Movie Thread

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:42 am

Wow. I'm kind of shocked at how awesome that looks. DC finally made the right call shelving Leto's Joker and removing him from the Suicide Squad sequel that's actually not a sequel but not technically a reboot.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:45 am

Wow. I'm kind of shocked at how awesome that looks. DC finally made the right call shelving Leto's Joker and removing him from the Suicide Squad sequel that's actually not a sequel but not technically a reboot.
Well, set pics from the Birds of Prey movie....

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:50 am

:face: Idiots.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:51 am

I thought I read somewhere that Joaquin filmed his Joker for a different movie too? At this point, WB should just crank out as many different universes as possible so they cover all the bases of fans who are enjoying/dodinting and when they finally get a good one, have them all in a movie and the bad ones get killed and we can move on.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:00 am

Or they could just stop trying to copy Marvel and instead focus on making unique single-character stories. A multi-verse is going to confuse the **** out of the general public.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:02 am

Source of the post Or they could just stop trying to copy Marvel
yeah, they are a mess, but this looks like exactly what you are asking for. hopefully a step in the right direction. Get this next Batman movie figured out and you got a solid Aquaman, WW, hopefully Joker and then we are on our way

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:06 am

Totally and that's why I'm all in on it. Nolan gave them the answer on how to compete with Marvel 10 years ago but for some reason (money) DC/WB didn't want to listen. Get a talented filmmaker, give them a character (of course it's much easier when that character is Batman or Joker) and let them make the movie they want to make.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:28 am

Or they could just stop trying to copy Marvel and instead focus on making unique single-character stories. A multi-verse is going to confuse the **** out of the general public.
Oh they're already gonna confuse the **** out of the general public. Aquaman barely references the DCEU and the events of Justice League. Shazam (apparently) makes it known that Batman and Superman are big deals within the universe it exists. Birds of Prey takes place after Suicide Squad and based on set pictures at least briefly features Leto's terrible Joker and uses at least three more characters that originated in various Batman series. Wonder Woman 1984 is apparently "not a sequel", kind of but not exactly a reboot. Similarly, The Suicide Squad is not a sequel, kind of a reboot, that will feature Viola Davis returning as Amanda Waller, Margot Robbie returning as Harley Quinn, Jai Courtney returning as Captain Boomerang, and a recast (but same character) Deadshot.

This is all going on while an unconnected Joker movie that takes place in 1981 is released six months before the next DCEU movie and an unconnected, Affleck-free Batman movie is being produced.

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:52 am

I saw a TV commercial for Shazam yesterday that said something like, "The greatest superhero movie since last month!" I laughed because, as someone who can't stand all of these comic book movies, it's so true. It seems like there's a new one every other weekend. And my local theater usually plays it in 3 screens for the first 3 weeks so they basically tie up 30% of their screens all the time with comic book crap.

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:01 pm

I just imagine the offices where DC is made where a meeting goes. “We need to be like Marvel! I want a plan on my desk in a week nerds!” *one week later a beautiful slow burn plan with world and character building is given to the executive* “What the **** is this? I said I wanted to be like Marvel. I meant NOW not in bum-**** 10 years that you laid out.” ... “What do you mean it takes time. You’re our voice for those hapless dorks that like this stuff. Just make it big and flashy, they’ll eat it up. Oh and put boobs in it. Those virgins won’t be able to resist.” *Movies come out and flop or underperform* *cycle repeats*

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:05 pm

I cannot wait for the superhero fad to die, preferably in the fire of 1000 suns.

Still can't get past the John Wayne Gacy look of the Joker makeup. And I'm not sure the Phoenix take is on point; the whole deal of the Killing Joke is the 'one bad day' trope. They are setting this Joker up to be 'one bad life'. (And oh by the way, also incest) That makes Joker far less scary imo. The reason he's so great as a bad guy is he could be anyone, there isn't anything really remarkable about him.... except his mania, which was brought about by circumstances that were entirely pedestrian. (I mean, there's no canonical Grand Unified Origin Story for Joker, so perhaps I'm putting too much into rolling with the stories that are sort of shared by the Nolan movie and the Arkham video game series, which together represent the best takes yet on the character imo)

I want the movie to be good, I really do. In part because Batman and his Gallery of Rogues aren't supers, and I want non-superhero stories to take back movie studios. But also because Joker is in his own right a stupendously rich character, and so far they've only gotten him right cinematically exactly once.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Movie Thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:13 pm

If they don't get William Dafoe as The Joker at least once...

Jim

Movie Thread

Postby Jim » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:52 pm

I disagree. This trailer looks like an artsy-crap version. It looks like you could watch the last 15 minutes of the movie and not actually miss anything of value, much less anything of entertainment.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:58 pm

The scenes with his mom make me uncomfortable. I dunno, it looks intriguing but they are hard to trust.

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:55 pm

Oh they're already gonna confuse the **** out of the general public. Aquaman barely references the DCEU and the events of Justice League. Shazam (apparently) makes it known that Batman and Superman are big deals within the universe it exists. Birds of Prey takes place after Suicide Squad and based on set pictures at least briefly features Leto's terrible Joker and uses at least three more characters that originated in various Batman series. Wonder Woman 1984 is apparently "not a sequel", kind of but not exactly a reboot. Similarly, The Suicide Squad is not a sequel, kind of a reboot, that will feature Viola Davis returning as Amanda Waller, Margot Robbie returning as Harley Quinn, Jai Courtney returning as Captain Boomerang, and a recast (but same character) Deadshot.

This is all going on while an unconnected Joker movie that takes place in 1981 is released six months before the next DCEU movie and an unconnected, Affleck-free Batman movie is being produced.
I understood absolutely none of this.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Movie Thread

Postby LITT » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:43 pm

den of thieves was enjoyable albeit predictable

birdbox just ripped off a quiet place, right?

MrKennethTKangaroo

Movie Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:19 pm

den of thieves was enjoyable albeit predictable

birdbox just ripped off a quiet place, right?
bird box was based on a book written in 2014.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Movie Thread

Postby LITT » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:34 pm

a quiet place just ripped off the bird box book, right?

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:34 pm

That wasn't the question.

Bird Box protagonist in the book was in her early 20s. deadhorse.gif

The movie took liberties with the source material.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:54 pm

I cannot wait for the superhero fad to die, preferably in the fire of 1000 suns.

Still can't get past the John Wayne Gacy look of the Joker makeup. And I'm not sure the Phoenix take is on point; the whole deal of the Killing Joke is the 'one bad day' trope. They are setting this Joker up to be 'one bad life'. (And oh by the way, also incest) That makes Joker far less scary imo. The reason he's so great as a bad guy is he could be anyone, there isn't anything really remarkable about him.... except his mania, which was brought about by circumstances that were entirely pedestrian. (I mean, there's no canonical Grand Unified Origin Story for Joker, so perhaps I'm putting too much into rolling with the stories that are sort of shared by the Nolan movie and the Arkham video game series, which together represent the best takes yet on the character imo)

I want the movie to be good, I really do. In part because Batman and his Gallery of Rogues aren't supers, and I want non-superhero stories to take back movie studios. But also because Joker is in his own right a stupendously rich character, and so far they've only gotten him right cinematically exactly once.

Right or wrong, I'm glad there are different interpretations of Joker on film. I'd be pretty annoyed if we just got some different actor doing their best to impersonate someone else's performance. I'm all in to see this what this Scorsese Joker can do.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:56 pm

It's befitting the character, too, because there is not one Joker even in the comics. (And I don't just mean from a design/art perspective)

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Movie Thread

Postby Spangler » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:19 pm

Mark Hamill is still my definitive Joker. The Arkham games really unleashed his full potential with the character.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:57 pm

This would be awesome, wish I didn't have so much responsibility

https://www.showclix.com/event/a-magor- ... m-berenger

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:19 pm

Mark Hamill is still my definitive Joker. The Arkham games really unleashed his full potential with the character.
Ledger is my #1. Hamill is #2. Troy Baker gets a nod for doing what amounted to a (very good) Mark Hamill impression in Arkham Origins, which is actually my favorite game in the series. Troy got to do The Killing Joke monologue (which I've heard him do in person, and it's effin' scary as sht) and he straight up killed it.

Everyone else imo has played the role as someone who doesn't like comic books' idea of a 'comic book character'.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:50 pm

This would be awesome, wish I didn't have so much responsibility

https://www.showclix.com/event/a-magor- ... m-berenger
Man I would definitely attend that. It looks like they've only sold like ten tickets, and the event is next week?!