https://a.co/d/8SwXHXz

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:37 pm

how the **** are you younger than me

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:44 pm

I usually just use an old cheap boom box, but I don't feel like buying all the batteries, just thought it would be easier if I could get the station on my phone and then Bluetooth it to my Sonos move. Oh well, thanks anyways

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:45 pm

I have a Uniden Bearcat (that I can't seem to find at the moment).

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:47 pm

This all reminds me how I love the drive-in experience but it really is a terrible way to watch a movie.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:47 pm

I've never been to one, and think it'd be pretty neat to experience at least once.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:50 pm

R-rated movies at drive-ins were a hoot.

I guess I mean R-rated movies near drive-ins were a hoot.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:51 pm

It's definitely fun. I used to go a lot more when the Winter Drive In existed in my home town. I have a lot of fond memories of going to the drive in. But the actual experience of watching a movie either in your car or sitting outside your car with some busted ass boom box is less than ideal.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:51 pm

This all reminds me how I love the drive-in experience but it really is a terrible way to watch a movie.
It really is, we even got a new digital projector last year so the video is pretty decent, but they still have the side speakers you hook on your car which are cool but sound like it's coming from inside a tin can. My problem is I always forget about this until the day of and then scramble with aux jacks, speakers, ac converters, etc. I should just buy a portable Bluetooth speaker with fm built in and be done with it

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:55 pm

Haha, I was going to post that my favorite drive-in technically isn't a 'drive'-in. It's seeing movies at the Hollywood Forever cemetery, projected on the side of one of the mausoleums. You stop at Trader Joe's on Santa Monica and load up on supplies, and have yourself a grand old picnic while you watched some classic. I just checked the lineup and this weekend's feature is................. Showgirls.

lol

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:11 pm

Haha, I was going to post that my favorite drive-in technically isn't a 'drive'-in. It's seeing movies at the Hollywood Forever cemetery, projected on the side of one of the mausoleums. You stop at Trader Joe's on Santa Monica and load up on supplies, and have yourself a grand old picnic while you watched some classic. I just checked the lineup and this weekend's feature is................. Showgirls.

lol
Yeah that's a fun time. I wish I went more when I was there. We went for Pee-Wee's Big Adventure and Close Encounters. The sound is much better than a typical drive-in experience.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:14 pm

The story of the first D&D movie is kinda hysterical. Took like a dozen years to fund, develop, and produce, only for them to complete the film with out any U.S. distribution. It was an objectively s**t movie, but New Line had just invested $300 million in Lord of the Rings and didn't want any threat to that investment. So for a paltry $[small number] million they acquired the D&D distribution rights - and, crucially, the sequel and merch rights - and promptly let the film loose to die.

It wasn't that they were worried about competition. The film was so bad they were worried about it damaging interest in the entire genre. A condition of the rights acquisition was a theatrical release, so New Line did that and little else to promote the film. They didn't exploit the sequel rights until after LOTR had run its course, and at that they went DTV with it.
Because of this post, I read the wiki (and watched the trailer; you'll never be forgiven) for the 2000 Dungeons and Dragons movie. What a **** show of a production but the best part was this AICN article it referenced.

http://legacy.aintitcool.com/node/6675
Hey folks, Harry here.... According to Variety New Line Cinema has picked up the domestic distribution for DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS.... Obviously... this will now play into the pre-hype for LORD OF THE RINGS, which they will inevitably attach a special trailer to this film for release. This is an example of smart thinking on the part of a studio... locking up the only similar themed project on the horizon, then releasing it so it can tap the entire fan base for their larger investment item.... LORD OF THE RINGS...
**** Harry Knowles. What a knob

Also, so many ellipsis that I'm 100% certain that mikey is Harry.

tjand72

Movie Thread

Postby tjand72 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:03 pm

It really is, we even got a new digital projector last year so the video is pretty decent, but they still have the side speakers you hook on your car which are cool but sound like it's coming from inside a tin can. My problem is I always forget about this until the day of and then scramble with aux jacks, speakers, ac converters, etc. I should just buy a portable Bluetooth speaker with fm built in and be done with it
If you have an old iPod or other mp3 player laying around, many of them receive FM. I use my old SanDisk Sansa Clip and connect it to my Anker speaker with the 3.5mm input. I use that as my "main" speaker next to me, but I also put down all of my widows and just crank up the car radio.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:34 pm

The story of the first D&D movie is kinda hysterical. Took like a dozen years to fund, develop, and produce, only for them to complete the film with out any U.S. distribution. It was an objectively s**t movie, but New Line had just invested $300 million in Lord of the Rings and didn't want any threat to that investment. So for a paltry $[small number] million they acquired the D&D distribution rights - and, crucially, the sequel and merch rights - and promptly let the film loose to die.

It wasn't that they were worried about competition. The film was so bad they were worried about it damaging interest in the entire genre. A condition of the rights acquisition was a theatrical release, so New Line did that and little else to promote the film. They didn't exploit the sequel rights until after LOTR had run its course, and at that they went DTV with it.
Because of this post, I read the wiki (and watched the trailer; you'll never be forgiven) for the 2000 Dungeons and Dragons movie. What a **** show of a production but the best part was this AICN article it referenced.

Hey folks, Harry here.... According to Variety New Line Cinema has picked up the domestic distribution for DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS.... Obviously... this will now play into the pre-hype for LORD OF THE RINGS, which they will inevitably attach a special trailer to this film for release. This is an example of smart thinking on the part of a studio... locking up the only similar themed project on the horizon, then releasing it so it can tap the entire fan base for their larger investment item.... LORD OF THE RINGS...

At the time Jeremy Irons pretty much openly told anyone who would listen he did the movie to collect a quick paycheck to fund a big home renovation he was undertaking.

And now, here we are again 20+ years later and there's another D&D movie coming out near the release of a major Tolkien adaptation.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:39 pm

The Gray Man was better than expected. Not a deep film to be sure, with its share of Bay-esque fireballs and flipping cars, but quite entertaining.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:42 am

Have you listened to this yet?

https://open.spotify.com/show/6vzHBq05MoWYPJhpWE6Pev

The rise and fall of Harry Knowles

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:46 am

Picked up a G-Boom 3 speaker from Walmart after realizing the kids broke the old boom box for the drive in. 8 hour rechargeable battery, digit FM tuner, worked out fantastic. Enjoyed the new minions movie, but I like all of those weird flicks. Wasn't sold on The Bad Guys, might watch again when I'm not so tired since the kids loved the books.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:11 am

I'll have to give that a listen. Do they cover his Phantom Menace review? I still enjoy going back and reading that bought and paid for drivel.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:20 am

I'll have to give that a listen. Do they cover his Phantom Menace review? I still enjoy going back and reading that bought and paid for drivel.
I have not listened to it yet, but is supposed to be very good. It's in the queue

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:27 pm

For some reason I have been watching Mr. Magoriums Wonder Emporium. Did Dustin Hoffman make a movie about Rain Man growing old? What a bizarre acting performance.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:51 am

If you know the story of Emmett Till, you know this is going to be a tough watch. I hope the filmmaker doesn't shy away from it.

Also, seeing the Orion logo is insanely nostalgic.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:56 am

I am glad they are telling his story, but I have absolutely zero interest in watching it.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:57 am

I am glad they are telling his story, but I have absolutely zero interest in watching it.
I think this is more for the (assumedly) large percentage of Americans who don't know his story.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:04 pm

Yeah, that will be a tough watch. Much like 12 Years a Slave.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:20 pm

I think this is more for the (assumedly) large percentage of Americans who don't know his story.
:thumb: