Movie Thread

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 24, 2022 12:15 am

Biggest drop off in quality from og to a sequel. Only condition is that the original filmmaker was involved w both.

Escape From New York --- Escape From L.A. is a decent contender.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue May 24, 2022 12:58 am

Major League — Major League 2
Speed — Speed 2: Cruise Control
Zoolander — Zoolander 2

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue May 24, 2022 1:22 am

Blues Brothers- Blues Brothers 2000

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Movie Thread

Postby meow » Tue May 24, 2022 5:59 am

Does Jaws count? Same writer and producer, but different director.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue May 24, 2022 6:33 am

Escape from LA is good fun

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue May 24, 2022 6:33 am

This too looks like a blast

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue May 24, 2022 6:55 am

Escape from LA is good fun
It was almost certified fresh on RT. I enjoyed it.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 24, 2022 11:46 am

Nope. Gotta be same director, the person in control of the 'vision'. (What promoted the criteria for me was actually the talk of Alien3: Same producers and - to hear them tell it - writers as the original, but a different director. If you want to submit Alien and............. P-word, I'm all ears.)

But Jaws 2 is........... actually a decent movie imo. The biggest reason it suffers so badly in comparison is that the comparison is to one of the greatest films on all time.

Iirc it was PFiDC who shared the belief w me that the biggest problem with Jaws 2 isn't that they've got another monster shark on the loose, it's that the same schmuck who lead Amity into the first disaster is somehow still mayor.
Last edited by tifosi77 on Tue May 24, 2022 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Tue May 24, 2022 11:49 am

Yeah, Jaws 2 is okay. Jaws 3 is awful. Jaws 4 is hilarious.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue May 24, 2022 11:57 am

I watched Escape Room. It was dumb fun for most of it but oh my god the end was one of the most idiotic things I’ve ever seen in a movie. Not just that they pathetically set up the sequel but they did it with an Inspector Gadget-esque Big Bad reveal

It was so ridiculous

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue May 24, 2022 11:59 am

Godfather 1 & 2 -- Godfather 3

meow

Movie Thread

Postby meow » Tue May 24, 2022 1:26 pm

Nope. Gotta be same director, the person in control of the 'vision'. (What promoted the criteria for me was actually the talk of Alien3: Same producers and - to hear them tell it - writers as the original, but a different director. If you want to submit Alien and............. P-word, I'm all ears.)

But Jaws 2 is........... actually a decent movie imo. The biggest reason it suffers so badly in comparison is that the comparison is to one of the greatest films on all time.

Iirc it was PFiDC who shared the belief w me that the biggest problem with Jaws 2 isn't that they've got another monster shark on the loose, it's that the same schmuck who lead Amity into the first disaster is somehow still mayor.
Most of this is fair, but the wording “biggest drop off” doesn’t get Jaws 2 off the hook. It very well might be the biggest drop off out there. But since SS was not involved, I’ll yield.

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Tue May 24, 2022 1:45 pm

Watched: Everything Everywhere All At Once.

In short, it did better with Inception than Inception did. Wasn't bad. It was another feelings piece, as things tend to be these days, but it's a decent flick...fairly unique vehicle. Disappointed that it took 45-50 minutes to establish the rules, great movies get all the rules out on 15 minutes and they stick to that...this takes a while to get there, but it's decent.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Tue May 24, 2022 1:48 pm

Jamie Lee Curtis and an otherwise full Asian cast?

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Tue May 24, 2022 2:04 pm

That's right.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 24, 2022 2:42 pm

Most of this is fair, but the wording “biggest drop off” doesn’t get Jaws 2 off the hook. It very well might be the biggest drop off out there. But since SS was not involved, I’ll yield.
I guess I'm relying too much on the (intended) implication that 'drop off' meant 'bad movie'.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 24, 2022 3:43 pm

Watched: Everything Everywhere All At Once.

In short, it did better with Inception than Inception did. Wasn't bad. It was another feelings piece, as things tend to be these days, but it's a decent flick...fairly unique vehicle. Disappointed that it took 45-50 minutes to establish the rules, great movies get all the rules out on 15 minutes and they stick to that...this takes a while to get there, but it's decent.
I've been struggling to get through those first 45 minutes though. :lol: I'll give it another go tonight.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 24, 2022 4:15 pm

This looks good.

meow

Movie Thread

Postby meow » Tue May 24, 2022 4:25 pm

I guess I'm relying too much on the (intended) implication that 'drop off' meant 'bad movie'.
I think that’s the common thought.

Also. No mention of my pun “off the hook” with a shark movie? Come on now

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 24, 2022 4:29 pm

Good cast. Russo Bros can get the names these days.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue May 24, 2022 5:50 pm

This looks good.

Better look good, it’s the most expensive movie Netflix has produced. Can’t wait for them to raise prices to $30 per month for each person living in your household in order to pay for it.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 24, 2022 5:51 pm

Oof…

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Tue May 24, 2022 6:11 pm

Pretty funny releasing that alongside mission impossible trailer this week. After seeing both, it's no surprise one of those is popping up on Netflix and the other in theaters.

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Wed May 25, 2022 8:03 pm

Caddyshack to Caddyshack 2 is the biggest drop off…ever! But different directors. Coincidence that Dan Akroyd is in two of the biggest drop offs? Blues Brothers 2

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Wed May 25, 2022 10:05 pm

Speaking of Akroyd, I can definitely say that Ghostbusters: Afterlife is a movie. Yup. Sure was.