Movie Thread

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:57 pm

I can't believe how far they've fallen from Nolans Batmans movies and the strong criticism of the last one.
I don't know how they treat the character in the comics, but the thing that Nolan got the most right imo was the notion that Bruce Wayne was actually Batman's secret identity, not the other way around. Psychologically, it's an altogether more interesting way to frame the arc from orphan to vigilante. They certainly never looked at him that way on TV, I don't think it was this way in the Burton movies, and it for sure wasn't like that in the Schumacher movies. What I've heard about Batfleck is that he presents a very compelling version of 'Bruce Wayne', and I had hoped that meant they were similarly treating the 'mask'. Is that not the case?
After the prologue introducing the Penguin’s background Batman Returns opens with Bruce Wayne sitting in his unlit study waiting for the Batsignal to turn on so he has something to do. Burton’s Wayne was definitely the secret identity of Batman:

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:36 pm

Justice League’s weekend boxoffice falling $20-$30 million short of projections, roughly 44% less than BvS opening weekend, and is extremely unlikely to hit $100 million.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:43 pm

Justice League’s weekend boxoffice falling $20-$30 million short of projections, roughly 44% less than BvS opening weekend, and is extremely unlikely to hit $100 million.
So how long until WB/DC blows everything up and starts fresh again?

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:08 pm

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:42 pm

I thought justice league was great (and wonder woman) . Don't get me wrong, you could break this movie down and easily tell me how bad it is and I couldn't argue, but it's a whole lot of fun (and wonder woman) and the characters are awesome. What's even better is when everyone teams up, they are actually fun and work really well with other. I had a blast! (and Wonder woman)

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:06 pm

She is quite distracting. Did you happen to notice any of these gems (or Cavill's mustache)?

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:11 pm

She could distract me as much as she wants to. We're going on Wednesday, as we are all out of school/work.

Did go to Wonder today though. It was a bit melodramatic, but very light and uplifting. Good family movie.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:12 pm

She is quite distracting. Did you happen to notice any of these gems (or Cavill's mustache)?
Definitely noticed Affleck. I also loved the first post credit scene. Aquaman lasso scene was hilarious. I was surprised at how likeable everyone was, I figured at the very least cyborg would be the the odd hero out, but even he got a nice workload.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:14 pm

She could distract me as much as she wants to. We're going on Wednesday, as we are all out of school/work.

Did go to Wonder today though. It was a bit melodramatic, but very light and uplifting. Good family movie.
I took the boys to JL, wife took the daughter to wonder. They loved it. I think I'm going to get my 2nd viewing of JL in after telling the wife there are multiple shirtless superman scenes.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:14 pm

Some guy on Reddit (who must work for some VFX company because he posted stuff from Infinity War like two days ago) has been leaking deleted and unfinished clips on Vimeo. Lots of back story stuff that I guess didn’t fit into the “under 2 hours and more funny” demands from the studio.

columbia

Movie Thread

Postby columbia » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:23 am

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:18 am

Jim and Andy documentary on Netflix about Jim Carrey method acting Andy Kauffman is fascinating. He filmed behind the scenes on everything and wow would that be tough to work with that. It may make you want to punch him in the face (pretty much like everyone else on set) but wow is it interesting. Jim is waaaaaay out there.

Brigsby bear was a very strange, but sweet movie. Main kid felt like he was doing a napoleon dynamite impression of garth.

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:24 am

Okay I lol'd

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:15 pm

Officially an opening weekend of $94 million for Justice League, putting it behind the opening weekends of The Avengers, Age of Ultron, Civil War, Iron Man 3, Batman v Superman, The Dark Knight Rises, The Dark Knight, Spider-Man 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Suicide Squad, Deadpool, Iron Man 2, Thor: Ragnarok, Spider-Man Homecoming, Man of Steel, Spider-Man, X-Men The Last Stand, Wonder Woman, Iron Man, The Winter Solider, and Guardians of the Galaxy. It's also behind the second weekend of The Avengers, which came out five years ago.

No idea what they'll do since Aquaman is already in the can and Wonder Woman is a major hit and the sequel has been fast tracked, but this universe is dead.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:45 pm

Does anyone use MoviePass in the Pittsburgh area? This seems like a good deal, but then again, I'm always going to $4 cinemark movies and at that price, it's around 23 movies a year, which as much as I'd like to, is just to hard to do...

https://www.moviepass.com/

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:52 pm

Does anyone use MoviePass in the Pittsburgh area? This seems like a good deal, but then again, I'm always going to $4 cinemark movies and at that price, it's around 23 movies a year, which as much as I'd like to, is just to hard to do...

I thought about it but I just don't go to the theater enough to warrant a subscription service. More importantly, where are you seeing $4 movies?

shmenguin

Movie Thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:53 pm

Jim and Andy documentary on Netflix about Jim Carrey method acting Andy Kauffman is fascinating. He filmed behind the scenes on everything and wow would that be tough to work with that. It may make you want to punch him in the face (pretty much like everyone else on set) but wow is it interesting. Jim is waaaaaay out there.
that is a long way for someone to go for a mediocre movie and largely uninteresting subject matter

(i imagine 5AF is generally pro andy kaufman, but he just seemed like a jagoff who was only mildly funny).

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:56 pm

Andy Kaufman was a genius.

Once again... Shmengy bad take is back.

@slappybrown

slappybrown

Movie Thread

Postby slappybrown » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:58 pm

We regret to inform 5AF that shmengy is bad taking again

shmenguin

Movie Thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:03 pm

Andy Kaufman was a genius.

Once again... Shmengy bad take is back.

@slappybrown
no worries. history will prove me right.

as for kaufman...you can call him a genius. you can call him a great performance artist. i don't find him to be particularly funny. and it's known that he was a prick, right?

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:08 pm

Tremendous prick, but funny.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:25 pm

I thought about it but I just don't go to the theater enough to warrant a subscription service. More importantly, where are you seeing $4 movies?
Cinemark Monroeville. It's only a year or two old and it has great theater with huge screens. I think before 4pm it's $4 and Tuesday all day $4. Their XD theaters are $6.50. I can't beat taking a family of 5 to the movies for $20.

edit maybe it's 3 or 4 years old, but still very clean. Waterfront VIP seats are nice and that's a cool theater, but this is my favorite in Pittsburgh.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:51 pm

Re: that Carrey documentary, the morning show in Philly played a clip of it this morning. Carrey is in a really, really dark place. I would not be surprised at all if he ended up taking his own life in the next few years.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:54 pm

Re: that Carrey documentary, the morning show in Philly played a clip of it this morning. Carrey is in a really, really dark place. I would not be surprised at all if he ended up taking his own life in the next few years.
I hope your jinxing powers don’t extend to actors like they do sports...

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:55 pm

I had the same feeling. I honestly can't decide if he's found the secret to life or if he's just completely checked out.