Movie Thread

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:32 pm

Also

The next time I say let's go some place like Bolivia, let's GO someplace like Bolivia!

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:33 pm

There is no universe in which Speed 2 is a "fun" watch. It's bad in every way. Even not comparing it to how fun the original was, it's just bad.

Kane

Movie Thread

Postby Kane » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:34 pm

Princess Bride is a 4 star movie, and I will fight anyone who claims otherwise.
Inconceivable!

(5 stars, fool.)

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:39 pm

I never understood why Ebert's opinion ever mattered.
I don't think it "matters" in that it should drive your opinion of a film, but he is the most significant film critic of alltime imo so he does articulate his opinions on films very well even if his opinion is disagreeable

for example he gave Godfather II 3 stars originally. Obviously GFII is one of the best films of alltime. So his opinion doesn't matter, it's more like a guide

I just thought Butch Cassidy was not a great movie (I'd give it 6/10) and my opinion on it agrees with Ebert's and he can explain why he didn't like it a hell of a lot better than I can
This has nothing to do with my statement. You told me he IS a significant critic. I said I never understood why.
oh. I have no idea. I guess maybe because he wrote for a large paper (Chicago Sun-Times) and then ended up with a tv show so he gained a large popular appeal

also he won a pulitzer so he does have some legit writing chops

but yeah, usually when I'm deciding to watch a film I'll look up his review and the imdb score, I've learned they're generally the best two indicators that I'll enjoy a movie. Rotten Tomatoes is terrible

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:40 pm

Rotten Tomatoes is the absolute worst thing in the world of entertainment.

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:40 pm

The Letterbox app is good for reviews. Especially horror if that's your thing.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:40 pm

There is no universe in which Speed 2 is a "fun" watch. It's bad in every way. Even not comparing it to how fun the original was, it's just bad.
It's a **** train boat wreck and it's hilarious the entire way through. It's fun bad. You got Willem Dafoe being as Willem Dafoe as possible. You've got new Keanu having a really weird relationship with a deaf child. You also have the slowest crash scene in history as the cruise liner collides with the island. Everything about it is ridiculous.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:41 pm

also, I look at Ebert the same way I look at the guys on Pardon the Interruption for sports. Sometimes their opinions are ridiculous, but in general I think they have good perspective.

then you have guys like Stephen A who are ridiculous for ridiculousness' sake and carry absolutely no legitimacy

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:45 pm

Professional movie critics are kind of ridiculous. I'm a horror fan. They aren't academy award winners (save the rare The Silence of the Lambs which I'd argue isn't horror). They trash them all the time. But I find them rather entertaining.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:46 pm

The ridiculousness of the boat crash is what converted me to guilty pleasure. Up to that point I was just shaking my head, but I then decided to.................................................

(•_•)
....( •_•)>⌐■-■
........(⌐■_■)

................... get on board.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:46 pm

Professional movie critics are kind of ridiculous. I'm a horror fan. They aren't academy award winners (save the rare The Silence of the Lambs which I'd argue isn't horror). They trash them all the time. But I find them rather entertaining.
I would also argue it's not horror. It's suspense.

Also, you have to say it horrr-ror, like on Whose Line Is It Anyway.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:48 pm

Yeah I agree from that standpoint. Horror movies and goofball comedies are always critically rated poorly despite audiences (and me) loving them

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:51 pm

Bogus journey is next on the watchlist. I don't remember very much about it at all except I think I liked it a lot (but I also like just about every movie I watch). Very excited for the new one this weekend, I will be spending the $20 to watch because I want to support it coming out like it is. Would have definitely seen it in the theater and paid more than that.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:59 pm

Bogus journey is next on the watchlist. I don't remember very much about it at all except I think I liked it a lot (but I also like just about every movie I watch). Very excited for the new one this weekend, I will be spending the $20 to watch because I want to support it coming out like it is. Would have definitely seen it in the theater and paid more than that.
There was one specific scene in that film that literally gave me nightmares for years.

Jim

Movie Thread

Postby Jim » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:06 pm

I see MIMH got ahold of Jim's Magic 8-Ball that only spits out the worst imaginable take on a subject.

You mean honest takes as opposed to "Maybe if I say the fad thing people will think I'm cool" takes?

By the way... the new Wes Anderson movie looks like it is going to be a steaming pile of poo like most of his other movies.

Jim

Movie Thread

Postby Jim » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:09 pm

4 out of 4, or 4 out of 10?

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:14 pm

Reliability like a fine Swiss watch.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:15 pm

I see MIMH got ahold of Jim's Magic 8-Ball that only spits out the worst imaginable take on a subject.

You mean honest takes as opposed to "Maybe if I say the fad thing people will think I'm cool" takes?

By the way... the new Wes Anderson movie looks like it is going to be a steaming pile of poo like most of his other movies.
Are you using Wes Anderson as an example of a fad? What year is this?

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:15 pm

4 out of 4, or 4 out of 10?

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:53 pm

STATION

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:12 pm

STATION
I just saw a story about this and how parts were cut and it doesn't make sense. I don't remember the story so this doesn't make any sense either

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:21 pm

Speaking of Ebert, the Siskel & Ebert show was great. I miss movie review shows. I'm assuming those don't exist anymore.
10 billion You Tubers are willing to offer you their opinions.

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:24 pm

There was one specific scene in that film that literally gave me nightmares for years.
Bogus Journey was a big drop off from the original for me. Didn’t like it.

Jim

Movie Thread

Postby Jim » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:25 pm

Are you using Wes Anderson as an example of a fad? What year is this?
No. Two individual comments.

Also not sure why I used "fad" I was going for more of a "The cool kids say that it's cool so I'll say it's cool so that they think I'm cool too" and landed on dad for some reason.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:43 pm

But their show was entertaining as hell.
Wasn't it on late (like 11 or 1130) after the news? I thought it aired on a Sunday night. Used to love watching that as a kid.