Movie Thread

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:18 pm

Every third post on my Facebook feed is the new Top Gun trailer.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:56 pm

Every third post on my Facebook feed is the new Top Gun trailer.
Welcome to the life of someone that just wants to be left alone by the Star Wars crowd.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:54 pm

The Lion King was average at best. Young Simba was really good, as was - surprisingly - Seth Rogan and Billy Eichner. Glover was meh, and Beyoncé was uninspiring. The speech CGI was also trash, confirming earlier reviews. Glad I didn’t pay up for IMAX for this one.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:34 am

Marvel boss Kevin Feige made it official Saturday at the studio’s Comic-Con panel, announcing Avengers: Endgame is clicking past Avatar‘s $2.7897 billion global box office this weekend to become the biggest film of all time. It took nine years for the record to fall, but it finally happened.

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:12 am

The online reaction to the CATS trailer is...entertaining.
My college girlfriend dragged me to the play when we went to London on Spring break. Am I missing something, or is there literally no point to the story? I still can’t figure out why it was a thing. At age 21, the theater was ruined for me forever on that day.
It's for dumb dickheads...you're not missing anything.

shmenguin

Movie Thread

Postby shmenguin » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:41 am

The online reaction to the CATS trailer is...entertaining.
My college girlfriend dragged me to the play when we went to London on Spring break. Am I missing something, or is there literally no point to the story? I still can’t figure out why it was a thing. At age 21, the theater was ruined for me forever on that day.
It's for dumb dickheads...you're not missing anything.
Mrs shmenguin, fortunately, isn’t the type to want to spend 4 figures on tickets to Hamilton, or whatever the overhyped show du jour is.

I saw Book of Mormon and enjoyed it. I can’t picture literally any other musical being worth the effort.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:10 pm

That’s because you’re an uncultured swine.

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:22 pm

Hamilton really is unbelievable.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:21 pm

The Lion King will clear $185 million in its opening weekend in the US.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:29 am

Gaucho

Movie Thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:32 am

pft

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:07 am

shmenguin

Movie Thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:09 am

explain, if you don't mind. i've seen talented performers perform talented musical numbers live. but if i wouldn't listen to a song at home on my headphones, i wouldn't want to see it in person either. this even goes for Book of Mormon - where the songs were the weakest part (aside from the one where they talk about god being a dingus). i know this is a weird, fringe opinion, btw. i watch those things live, i look at all the talent and effort required, and my enjoyment is limited to a respect for that, rather than an appreciation for the content itself. that's not worth $500 a ticket or whatever.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:10 am

I hope the movie ends with the unveiling of the Mister Rogers ****-statue and everyone leaves the theater terrified and in tears.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:13 am

:lol: I don't understand why the city hasn't commissioned a new statue. For someone as loved as Mister Rogers and someone so closely connected to Pittsburgh, to have that **** turd of a statue commemorating him is really a shame. It's so widely hated, I'm not sure what's stopping them from replacing it.

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:21 am

explain, if you don't mind. i've seen talented performers perform talented musical numbers live. but if i wouldn't listen to a song at home on my headphones, i wouldn't want to see it in person either. this even goes for Book of Mormon - where the songs were the weakest part (aside from the one where they talk about god being a dingus). i know this is a weird, fringe opinion, btw. i watch those things live, i look at all the talent and effort required, and my enjoyment is limited to a respect for that, rather than an appreciation for the content itself. that's not worth $500 a ticket or whatever.
For Hamilton, the songs are a strength. It's brilliantly written and it has a unique spin in that there's a lot of hip hop influence to it...so not only is it performed very well, but the songs are unreal...I listen to it regularly still...

I'm not really sure where else to go...like you (or how you read on here), I don't like most things...but someone said, "this **** is for real" and I went, all right, I'll give it a listen...and after one listen I was hooked. I don't even care that much for theater in general, but this is put together so well, there's almost no weakness in the songs/lyrics and it's strongly rooted in reality - unlike, ya know, Cats or some other **** sandwich...

But at the end of the day, I like Hamilton because I like Hamilton. I find it entertaining. Same reason I watch all the Penguins games...it's something I enjoy.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:26 am

here is the article in which the film is based from

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/t ... o-esq1198/

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:53 am

here is the article in which the film is based from

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/t ... o-esq1198/
I just finished reading that, which caused me to go down the often-traveled rabbit hole of Mister Rogers YouTube, from his speech before the Senate subcommittee, his lifetime achievement award, his introduction to the TV hall of fame, his goodbye speech on QED. And as always, it ends with a man in his mid-30s pretending like he isn't crying at his desk.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:56 am

Oh, by the way, the Lion King made $185 million this weekend, which is the new record opening weekend for the month of July beating out Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

For those of you who were hoping Disney would cool it with the live action remakes, sorry but that ain't happening.

shmenguin

Movie Thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:57 am

For Hamilton, the songs are a strength. It's brilliantly written and it has a unique spin in that there's a lot of hip hop influence to it...so not only is it performed very well, but the songs are unreal...I listen to it regularly still...

I'm not really sure where else to go...like you (or how you read on here), I don't like most things...but someone said, "this **** is for real" and I went, all right, I'll give it a listen...and after one listen I was hooked. I don't even care that much for theater in general, but this is put together so well, there's almost no weakness in the songs/lyrics and it's strongly rooted in reality - unlike, ya know, Cats or some other **** sandwich...

But at the end of the day, I like Hamilton because I like Hamilton. I find it entertaining. Same reason I watch all the Penguins games...it's something I enjoy.
Makes sense. Musical theater can be lame and Hamilton can be exceptional. Both things can be true.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:57 am

I’m all in on this movie, but does Hanks sound a bit Gumpian in certain parts of the trailer?

CBear3

Movie Thread

Postby CBear3 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:09 am

This. I can listen to Hamilton on the drive to work and enjoy it. In fact, much like creating the scenes in your head when you're reading a book, I hadn't really even experienced the play in pictures prior to seeing it last month. The songs do an excellent job telling the story, and being rooted in reality I could go to Wikipedia and learn what some of the looser references were about.

But in the end, if you can't enjoy the music on its own, you're not going to get much from the play. Being able to have it on repeat isn't necessary, but getting into a song or two certainly is (and I'd say that for all musicals).

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:19 am

It helps that there is very little dialogue in Hamilton so the entire story is told through the music. The soundtrack is a great listen.

Jim

Movie Thread

Postby Jim » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:24 am

The way the piano is playing in the Mr Rogers trailer, it seems more like another trailer for It 2 or something like that.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:25 pm

I’m all in on this movie, but does Hanks sound a bit Gumpian in certain parts of the trailer?
:lol:

OK, it wasn't just me. His voice is definitely distracting, because, well it sounds like vintage Hanks. Can't wait for it though.