Movie Thread

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:46 am

I went in with the lowest of expectations but ended up loving The Matrix Resurrections. It wasn’t perfect and no sequel will ever touch the original, but I thought it was awesome. Easily the best sequel, which is saying something because despite not really liking 2 or 3 I always thought they gave a clean, concise ending and was unconvinced about going back to this universe, but I really like the direction this took and thought it improved where the story ended.

As nocera said, there’s a primary conceit you have to buy into for the story to work, which it did for me. Things that didn’t necessarily work:
- Old characters, new actors. I get why they went this route with Morpheus, and I think Yahya did a better job of the two, but his suddenly flamboyant and colorful clothing is a change for what is supposed to be the same character. Maybe it’s supposed to be representative of how Neo programmed him and it’s actually a recreation of Morpheus and not the same person?

- Kristoff was fine with the character he played, but that character was in no way Agent Smith. The dude in Revolutions did a much better job emulating Hugo Weaving.

- The flashbacks to the original trilogy were fine until it felt like they were in a quarter of the run time.

- I enjoyed the meta “Warner Brothers says they’ll do it with or without us” shtick toward the beginning of the movie, but The Merovingian showing up as Robin Williams in Jumanji, being extra French and ranting about his sequel series was a bit much.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:36 am

To your last point, it was annoyingly self aware in the first act. Took me out of it for sure.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Movie Thread

Postby count2infinity » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:29 am

We watched Encanto last night. Pretty good. Music had a very Hamilton vibe. Probably because Lin Manuel Miranda helped/wrote the music. Imagine Hamilton meets moana and you’ve got the soundtrack.

Gaucho

Movie Thread

Postby Gaucho » Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:47 pm

Don't Look Up is good. Thank god it's just a movie.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:53 pm

I just randomly tuned into Carrey's grinch movie from 2000. While Carrey's Grinch portrayal is actually pretty good imo, the whole portrayal of Whoville is bizarrely dystopian and really uncomfortable. I was rooting for the Grinch from almost the beginning.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Movie Thread

Postby count2infinity » Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:16 pm

The grinch never really hated Christmas. He hated loud annoying neighbors…can we blame him???

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:18 pm

Right?

Always hated that NTP66 Cindy Lou.

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:46 pm

Spider-Man was excellent. Marvel really knows how to do it.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:59 pm

Right?

Always hated that NTP66 Cindy Lou.

tjand72

Movie Thread

Postby tjand72 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:49 pm

I just realized tonight that Best in Show has an exterior flyover shot of Mellon Arena.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Movie Thread

Postby LITT » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:23 am

I went in with the lowest of expectations but ended up loving The Matrix Resurrections. It wasn’t perfect and no sequel will ever touch the original, but I thought it was awesome. Easily the best sequel, which is saying something because despite not really liking 2 or 3 I always thought they gave a clean, concise ending and was unconvinced about going back to this universe, but I really like the direction this took and thought it improved where the story ended.

As nocera said, there’s a primary conceit you have to buy into for the story to work, which it did for me. Things that didn’t necessarily work:
- Old characters, new actors. I get why they went this route with Morpheus, and I think Yahya did a better job of the two, but his suddenly flamboyant and colorful clothing is a change for what is supposed to be the same character. Maybe it’s supposed to be representative of how Neo programmed him and it’s actually a recreation of Morpheus and not the same person?

- Kristoff was fine with the character he played, but that character was in no way Agent Smith. The dude in Revolutions did a much better job emulating Hugo Weaving.

- The flashbacks to the original trilogy were fine until it felt like they were in a quarter of the run time.

- I enjoyed the meta “Warner Brothers says they’ll do it with or without us” shtick toward the beginning of the movie, but The Merovingian showing up as Robin Williams in Jumanji, being extra French and ranting about his sequel series was a bit much.
@Kraftster matrix wars sequel?

Gaucho

Movie Thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:06 pm

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:36 pm

New "The Batman" trailer...looks pretty pretty good.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:58 pm

Jfc yes it does.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Movie Thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:20 pm

Don't Look Up is good. Thank god it's just a movie.
It was pretty good, but there was an incredibly unbelievable part of the movie.
The lady Leo has an affair with is FAR too old for his taste :slug:

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:28 pm

Don’t look up, felt like it was a weird vibe watching it. Didn’t feel like a movie.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:46 pm

New "The Batman" trailer...looks pretty pretty good.

Looks great. Wish I didn’t watch that though. Feels like I’ve seen the whole movie.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:47 am

Watched Don't Look Up.

I give it two stars out of four. I love good satire, but not when it's in your face ridiculous for over two hours. Got very dark quickly. Started to feel like a vanity project after a while.

We watched it with my inlaws... When it was over, my MiL said she liked the message.

count2infinity

Movie Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:16 pm

We’ve watched encanto 3 times since it’s been available on Disney +. Love the soundtrack and the overall message: don’t burden younger generations with your fears, insecurities, and anger. Let them live their life. Or at least that’s what I took away from it.

Also, john leguizamo plays a fantastic crazy/misunderstood person.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:17 pm

Encanto is on the docket for a random movie night tonight.

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:20 pm

Watched Don't Look Up.

I give it two stars out of four. I love good satire, but not when it's in your face ridiculous for over two hours. Got very dark quickly. Started to feel like a vanity project after a while.

We watched it with my inlaws... When it was over, my MiL said she liked the message.

How do you feel about Idiocracy?

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:38 pm

Idiocracy is outstanding, even if it did end up being a non-fiction flick in the end.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:58 pm

From Facebook today.....
Space ship people get up from sleeping coffin and have eat. Computer woman find strange noisings on planet and astronauts go to seeing. Astronauts find big elephant man who dead then find too many egg.

Astronaut is possess by egg demon and new egg demon is come when eat bad noodle. Seven friends and cat all try to find egg demon before space ship go home but is hard working.

Who will life to escaping? Who is bad milk blood robot? Scream not working because space make deaf.

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:03 pm

From Facebook today.....
Space ship people get up from sleeping coffin and have eat. Computer woman find strange noisings on planet and astronauts go to seeing. Astronauts find big elephant man who dead then find too many egg.

Astronaut is possess by egg demon and new egg demon is come when eat bad noodle. Seven friends and cat all try to find egg demon before space ship go home but is hard working.

Who will life to escaping? Who is bad milk blood robot? Scream not working because space make deaf.

That sounds like a horror story written by AI.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:06 pm

It's from a bootleg Alien DVD in Hong Kong. :lol: