is nothing more than set dec. I've read a theory that it qualifies because of the themes of family and whatnot, but I find that vague and unconvincing.
Lethal Weapon opens with a Christmas song and ends with Christmas dinner along with several references to Christmas. Other than a Christmas party (which can happen several weeks before Christmas itself), Die Hard makes no reference to the holiday
False. Hans Gruber tells Leo that Christmas is the time of miracles. The soundtrack has Christmas songs. Ho ho ho now I have a machine gun. I'm sure I'm missing others. McClain flies in because it's Christmas, etc.

We need to put this to rest regardless :lol:

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:04 am

Watched Pig last night based on @mikey highest recommendation. I knew nothing about this sweet little melancholy movie going in and that's definitely the way to see it haha. Wife and I laughed a lot because anytime we thought something was going to happen, something weirder happened that made me say WTF is happening a lot. I kinda loved it. I think Cage did a really terrific job quietly walking around emotionally destroying people. Hope he gets nominations from this just because I want to hear him talk more like in the roundtable I posted yesterday.
I kind of loved it too.
Did you keep thinking it was going to go a different way? Hell, it even got a little dusty or something when I was watching
Holy crap, Pig was really good. My feels.
Small moment, but I was super uncomfortable when he was talking to the kid on the back steps. I figured a parent would show up and go nuts, because the optics (and reality, I guess) were bad.
That was a very special talk about a persimmon tree. Was that before or after he yelled at some kid while enjoying a bike ride? Haha

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:22 am

Oh, yeah. I forgot how he erupts when taking the bike. :lol:

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:59 pm

False. Hans Gruber tells Leo that Christmas is the time of miracles. The soundtrack has Christmas songs. Ho ho ho now I have a machine gun. I'm sure I'm missing others. McClain flies in because it's Christmas, etc.

We need to put this to rest regardless :lol:
Jfc Weenie, referencing Christmas??????

To put a red sticker on this, name one plot-effecting decision a character makes in LW that's influenced by it being Christmas. The entire movie Die Hard happens because it's Christmas. That's actually the point I'm making, it being Christmas is so central to the story telling they don't even have to go out of their way to mention it (the "show, don't tell" axiom of screenwriting).

And the party in Die Hard is Christmas Eve, not this "weeks before" jibberish. The timing of the party is the central element to all the characters converging simultaneously.

Also, I have one of those "Ho-Ho-Ho Now I have a machine gun" shirts.

robbiestoupe

Movie Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:19 pm

Apollo 13 is an engineering movie.

To put a red sticker on this, name one plot-effecting decision a character makes in Love Actually that's influenced by engineers. The entire movie Apollo 13 happens because the mission was saved by engineers. That's actually the point I'm making, it being engineered is so central to the story telling they don't even have to go out of their way to mention it (the "show, don't tell" axiom of screenwriting).

The power supply issue in Apollo 13 is engineered, not this "MacGyver" jibberish. The execution of the engineering is the central element to Apollo 13 being a successful mission.

Also, I have one of those "I am an engeneer enginere engenere I am good at math" shirts.

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:21 pm

If a movie takes place during Christmas, it's a Christmas movie. Why complicate it further?

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:21 pm

After two years of waiting to see Antlers, I was disappointed.

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:47 pm

What is this movie? I could look it up, but I want the AT treatment.

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:50 pm

What is this movie? I could look it up, but I want the AT treatment.
A horror movie from Scott Cooper, produced by Guillermo de Toro about the
wendigo
wreaking havoc in rural Oregon. It isn't bad, but two years of covid delays let the hype build to unreasonable levels. It's a fine monster movie, just nothing special.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:10 pm

I thought that thing was more east coast and Canada than PNW. I mean, I'm not super invested in the lore or anything.

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:18 pm

Word. :thumb:

LeopardLetang

Movie Thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:11 pm

Suprised but I loved Don't Look Up. Definitely didn't always hit the mark. And it's hard to walk the line of characters acting farcical and still being engaging. That took me out a few times. But it's the kind of movie you can get right back into. And I thought the number of themes it hit pretty well was satisfying. I would have liked it better without the 2 post credit scenes.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:15 am

Tick tick boom was a very well done movie, but I'm continuing to find out that I have a tough time getting into John Larson's music

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:16 pm

Prior to the press around Tick, Tick...Boom! I didn't know Larson died the morning of the first off-Broadway preview of Rent.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:22 pm

Tick tick boom was a very well done movie, but I'm continuing to find out that I have a tough time getting into John Larson's music
I thought the best song in the movie was when he was riffing on the attendees of their party. While Rent suffers as an unfinished product due to his unfortunate death. I’ve never thought it was very good. I’d give it three solid songs and a lot of filler.

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:03 pm

I rewatched The Matrix and Reloaded recently. It really made clear why the 3rd movie and this newest one were very “Meh.”

The lack of well thought out, planned, and choreographed fight/action scenes.

The first movie is iconic. I don’t think we need details.

The second movie while suffering from the fleshing out of Zion IMO. Has some great action/fight scenes. The agents having “upgrades,” the endless Smiths, The entire Key Maker breakout, even the over the top condescending talk with the Architect felt like it meant something. Also, saw something that said it was a great choice to not nerf Neo and instead make his opponents stronger.

This newest installment had none of what worked in the first two movies. Nothing that was “cool” or stood out. No great fight scenes. Heck the story didn’t even make sense. It was just Neo force pushing and Doogie Hauser being a bad villain.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:12 am

I finally finished the last hour of the 3rd matrix movie after forgetting about it for a couple weeks. That's the way to watch it. Excited for the next one now.

Watched Shanghai Knights, I love these movies. Owen and Jackie are so good together

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:35 am

I made it about an hour into Don't Look Up before shutting it off.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:52 am

I watched two classics that I somehow missed this week. Unforgiven was not at all what I expected but thoroughly enjoyable.

Hot take alert: Shawshank Redemption is overrated as hell. Tim Robbins character is shallow and uninteresting. I like him better in hindsight after realizing that he's less of a real character and more of a vehicle for the allegory but that doesn't help when you're in the thick of the story for the first time. Overall it felt like a first time director who was afraid of disappointing King. The VO pulled directly from the story might be the worst offense of the film. It adds nothing except to tell the audience exactly what to feel. Which kind of goes along with the rest of the film in its heavy-handedness. The script, the score, the performances are all so heavy handed that I almost felt insulted as a viewer. If Darabont had more experience, he may have trusted his audience more (although his follow-up is Green Mile so maybe not). Oh and the ending(s)? Come on, man. Again a sign of an inexperienced writer/filmmaker in that he wrote several pages past his ending. Maybe if this movie hadn't been so hyped up for years (it's #1 on IMDB's top 250) I wouldn't have watched it with such a critical eye but man was that disappointing.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:09 am

Woof.

robbiestoupe

Movie Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:10 am

hot take? that's goes in the top of the bad take pile

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:22 am

Jesus. That’s a Jim level take.