Movie Thread

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:38 pm

I'm excited for it. I thought the last one was good. When can I stream it?
It'll be on Netflix first. No release date but rumor is July.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:56 pm

Just rewatched GB Afterlife. Choked up at the end again. My wife was crying her eyes out. Forgot how fun that movie is overall.

Will be seeing Frozen Empire tomorrow. Don’t care what critics think to be honest.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Movie Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:06 pm

Yeah, I thought hook was a box office bust at the time.

The scores on rotten tomatoes don’t always tell a story but I’ve noticed when there’s a huge discrepancy between critic scores and audience scores there’s something of value to them.

When the critic score is super high and audience score is low, it’s typically a pretentious movie that goes over the average person’s head.

When the critic score is low and the audience score is high, it’s going to be a fun watch, just don’t overthink it.

See hook: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hook
Sounds about right for the ghostbusters movie.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:40 pm

Hook sucks

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:45 pm

Hook sucks
Wrong… wrong.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:56 pm

Just rewatched GB Afterlife. Choked up at the end again. My wife was crying her eyes out. Forgot how fun that movie is overall.

Will be seeing Frozen Empire tomorrow. Don’t care what critics think to be honest.
I really liked Afterlife but it was pretty damn heavy for a GB movie. I’m looking forward to a lighter take (hopefully) with Frozen Empire.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:06 pm

I really liked Afterlife but it was pretty damn heavy for a GB movie. I’m looking forward to a lighter take (hopefully) with Frozen Empire.
Yes it was. I forgot that the 3rd act was very very similar to the 3rd act from the original with some tweaks. I hope Frozen Empire has a bit lighter tone as well. Still a really fun movie.

We also watched Barbie again tonight. It was just as good as when we saw it in the theater.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:40 am

Hook sucks
Come on man

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:42 am

I’m trying really hard to trust Phillips and Phoenix…

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:52 am

heyyyyyyyyy nowwwwww

you’re an allllllstarrrrrrrrrrrrrr

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:45 pm

Well now I won't feel bad missing it.

The only thing I trust Phillips to do is shoehorn a gay joke into the movie like he does all his films, first Joker included.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:21 pm

Detailed thoughts later but GB: Frozen Empire was awesome.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:22 pm

Detailed thoughts later but GB: Frozen Empire was awesome.
:thumb:

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:51 pm

I had "Radio" on in the background today. The one where Cuba Gooding Jr. is basically instantly accepted around a high school football team for no obvious reason. And looking at the imdb, it suggests that the high school football team's mascot is Ringo Starr (uncredited)...how could that happen? I don't know how to ask that question any better than that...

Sam's Drunk Dog

Movie Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:31 am

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:24 am

I’m trying really hard to trust Phillips and Phoenix…
The first one was one of those movies to watch once and then have not want to watch again. I don’t think I’ll be watching this one.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:09 am

Forgot I never came back to give my actual thoughts on GB Frozen Empire.

It was lots of fun IMO. I'm not sure if it was any less "dark" than Afterlife, maybe a touch. Being back in NYC for the film and at the firehouse was a welcome change. Lots of little callbacks and cameos.
Walter Peck is mayor, no Dana or Louis, and that was fine cause there wasn't really a spot for them to be honest, Slimer is back as well. )

It's hard to explain, but I think if you liked Afterlife and the original films you will probably like this. It def had a bit of the real GB cartoon at times with some of the humor and characters, but it worked IMO. There is some stuff with Phoebe
and a female ghost that some people I guarantee will latch onto as being woke and say they were trying to work in some sort of lesbian thing when it really wasn't even alluded to at all. It was used as a plot device for the final villain and it was really speaking to more of a her looking for a friend from the first movie, but others will see it as something it's not.
There are some weird spots sure, but overall the comedy hits and the new characters work. It just worked for me I guess, but I went in not really seeing anything but the one trailer and not reading reviews at all. I do hope if they make a third one that they really focus on the dynamic they ended the movie with going forward and rely less on the original cast. I get why they are there, and it still works, but its time to let the new crew do its own thing.

Some people seem to also complain there wasn't enough ghostbusting but I feel it's about the same as it was in the 84/89 movies and even afterlife. You have your opening ghost fight, one in the middle/montage, and then the end fight with everything else sprinkled in between.

I guess my only real complaint would be with as many new characters as there were introduced it would have been nice to have some of those fleshed out a bit more, but then you have a 3 hour movie. Maybe they will get expanded roles going forward who knows.

In any event...I enjoyed the movie alot. It's what I wanted in a Ghostbusters movies. It was fun, it made me laugh, it made me sing along, and it made me smile.

On a side note the OG 84 movie was on TV last night and I caught the last hour or so. Even with commercials breaking the flow it's just a perfect movie. You can never recreate what that movie had, so that is why I went into both AL and FE with an open mind knowing it wouldn't be the 84 film. Maybe that helped me accept them more...hard to say I guess.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:34 am

On a side note the OG 84 movie was on TV last night and I caught the last hour or so. Even with commercials breaking the flow it's just a perfect movie.
Things 50-year old me understand implicitly that 10-year old me sitting in the movie theater didn't care about:

The EPA guy was right all along, and the 'Busters are lucky when he showed up with the court order to shut them down he didn't enforce it with a SWAT team.

What kind of psychopath uses his position of authority to hit on his college-age test subjects, and then brings Thorazine on a date with a client???

:pop:

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:37 am

I've had Afterlife sitting on my Plex server for a few years, and with all of the sequel talk, decided to finally watch it. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, to be honest. Guess I might venture to the theater to see Frozen Empire. I am an OG Ghostbusters fan, having watched the original film at least 3 times in theaters back pre-VHS/DVD days. My 11th birthday cake had the Ghostbusters logo, and I have a Stay Puft Marshmallow Man toy in my office :fist:

But holy hell, Ernie Hudson is 78. He must be rubbing off on Paul Rudd or vice versa :lol:

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:45 am

Ghostbusters 84 is still my favorite movie of all time. It's insanely rewatchable and it's just as entertaining as an adult as it was when I was a kid. It hits different now, obviously. Ray's ghost blowjob dream is a real wtf moment when you're finally old enough to realize what's happening. The og Ghostbusters always hit me as a comedy with an action/horror backdrop while Afterlife (and I'm assuming Frozen Empire) are basically the opposite. Which makes sense. 84 had an all-star cast of some of the biggest names in comedy at the time. There's no replicating that. It's better to dig in on the lore while sprinkling in comedy.

I've been re-watching the cartoon, occasionally throwing an episode on during lunch, and that holds up surprisingly well. At least the first season does. Once **** Uncle Joey comes in and Slimer becomes a bigger character everything goes downhill.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:51 am

My wife asked me last night when I was quoting every line how many times I've seen the original movie. I thought about it for a second...and I was like honestly...several hundred at least?

I wore out my VHS copy as a kid that was taped off of network tv, I rented it every single chance I got from Giant Eagle video. There is no other movie in my life that I have watched as much as the 84 Ghostbusters. Jurassic Park might be the closest, and it's nowhere near close.

Like Nocera it is my all time favorite movie and I will watch it any time I have the chance. There are so many things that hit differently as an adult as mentioned above....it really was written so well that it resonated for different reasons as a kid than as an adult.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:13 am

The original idea for GB84 was to have John Belushi and Eddie Murphy in the Venkman and Zeddemore roles, respectively. Belushi died, and Murphy declined in order to make Beverly Hills Cop.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:17 am

And John Candy in the Rick Moranis role but he turned it down. As much as I love John Candy, there's only one Louis Tully. It would've been a much different character with Candy.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:25 am

And John Candy in the Rick Moranis role but he turned it down. As much as I love John Candy, there's only one Louis Tully. It would've been a much different character with Candy.
huh, TIL. I agree, couldn't see anyone else in that role.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:32 am

Yes, everything about how GB84 turned out was practically perfect in every way, and any changes to story/script/casting.... any of the known 'alt' versions, really, would've lessened the final result.
Last edited by tifosi77 on Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.