Movie Thread

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:31 am

The more I think about it, the less I like about it.

And Patty Jenkins is working on a third film...
I don’t have great optimism about a fast-tracked sequel or Rogue Squadron, which is supposed to be out in three years, but I do wonder where to lay most of the blame for this movie.

Patty Jenkins’s filmography remains pretty sparse, with her doing nothing but TV between Monster (which she also wrote) and Wonder Woman, which was directed from a Zack Snyder story written into a screenplay by an experienced writer who also relaunched the Wonder Woman comic series. Maybe she was given too much free reign on this movie? Direction seemed to be fine. Story is the main issue.

The other credited story writer for this movie is veteran comics writer Geoff Johns, working as a screenplay writer on his first live action movie after developing the story for Aquaman, tons of animation credits, producing Green Lantern, BvS, Justice League, Suicide Squad, Birds of Prey, and writing for Smallville, Arrow, and The Flash on The CW. Not a whole lot in that filmography to feel optimistic about and this movie definitely has the hollow, manufactured “high stakes” feeling you get when needing to keep people interested in a weekly show or comic book release. **** like Diana deciding to renounce her wish is supposed to feel powerful and moving and sacrificial, but Steve was already dead for 66 **** years and all he did was comeback and inhabit some other dudes body. Is it considered rape if your body becomes a zombie vessel inhabited by a demigoddess’ dead love interest and she’s the only **** person who sees his face on your body? I don’t feel bad for Diana or 100 year old Steve Trevor. I feel bad for the dude who had sex with Gal Gadot and has zero idea.

The other screenplay credit is Dave Callaham, whose illustrious filmography is filled with such as Doom and The Expendables franchise. How the **** did he get hired?

Christopher Nolan made three excellent movies before getting Batman Begins. None of these three credited writers should have been given free reign on a movie of this size and there’s zero reason why Geoff Johns and his shitty career should be the one overseeing the DCU.

I’m sure Disney and Lucasfilm will be running the show with Rogue Squadron, but let’s be real: based on recent track record of the studio and directors, it would not be surprising in the least if Rogue Squadron was being directed by Peyton Reed in a year.
Last edited by Dickie Dunn on Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:33 am

Wife never saw tombstone so we corrected that last night. Good times.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:37 am

Death to 2020 (Netflix) was good for a few laughs. Something like a watered-down Daily Show that fell on the spectrum between Mad Magazine and Monty Python. Made by the Black Mirror folks but the sardonic edge isn't as sharp. I think the year sucked so bad it's almost too hard to satirize it.

Not for shaf, as there is enough Leslie Jones to be off-putting. But she's relatively restrained and less clowny than usual so it wasn't too bad.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:11 am

LA county has asked film & tv productions to pause due to COVID.
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/la-c ... 234875835/

This should be interesting. I’m guessing the majority of responses will be “...nah.” From what I’ve seen and from what my LA friends have told me, union sets are insanely safe. Much safer than running to Ralph’s or the mall.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:42 pm

My wife is currently watching a Christmas movie that doesn’t even have a Wikipedia page on Netflix. WW84 seems award winning right now.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:49 pm

LA county has asked film & tv productions to pause due to COVID.
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/la-c ... 234875835/

This should be interesting. I’m guessing the majority of responses will be “...nah.” From what I’ve seen and from what my LA friends have told me, union sets are insanely safe. Much safer than running to Ralph’s or the mall.
There are extremely strict rules covering productions. From what they've been reporting on local news, most productions ask crews to quasi-isolate during shooting, so they aren't really supposed to be going out to restaurants and such (when that was still a thing); it's an honor system thing, for sure, but I'm not aware of any outbreaks on sets.

That's why I feel bad about that lady in Sherman Oaks who posted the video about her restaurant being shutdown while a TV crew set up a shoot in her parking lot. I understand your frustration, but unless you can guarantee the same kind of safety protocols in your business that the people involved in that shoot are adhering to, it's apples-oranges. And considering you're intermingling 40-50 different 'pods' a day, you really can't.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:34 am

Mulan was terrible. Worse than the animated movie in pretty much every way, with few moments that were actually enjoyable, but at least Ming-Na got a cameo appearance. My absolute least favorite Disney live action remake so far.

I’m beginning to feel grateful that the pandemic has saved me from wasting a lot of money on seeing bad movies in the theater.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:59 am

Soul was very good. Still thinking about it the next morning is a good thing.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:26 pm

I saw an article yesterday that Soul was "unapologetically Black". I enjoy jazz/soul music and am definitely planning on watching Soul this weekend, but is it in your face with that stuff? Someone else compared it to Coco with the themes that will really resonate with adults.

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:36 pm

Unapologetically black

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:37 pm

Nah, it’s not in your face about it. They did gather a group of Black Pixar employees to talk about the script and what it’s like to be Black in the US, to strengthen the story. The animators went out of their way not to create stereotypical Black cartoon (looking) characters as well.

I had hoped that jazz would be a larger part of the story, to be honest. But yes, it’s a lot like Coco where our white selves come out knowing more about a culture we don’t know much about.

I didn’t know that Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross did the non-jazz score either. Very striking work from them.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:38 pm

Shaf watching Soul, a pixar movie

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:39 pm

:lol:

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:41 pm

Nah, it’s not in your face about it. They did gather a group of Black Pixar employees to talk about the script and what it’s like to be Black in the US, to strengthen the story. The animators went out of their way not to create stereotypical Black cartoon (looking) characters as well.

I had hoped that jazz would be a larger part of the story, to be honest. But yes, it’s a lot like Coco where our white selves come out knowing more about a culture we don’t know much about.

I didn’t know that Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross did the non-jazz score either. Very striking work from them.
That sounds awesome :thumb: Looking forward to watching that tomorrow night. I loved Coco so I have high hopes for this one.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:43 pm

Would it make you feel better if it was apologetic about its blackness?

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:47 pm

The jazz stuff was, imo, the strongest part of the movie. It's all very good, don't get me wrong. But there was something sort of transcendent about the music scenes (which I guess was ultimately the point) that I wish had been more of a focus.

And I also agree that the Reznor/Ross score was fabulous. We've been watching episodes of Song Exploder on Netflix, and one of the episodes leans into Reznor and the writing of 'Hurt'. So to imagine that guy writing the score for a Pixar movie is a little trippy.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:48 pm

Would it make you feel better if it was apologetic about its blackness?
It was just a weird way to hear a movie described. I really enjoy cultural stuff like that (hence why I liked Coco as much as I did), and I think that kind of stuff is great for the kids too. I thought the term was weird for the exact reason you mentioned. Since when does a movie (or any piece of art, for that matter) have to apologize for that?

I know everyone here is trying to make this a gotcha thing, I just thought it was a strange way to describe a Pixar movie.

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:04 pm

You asked if it was "in your face with that stuff". It didn't sound like you were questioning the phrase "unapologetically black". Our mistake.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:22 pm

I saw an article yesterday that Soul was "unapologetically Black". I enjoy jazz/soul music and am definitely planning on watching Soul this weekend, but is it in your face with that stuff? Someone else compared it to Coco with the themes that will really resonate with adults.
According to Gawker flunkies like Charles Pulliam-Moore, it’s a Black movie made for white people because Tina Fey’s voice is in it.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:24 pm

The jazz stuff was, imo, the strongest part of the movie. It's all very good, don't get me wrong. But there was something sort of transcendent about the music scenes (which I guess was ultimately the point) that I wish had been more of a focus.

And I also agree that the Reznor/Ross score was fabulous. We've been watching episodes of Song Exploder on Netflix, and one of the episodes leans into Reznor and the writing of 'Hurt'. So to imagine that guy writing the score for a Pixar movie is a little trippy.
Yesterday I learned that Reznor is from **** Mercer, which absolutely blew my mind.

Jim

Movie Thread

Postby Jim » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:39 pm

It's funny how blatantly racist things, people, articles, etc can be yet the people that cry racism at every turn... apparently don't see it. Talk about priviledge.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Movie Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:59 pm

I think what Shad is trying to ask is, "will this movie try to make me feel bad about being white?"

There are lots of movies that do this, of course. I've not run into one from the Disney/Pixar universe yet, but who knows.... it's 2020, man. Anything can happen.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:11 pm

Found this gem on r/ShittyMovieDetails:
In Wonder Woman 1984 (2020), Diana Prince (Gal Godot) tells Max Lord (Pedro Pascal) that she doesn't own a TV. Later in the film, it is revealed that Diana in fact owns many TVs. This is an ironic twist because, despite carrying the Lasso of Truth, Wonder Woman is a **** liar.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:16 pm

Found this gem on r/ShittyMovieDetails:
In Wonder Woman 1984 (2020), Diana Prince (Gal Godot) tells Max Lord (Pedro Pascal) that she doesn't own a TV. Later in the film, it is revealed that Diana in fact owns many TVs. This is an ironic twist because, despite carrying the Lasso of Truth, Wonder Woman is a **** liar.
Lol.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:18 pm

Yesterday I learned that Reznor is from **** Mercer, which absolutely blew my mind.
Yeah, I just learned of his yinzerness not too long ago myself. Also kinda trippy.