Movie Thread

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue May 16, 2023 3:52 pm

This looks fun. So many ride references in this trailer.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 16, 2023 6:32 pm

Yup, I'm all in on this. Certainly one of my favorite attractions, and the movie looks like a hoot.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Tue May 16, 2023 9:34 pm

A Man Called Otto was fantastic. Wife and I both loved it.
I cried at just about every flashback. Dead wife movies really mess with me. At one point my wife even commented how similar we are to Otto and Sonya. Gah.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 17, 2023 7:20 am

A Man Called Otto was fantastic. Wife and I both loved it.
I cried at just about every flashback. Dead wife movies really mess with me. At one point my wife even commented how similar we are to Otto and Sonya. Gah.
I can definitely picture you as Otto. :lol:

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 17, 2023 7:20 am

Another weird one with Josh Hutcherson? I'm game.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 17, 2023 10:27 am

Oh yeah, definitely going to watch this:

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Wed May 17, 2023 11:16 am

Wait this is the Jim Henson creature shop? I've never played the games but **** it, I'm in.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 17, 2023 11:16 am

Wait this is the Jim Henson creature shop? I've never played the games but **** it, I'm in.
Yes, and same.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Wed May 17, 2023 11:26 am

Source of the post @nocera All of the Indy films are heading to D+ at the same time as the TV show. I hope it's permanent, not some lease deal with Paramount+
Moving this from the TV thread. Paramount owns the distribution while Disney owns the IP and future film distribution. No clue if this change is permanent, but didn't the same thing happen with A New Hope?

Side note: Having recently rewatched all four, Crystal Skull is not nearly as bad as people say it is. Yes, even the nuke fridge. It deserves hate for the bad CGI and vine swinging. I'm not big on Mutt's character and especially not on him taking over the reins. But I really dig the first part of the movie before they get to the jungle. If the CGI wasn't so badly done and they stuck with more practical effects and stunts, I don't think it'd have the reputation it does... even with the exact same story and MacGuffin. (cue tif hating me).

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 17, 2023 12:04 pm

Distro rights for A New Hope were owned by 20th Century Fox, and were scheduled to transfer to Lucasfilm sometime in 2020. (Underlying IP rights for the film reverted to Lucasfilm sometime around the release of the Special Editions iirc) But Disney acquired the film & TV assets of TCF in 2019, making the IP transfer more internal bookkeeping. That brought all six of the Lucas-era SW movies in-house.

Look online for Jeffrey Boam's draft script for Indy IV to see what could've been if he hadn't unfortunately passed away.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 17, 2023 12:15 pm

Also, this type of deal was not contemplated when Disney acquired Lucasfilm in 2012. Paramount got a financial interest in any subsequent Indy developments, but streaming services weren't even a thought at the time. So I don't know if TWDC sweetened participation on Indy5, or if this was a straight license deal, or a combination of incentives, or how long the movies will be on D+. (the movies are still on P+)

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Wed May 17, 2023 3:38 pm

An original sci-fi movie? Awesome. Gareth Edwards? Awesome. Dream On cover? Meh.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed May 17, 2023 5:08 pm

hm the director/co-writer worked on Rogue One together

honestly seems interesting, particularly being an original story. hopefully it's more complex than just good humans vs bad robots

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Thu May 18, 2023 12:28 pm

I don't really know where to put this, certainly not in the Marvel thread. And there isn't a generic comic book thread, so...

Aside from some Archie comics when I was six years old I never read comic books. I've always been a fan of the Batman movies but always wanted to get deeper into the lore, particularly who these villains are and where they came from. In the movies you just kind of accept their existence and assume their motivations.

Looking into it last night there is 80 years of source material. The consensus seems to be to start with Batman Year One from 1987 and then there are a bunch of routes to go from there. So I bought that last night, for Kindle. Reading on the Kindle (on tablet, not PaperWhite) is interesting. You can advance the page via each individual cell, or the whole page. Pretty neat.

My interest was spurred by Channel Awesome's Bat-May series, which I watch despite never having been into the Batman animated series.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu May 18, 2023 12:32 pm

I've only read a few Batman stories. Year One, Killing Joke, and Dark Knight Returns. I don't really feel the need to dive any deeper than that as those pretty much nail it. By the way, I would've went with the Bibliophile thread but who gives a ****.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Thu May 18, 2023 12:35 pm

I see some references to graphic novels in there but I wasn't sure if this really fit.

I'm not sure if I'm correct, but I see stuff like The Walking Dead compendium to be on a higher tier than Batman-type stuff. Probably because it's a fully contained story whereas serial comics are open-ended by nature.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu May 18, 2023 12:48 pm

I don't really know where to put this, certainly not in the Marvel thread. And there isn't a generic comic book thread, so...
oh I didn’t realize the mods blocked you from making new threads :slug:

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu May 18, 2023 2:21 pm

The problem with trying to follow a comic book hero with 80 years of history is that they usually get re-written, retconned, whatever, every few years. Captain America was in Hydra for a bit a few years ago in one comic book timeline, but in the Avengers in another series of comic books (coming out at the same time). I'd get a Comixology trial or the DC equivalent and dig around a bit. Killing Joke, Year One, and Dark Knight Returns are good recommendations. Killing Joke is a movie, too. Mark Hamill as the Joker as well.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu May 18, 2023 2:22 pm

A little heavy on the panning CGI shots, but looks interesting. Apple TV+ film exclusively in theaters... :?

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 18, 2023 4:41 pm

Mark Hamill as the Joker as well.
Troy Baker did a good job imitating Mark Hamill for Arkham Origins a few years ago, and I think that game is underrated. But if most of us agree that Heath Ledger is S-tier, then Hamill is no lower than A-tier imo. There's a lot of overlap between The Animated Series and the Arkham video games (not least because there's so much voice talent carried over), but the differences are such that exploring both is worthwhile.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri May 19, 2023 9:32 am

Seeing some bad reviews for Indy 5 from Cannes. Ugh.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat May 20, 2023 7:55 pm

Super Mario Movie was decent, I'd give it a 7.5/10.

They should have hired Nick Di Paolo to voice Mario instead of having Pratt do a Di Paolo impression for 90 minutes.

One thing that took me out of it was the music they chose. It was like they thought 'hey, there is going to be a lot of kids here, we need to throw something in for the boomers to keep them occupied' so they peppered in these tracks which were out of place in this setting:

‘Holding Out For A Hero’ – Bonnie Tyler
‘Take On Me’ – A-ha
‘Thunderstruck’ – AC/DC
‘No Sleep Till Brooklyn’ – Beastie Boys
‘Mr Blue Sky’ – Electric Light Orchestra

Given the rich musical history of the franchise, and how much great gaming inspired music is out there, these tracks felt really, really lazy. And that's not even considering how long of a leash they gave Jack Black in this.

Minor critiques aside it was a good time. Enjoyed the trailer for Migration, we'll check that out when it comes to streaming. The Ninja Turtles movie looks bad.
We watched this for family movie night, and I agree with the above.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Sat May 20, 2023 8:19 pm

The best explanation I have heard is that Nintendo is still gun shy from the first SMB movie so they played it painfully safe with this one.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Sat May 20, 2023 10:19 pm

Seeing some bad reviews for Indy 5 from Cannes. Ugh.
Yeah reviews are meh at best. Hopefully this is one of those low critic scores/high audience score films.
https://reddit.com/r/movies/comments/1 ... ny_review/

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sun May 21, 2023 9:14 am

A little heavy on the panning CGI shots, but looks interesting. Apple TV+ film exclusively in theaters... :?
Looks fantastic. Book is so good