Movie Thread

Gaucho

Movie Thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:34 am

Also I hate musical films.
Once, little shop of horrors, sing street, lala land, labyrinth, wonka, spice world?

Are these all considered musicals? I don't know
I've seen none of them.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:34 am

Once, little shop of horrors, sing street, lala land, labyrinth, wonka, spice world?

How **** dare you put **** like Spice World in the same sentence as Wonka, Labyrinth, etc.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:35 am

I've seen none of them.

Gaucho

Movie Thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:35 am

:lol:

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:36 am

How **** dare you put **** like Spice World in the same sentence as Wonka, Labyrinth, etc.
Haha, thought it would resonate with him overseas, didn't want to miss anything

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:37 am

I've seen none of them.
Sister act?wiz of oz? Spinal tap? I'm going to find one that's not an obvious Disney cartoon

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:39 am

I look forward to watching Labyrinth with my daughter once she's old enough. I always loved that one.

Gaucho

Movie Thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:44 am

By musical films I specfically mean films based on musicals. Cats and crap like that.
Last edited by Gaucho on Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:44 am

I look forward to watching Labyrinth with my daughter once she's old enough. I always loved that one.

It's so good and one of my biggest fears becoming a parent was the kids wouldn't like it. Luckily I didn't have to find a new family.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:45 am

By musical film I specfically mean a film based on musicals. Cats and crap like that.
Did you watch cats?

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:45 am

Yeah, I've got that lined up along with Neverending Story, and possibly a few others.

Gaucho

Movie Thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:46 am

By musical film I specfically mean a film based on musicals. Cats and crap like that.
Did you watch cats?
hell no

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:48 am

Did you watch cats?
hell no
Rocky horror?

Gaucho

Movie Thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:49 am

Did you watch cats?
hell no
Rocky horror?
Yes.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:50 am

My work is done. Enjoy your day.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:11 am

Don't forget Rent. That was filmed with the original cast (most of them at least).

Jim

Movie Thread

Postby Jim » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:08 pm

Rocketman: a musical
Bohemian Rhapsody: not a musical

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:19 pm

Labyrinth is a weekly watch in my house. It's definitely NOT a musical.

For fans of the movie, have you heard the theory that Jareth has been taking Sarahs for a long time trying to find his lost love. That's why when she tells Hoggle her name is Sarah he says "of course you are."

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:35 pm

Labyrinth is a weekly watch in my house. It's definitely NOT a musical.

For fans of the movie, have you heard the theory that Jareth has been taking Sarahs for a long time trying to find his lost love. That's why when she tells Hoggle her name is Sarah he says "of course you are."
That's pretty cool, I like it. Also hoggle is my specialty when it comes to attempting a voice. It's probably terrible, but kids love it. Thems my rightful property, it's not fair.

I'm very curious about the sequel. I feel like it's in good hands, but how they address Jareth is a concern (unless they have Tilda Swinton play him as if nothing has changed).

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:51 pm

We don’t need a sequel.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:21 pm

I agree, but we are getting one regardless

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:21 pm

I wonder if Hamilton would resonate with a European as much as it would Americans. How much US Revolutionary War history is taught in German schools?
I think it's a little unfair to look at Hamilton through the scope of a history lesson. So much is altered for the purposes of dramatic narrative (which is fine and dandy, I'm not looking for total accuracy in historical-based entertainment)... then again, it would allow for the opportunity of discussion. "Angelica Schuyler was already married when she met Hamilton, and when A. Ham tells the audience "that's true" that Martha Washington named a feral tomcat after him it probably isn't actually true; discuss."

That said, the first moment where I ugly cried in the show is One Last Time, which turns the actual text of Washington's farewell address into a soul/hip hop song.... I regard that address to be as significant a founding document to the Republic, it its way, as the Declaration and the Constitution, because it set the tone for what was expected of its leaders. The first time I saw that number performed was when the cast was at the White House, and when I heard "Though, in reviewing the incidents of my administration, I am unconscious of intentional error, I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many errors," I was like "whaaaaaaaaaa".
My boys wanted to watch James Bond, so we started with the Craig films. Very enjoyable, and they loved them.

So then we went back to the Brosnan films. Very, very tough to watch following the grittiness of the Craig films. It’s almost a parody of Bond films at this point. GoldenEye might be the only decent film in the bunch, as most first films with a new Bond usually are the best of the batch.
The kite surfing scene in Die Another Day will live in infamy as one of the absolute worst big-budget movie VFX bed s**tings in cinema history.

That said, the Brosnan-era had some quality rocket ships in the female costar department. (Izabella Scorupco, Famke Janssen; Michelle Yeoh, Terri Hatcher; Denise Richards, Sophie Marceau; Halle Berry)

Gaucho

Movie Thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:40 pm

Izabella Scorupco, Famke Janssen; Michelle Yeoh, Terri Hatcher; Denise Richards, Sophie Marceau; Halle Berry
oh lord

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:19 pm

My fourteen year old HOWLED at the kite surfing scene (we watched that last night). So, so bad.

Michelle Yeoh was great, but at one point she’s captured by Jonathan Pryce’s goons (who was an over the top, ridiculous villain, even for Bond films. He probably had a blast playing Carver). She tries to kick her way out of their clutches, and Pryce’s character does this racist mimicry thing that was really, really cringy. In the stealth ship, she does a “hi YAAA” karate chop noise when destroying the ship. Ugh. Yes, I remember Sean Connery’s Bond getting slanted eyes for a disguise in You Only Live Twice.

Then poor Denise Richards. I remember the Bond producers catching hell for having a “bimbo” as a nuclear physicist back in 1999, but not enough about how they made her strip down to a tank top belly shirt and short shorts (with work boots!) for no reason. :lol:

Also, my kids didn’t recognize Madonna (she was Verity the fencing instructor in Die Another Day). :face:

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:33 am

Netflix's 'Old Guard' Was Built By a Post-Production Team Made Up of 85 Percent Women

Well, look at that - women can make absolute **** movies, too. Equality!