Movie Thread

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:42 pm

Speaking of which, I just watched the HP reunion show on HBOM a couple nights ago. Not really even a fan, but I enjoyed it a great deal. JK Rowling AWOL was LOL.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:52 pm

The HP special, is that something kids would enjoy, too? We just finished the series, and my daughter loved it.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:58 pm

Screw the special take that kid to Universal.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:25 pm

Seeing people talk about the Harry Potter series like Fantastic Beasts doesn’t exist just fills me with joy. **** you Eddie Redmayne.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Movie Thread

Postby meow » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:36 pm

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:53 pm

Seeing people talk about the Harry Potter series like Fantastic Beasts doesn’t exist just fills me with joy. **** you Eddie Redmayne.
:thumb:

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:52 am

The HP special, is that something kids would enjoy, too? We just finished the series, and my daughter loved it.
It depends, have they seen much other sort of BTS stuff before? They don't go into a whole lot,, but there is plenty of video from the sets, and the cast are now all the same age as they're meant to be in the epilogue of Hallows 2. I'd be more worried (if that's the right word) about that, spoiling the 'magic' as it were, than any of the content.

That said, reading between the lines I'm like 50-50 that Helena Bonham Carter notched Daniel Radcliffe's cherry.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:53 pm

This seems like a bad idea.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:12 pm

Chu did a fabulous job with making one film out of In The Heights, and the creative team of the - singular - Broadway show did a fine job adapting the book to one production. Don't Hobbit-ize the thing.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:18 pm

The Wicked stage show is 2.5 hours (not counting the 15 minute intermission). You wouldn't have to cut that much to get it into one film. I don't think anybody will be mad if you get rid of Dancing Through Life (or most of Fiyero's lines really). A Sentimental Man can hit the cutting room floor also.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:38 pm

**** superhero movies are 3 hours now, nobody wants that thing split up, just make it 3 hours or whatever

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:39 pm

Also, happy Alien day for those that celebrate

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:47 pm

Speaking of 3 hour long superhero movies, I really enjoyed The Batman. It's a good movie that could be great if they cut 30-40 minutes. I really felt the runtime during the second hour and there are a few scenes that are redundant. Pattinson is a great Batman and a meh Bruce Wayne. I didn't really care for the Conor Oberst Bruce but his Batman is up there with the best of the series. I'm looking forward to seeing that character try to become "Bruce Wayne" in the next film. Zoe Kravitz is my favorite screen version of Catwoman (sorry Halle). The mood, score, and cinematography are so damn good. This movie is not an action movie at all. In fact, I often felt like the action got in the way of the story. Even in action scenes, the camera is focused on close ups of the characters and while that sometimes makes the physical action hard to follow, it totally fits with this film's tone and themes. I can't say it's better than The Dark Knight, but it's damn close.

And if you haven't seen it yet, this edit is amazing:

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:01 pm

I had no problem with the run time. 2nd viewing was better than the first and I can't wait for the 4k disc to come out. Bruce is such a creeper in the movie

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:07 pm

My problem is redundancy and that becomes an even bigger problem when it's a 3 hour movie.
The Riddler leaks evidence that Thomas Wayne was corrupt. Bruce goes to see Falcone who confirms that Thomas Wayne was corrupt. I don't remember the exact wording but basically Falcone said Thomas told him to put the fear of god in that reporter, never saying anything about killing him. Bruce goes to Alfred who confirms that Thomas Wayne was corrupt. but didn't necessarily know Falcone was going to kill him. Did we really need three scenes saying the same thing? It's a three hour **** movie. Cut the Falcone scene and you still have two redundant scenes.

Side note, the big scandal was Martha Wayne had a mental illness? This was a big deal in 2001? Come on.
Last edited by nocera on Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nuge

Movie Thread

Postby Nuge » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:07 pm

I thought it was good, not great. Nowhere close to TDK. It’s definitely way more superhero-y if that makes sense. Pattinson was good. Also, Michelle Pfeiffer was the best Catwoman, even though Returns isn’t a great movie.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:09 pm

Source of the post Nowhere close to TDK. It’s definitely way more superhero-y if that makes sense
I actually think The Batman is way more based in reality than TDK.
Source of the post Michelle Pfeiffer was the best Catwoman, even though Returns isn’t a great movie.
Best costume, but that character is silly af.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:10 pm

We did need it otherwise we wouldn't have had Bruce whining to Alfred as soon as he got up. Probably the funniest moment in the movie. I enjoyed all of these nodding back to the long Halloween comic, but I can appreciate what you're saying

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:13 pm

I think it's grounded in reality so much that it can actually come across being pretty silly. Bats walking with Gordon in the crime scene in that suit with the slow motion walk and music playing, you kinda have to make a choice in your head to say ok, it's like this otherwise you could spend a lot of the movie laughing at dumb everything is. That's a big part of what I liked about it.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:16 pm

I think it's grounded in reality so much that it can actually come across being pretty silly. Bats walking with Gordon in the crime scene in that suit with the slow motion walk and music playing, you kinda have to make a choice in your head to say ok, it's like this otherwise you could spend a lot of the movie laughing at dumb everything is. That's a big part of what I liked about it.
That's part of the reason why I feel it's more grounded in reality than TDK. Gordon is basically the only cop at first who is okay with Batman being around. The reaction of the rest of the cops watching Gordon walk with in with this lunatic cosplayer is exactly what would happen in reality.

Oh I forgot something that I really liked about The Batman. It felt like a sequel to a movie we didn't see. I loved that. There's enough in there to give you hints at what came in the first movie but we don't waste everybody's time retelling an origin or watching Maroni's demise.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:17 pm

That's part of the reason why I feel it's more grounded in reality than TDK. Gordon is basically the only cop at first who is okay with Batman being around. The reaction of the rest of the cops watching Gordon walk with in with this lunatic cosplayer is exactly what would happen in reality.

Oh I forgot something that I really liked about The Batman. It felt like a sequel to a movie we didn't see. I loved that. There's enough in there to give you hints at what came in the first movie but we don't waste everybody's time retelling an origin or watching Maroni's demise.
Yes to all of this. Sounds like the sequel will be announced today. Bring on hush and the court of owls!

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:22 pm

What's with arrow and these other companies remastering movies in 4k and charging $50 for a movie now? I'd love to watch true romance in 4k, but how the hell do people afford paying $50 for a movie?

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:27 pm

What's with arrow and these other companies remastering movies in 4k and charging $50 for a movie now? I'd love to watch true romance in 4k, but how the hell do people afford paying $50 for a movie?
Unfortunately collecting physical media is becoming a niche hobby. Prices have been going up across the board. Even the crap put out by Vinegar Syndrome (not knocking it, I love crappy movies) retails for around $35-40 on blu ray and their 4Ks usually push $50. I only buy a handful of movies a year these days, largely because I can't justify the prices.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:31 pm

Splitting a movie into two? Generally, not a huge deal. But a **** musical? :lol:

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:32 pm

Unfortunately collecting physical media is becoming a niche hobby. Prices have been going up across the board. Even the crap put out by Vinegar Syndrome (not knocking it, I love crappy movies) retails for around $35-40 on blu ray and their 4Ks usually push $50. I only buy a handful of movies a year these days, largely because I can't justify the prices.
Yep, it's weird that I root for the studios to put out 4k stuff, because at least it's going to be under $30. $27 for 4k robocop was acceptable imo. Let's keep it around there. i usually wait until they go under $20, but VS and arrow rarely drop like that