Movie Thread

NAN

Movie Thread

Postby NAN » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:42 am

I don’t know if I can see rob lowe in any other way than his character from parks and rec
His character in St Elmos fire is a complete 180 from his character in Parks and Rec. :lol:

I'm probably going to watch The Outsiders next. Another one with those 80s Brat Pack cast. I've seen that one before, but it's been a LONG time.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:51 am

Cars 3 is pretty ****.
"Of all the Pixar films that I've watched..."

Never watched list for me: Cars 2 & 3, Brave

Can't speak on those three.
:thumb: That was more of a reply to NTP looking through all of Pixar films. Cars 2 and 3 are among the weakest. Monster's U is just as unnecessary but a better movie than either of the Cars sequels. Incredibles 2 is forgettable, but again, a better movie than the Cars sequels. Pixar is at their best when they're doing original stories, Toy Story sequels excluded.

Brave is pretty great but gets hate for some reason.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:55 am

Oh, I'm not arguing that Cars 3 isn't bottom tier Pixar. I think it was still good, though.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:25 am

I decided to watch The Color of Money for the first time last night. Pretty good. I'm a big Paul Newman fan but didn't realize he won an Oscar for that role. People say it wasn't a worthy successor to The Hustler but I think it's actually the easier watch, if maybe a little more shallow.

Tom Cruise really was/is a force. I can't picture anyone else delivering a performance with that specific kind of energy.

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:46 am

I don’t know if I can see rob lowe in any other way than his character from parks and rec
His character in St Elmos fire is a complete 180 from his character in Parks and Rec. :lol:

I'm probably going to watch The Outsiders next. Another one with those 80s Brat Pack cast. I've seen that one before, but it's been a LONG time.
I feel like the Outsiders transcends the "brat pack" label. that cast is a tour de force.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:58 am

Cruise was really good (from what I remember) in Taps, one of his earliest roles.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:00 am

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:28 am

What’s Cruise’s worst role?

I guess you can go with a corny film like Top Gun, but as batshit as the guy is, dude is one of the most charismatic people in Hollywood history

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:32 am

The Mummy. or Cocktail

NAN

Movie Thread

Postby NAN » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:34 am

Wasn't Eyes Wide Shut pooh? I can't remember.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:36 am

Wasn't Eyes Wide Shut pooh? I can't remember.
I didn’t think it was that bad but Cruise himself was pretty good in it

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:40 am

What’s Cruise’s worst role?

I guess you can go with a corny film like Top Gun, but as batshit as the guy is, dude is one of the most charismatic people in Hollywood history
To connect to the other conversation, maybe the Outsiders. Playing a complimentary character does not suit him

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Movie Thread

Postby meow » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:45 am

Mission Impossible II and/or the second Jack Reacher movie. Both are poop and he is poop in them

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:33 pm

Mission Impossible II and/or the second Jack Reacher movie. Both are poop and he is poop in them
MI2 is the best MI movie, so kindly go **** yourself you no good dirty Canaan

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:53 pm

I know an actor who asserts that Tom Cruise has never been objectively 'bad' in anything. He's been in bad movies, sure. But his performances have never themselves been bad. (He is quick to acknowledge the weakness of the 'accent work' in "Far & Away", but believes it doesn't detract from the overall body)

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:54 pm

Yeah, I couldn't come up with a time I thought his acting was bad. Dude just has it.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:56 pm

And while Cruise is certifiably insane (a characterization that a Scientologist with an aversion to the psycho sciences would probably object to out of principle moreso than inaccuracy), he has an earnestness and professionalism about his work that I honestly find admirable. He doesn't seem to take anything for granted, and he expects the people who work with him to deliver the same kind of commitment. (Hence the COVID bubble rant, which I actually applauded)

He also had people who walked ahead of him on the Paramount lot to tell the minions on their lunch break to not look at him as he passed by. So there is also that part to consider.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:02 pm

And while Cruise is certifiably insane (a characterization that a Scientologist with an aversion to the psycho sciences would probably object to out of principle moreso than inaccuracy), he has an earnestness and professionalism about his work that I honestly find admirable. He doesn't seem to take anything for granted, and he expects the people who work with him to deliver the same kind of commitment. (Hence the COVID bubble rant, which I actually applauded)

He also had people who walked ahead of him on the Paramount lot to tell the minions on their lunch break to not look at him as he passed by. So there is also that part to consider.
yeah, he seems to be reprehensible from a personal standpoint but also his dedication to the craft of films has been a gift to society

The stories about how anal he was about TG:M not using CGI, to have the actors fly in actual fighters and just otherwise be in peak physical condition for the dumb dogfight football scenes are both insane and incredible. And I think all helped TG:M become the absolute monster of a film that it is (despite your objections tif)

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:45 pm

And he only sort of kidnapped Katie Holmes and held her against her will for 6 months so that's good of him.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:48 pm

And he only sort of kidnapped Katie Holmes and held her against her will for 6 months so that's good of him.
I wouldn't consider Holmes to be classically sexy, but her in Thank You For Smoking...hoooo boy

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:53 pm

I wouldn't consider Holmes to be classically sexy, but her in Thank You For Smoking...hoooo boy
Watch The Gift.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:00 pm

"Tom Cruise held somebody against her will."

"Well, she's not classically sexy but her body is nice so I get it."

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:01 pm

And I think all helped TG:M become the absolute monster of a film that it is (despite your objections tif)
Nah, my objections are very unique to me. For whatever reason, I just can't do the 'suspend disbelief' thing with Top Gun (and I'm guessing w TG:M, still haven't seen it), so stupid things like Maverick being 100 years old with 40+ years active duty and still an O-6 on flight status (a test pilot! no less); or in the first one USS Ranger is in the western Pacific to start the movie but is visible in port at North Island in the background of some of the San Diego scenes only to be back WestPac for the climax, or that they're taking a fleet crew offline during a deployment to send them to school; make me roll my eyes so very hard. I'm overly critical.

It's just these movies, of course. I don't mind there being sound in space battles in sci-fi movies, or question how Jennifer Tilly 'wins' her divorce case in "Liar, Liar" despite doing so by proving she was underage when she wed and thus not legally married in the first place (I don't know if a common law situation would've arisen, but the movie is silent on either topic relying on the power of Tilly's cleavage to win the day). But Top Gun, noooooooooooooooope. Can't abide any of it. And it's super extra frustrating because they do a very credible job at getting a lot of small details right. The 'Linda Blair' turning your head around to keep visual contact, no other air combat movie has ever done that as well; or how they steal the jet at the end of the new movie, which is actually pretty accurate to how crews would get one of those things up and running when they were on a cross-country ferry mission and had to do a stopover at a civilian airfield and had no ground support (the behind enemy lines aspect notwithstanding, I've seen multiple ex Aviators say this was actually shockingly realistic, down to correct instrument crosschecks, which is very much lol).

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:01 pm

"Tom Cruise held somebody against her will."

"Well, she's not classically sexy but her body is nice so I get it."
hey he's a scientologist. I'm pretty sure it's a rite of passage to kidnap someone

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:34 pm

"against her will"

False

In Scientology, one does not have free will. So compulsion against one's will is illusory.