Movie Thread

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:10 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/03/opin ... angry.html

Uma’s story about Harvey is creepy and upsetting but unfortunately expected by now. Her Quentin stories make me think he’s the next person who’s going to go down. Also that crash footage is insane.
This article is all over the place. Conflating the crash with the #metoo movement seems not super constructive. the assault she experienced as a 16 year old also doesn't seem to fit, narratively, either. But it had to be included to credentialize the article. Without that story, this isn't meaty at all.

I dunno...this is an article about a studio forcing one of their top assets into a dangerous situation for some reason. It's not about Harvey Weinstein.
I agree. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. The fixation on the crash stuff veers way off course, even if it is abusive behavior by a director. There's been far worse in Hollywood.

That crash footage is certainly gnarly though.

shmenguin

Movie Thread

Postby shmenguin » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:42 am

Selma Hayak's interview was similar. She ticked the box at the beginning with a Weinstein story then spent the bulk of the article just complaining about the sucky parts of making movies.

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:28 am

Uma’s story about Harvey is creepy and upsetting but unfortunately expected by now. Her Quentin stories make me think he’s the next person who’s going to go down. Also that crash footage is insane.
This article is all over the place. Conflating the crash with the #metoo movement seems not super constructive. the assault she experienced as a 16 year old also doesn't seem to fit, narratively, either. But it had to be included to credentialize the article. Without that story, this isn't meaty at all.

I dunno...this is an article about a studio forcing one of their top assets into a dangerous situation for some reason. It's not about Harvey Weinstein.
I agree. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. The fixation on the crash stuff veers way off course, even if it is abusive behavior by a director. There's been far worse in Hollywood.

It would be an interesting movie, albeit somewhat derivative.

Ugly older director casts ingenue. She stars in several films for him. He falls in love while she marries a leading man.

She refuses the producer, director defends her honor, she rebuffs director except for occasional unshod foot.

He attempts to kill her while making a film.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:57 pm

New Cloverfield movie that was shown during the Superbowl for the first time is premiering tonight on Netflix after the game.

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:10 pm

Phantom Thread is a solid slow-burn. Very restrained, with most everything simmering just below the surface. Johnny Greenwood's score is phenomenal -- I recommend downloading "House of Woodcock" in particular. This along with Blade Runner 2049 are my two good "mood movies" for the year, in that many elements of the plot seem secondary to the way in which they're presented, and you leave not dwelling as much on specific plot points as you are just sifting through whatever state-of-mind you're in.
Quite a tough movie to get your head around, I thought the humor was great. The climax was a trip, but couldn't really tell what the point was

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:53 pm

New Cloverfield movie that was shown during the Superbowl for the first time is premiering tonight on Netflix after the game.
What a baller move from Netflix. Excited to watch it.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Movie Thread

Postby LITT » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:08 am

wind river was good. struggled with the fbi agent but i suppose she is supposed to be a neophyte and executed that well?

Miami Vice

Movie Thread

Postby Miami Vice » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:10 am

What a baller move from Netflix. Excited to watch it.
There was a rumor they were going to do this with Punisher after showing the first episode at the NY Comic Con, but that happened the same week as the Vegas concert shooting.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:43 am

didn't see this last night, but this looks good. Looks to weigh on more on the horror side of things

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:46 am

I thought for sure the raptor in a child's bedroom was a nightmare sequence. Then Chris Pratt shows up in the same bedroom to fight the thing. jfc...

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:47 am

"Something's coming! *stands directly in front of the dark tunnel*"
I'll still watch it.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:11 am

Dr. Ian Malcolm is in it. Everyone in the world will see the movie.

Viva la Ben

Movie Thread

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:13 am

That new cloverfield movie was a slight notch above the rediculous movies pumped out on SyFy. Supposedly a four movie has already filmed and held for the fall.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:32 am

That new cloverfield movie was a slight notch above the rediculous movies pumped out on SyFy. Supposedly a four movie has already filmed and held for the fall.
That's disappointing. I really liked 10 Cloverfield Lane and had high hopes for this one.

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:03 pm

Phantom Thread is a solid slow-burn. Very restrained, with most everything simmering just below the surface. Johnny Greenwood's score is phenomenal -- I recommend downloading "House of Woodcock" in particular. This along with Blade Runner 2049 are my two good "mood movies" for the year, in that many elements of the plot seem secondary to the way in which they're presented, and you leave not dwelling as much on specific plot points as you are just sifting through whatever state-of-mind you're in.
Quite a tough movie to get your head around, I thought the humor was great. The climax was a trip, but couldn't really tell what the point was
Right? Yeah, I'm not sure there really was a "point" to be made, honestly. More of a "come along for the ride" type of experience, I think.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:56 pm

I thought for sure the raptor in a child's bedroom was a nightmare sequence. Then Chris Pratt shows up in the same bedroom to fight the thing. jfc...
I cringed when I saw that scene. It's like they are trying to make Insidious into a dinosaur movie.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:03 pm

Does the world need a Mamma Mia sequel?

I say no. No, it doesn't.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:31 am

QT responds

http://deadline.com/2018/02/quentin-tar ... ssion=true

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:33 am

I think it's a solid response from him. Definitely paints Maureen Dowd as writing the Uma article with an agenda to push.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:48 am

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:02 am

I was hoping they would get Uma's followup in that same article. Quentin can speak until he's blue in the face (and he will) but it doesn't really matter if Uma doesn't back up his response. She did post this on her instagram:
ithurman: i post this clip to memorialize it’s full exposure in the nyt by Maureen Dowd.
the circumstances of this event were negligent to the point of criminality.
i do not believe though with malicious intent.
Quentin Tarantino, was deeply regretful and remains remorseful about this sorry event, and gave me the footage years later so i could expose it and let it see the light of day, regardless of it most likely being an event for which justice will never be possible.
he also did so with full knowledge it could cause him personal harm, and i am proud of him for doing the right thing and for his courage.
THE COVER UP after the fact is UNFORGIVABLE.
for this i hold Lawrence Bender, E. Bennett Walsh, and the notorious Harvey Weinstein solely responsible.
they lied, destroyed evidence, and continue to lie about the permanent harm they caused and then chose to suppress.
the cover up did have malicious intent, and shame on these three for all eternity.
CAA never sent anyone to Mexico.
i hope they look after other clients more respectfully if they in fact want to do the job for which they take money with any decency.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Be0x6OCFRwQ ... y=ithurman

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:06 am

You'd think a reincarnated goddess could string together a few coherent sentences.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:24 am

You'd think a reincarnated goddess could string together a few coherent sentences.
Who has time for sentences when you're busy goddessing?

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:57 pm

Embargo lifted on Black Panther reviews. It's getting some stellar reviews. The rare four star review from Peter Travers.

Silentom

Movie Thread

Postby Silentom » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:01 pm

The revolution will not be televised.